Headlight bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I drive a 2017 Ram Sport. I desire to replace the factory bulbs. What is the brightest off the shelf brand one can purchase or order? I barely see any illumination on wet roads. Dry pavement is ok. Thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I also have a 2017 Ram Sport with projectors. Nice truck man. Depends on what you choose. The brightest would be an HID retrofit, followed by LEDs. The stock factory halogens are the weakest.

I went with Headlight Revolution GTR 55W HIDs with 6000k bulbs. All it requires are the Smart ballasts and you’re good to go, plug and play. Illumination is right up there with OEM HIDs, pics below. Fog lights have Putco LEDs with 6000k as well. The 6000k produces a very pure diamond white with a very slight bluish tint around the edges.

5E7554CB-4633-4ED5-B45D-216A687E3437.jpeg

A63066E8-4158-4616-8C60-415EEB659F47.jpeg

645C66DE-3EAE-4009-A470-451AD166A240.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I also have a 2017 Ram Sport. Nice truck man. Depends on what you choose. The brightest would be an HID retrofit, followed by LEDs. The stock factory halogens are the weakest.

I went with Headlight Revolution GTR 55W HIDs with 6000k bulbs. All it requires are the Smart ballasts and you’re good to go, plug and play. Illumination is right up there with OEM HIDs, pics below.

View attachment 183449

View attachment 183450

View attachment 183451
In the photos, are the lights on hi or low beam? How is the illumination on wet pavement?

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In the photos, are the lights on hi or low beam? How is the illumination on wet pavement?

The first two pics are just the low beams, and the third pic is the low beams with the fog lights. I kept the stock halogens for the high beams because they do a fine job and I don’t use the high beams much anyways.

I forgot to mention, with the HID install the only other step is that you have to drill a small hole into your dust caps to run the wires through. But the package comes with a grommet that’s completely seals the hole so no issues with any moisture getting through.

The illumination on any pavement, wet or dry, is beyond awesome!

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The first two pics are just the low beams, and the third pic is the low beams with the fog lights. I kept the stock halogens for the high beams because they do a fine job and I don’t use the high beams much anyways.

The illumination on any pavement, wet or dry, is beyond awesome!
Where did you find a bulbs and what is it total cost?

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I've got a 2014 with projectors. Lights are terrible. Decided to try and upgrade the bulbs to silverstar ultra last night. Supposed to be the brightest halogens offered by sylvania. Didn't get much of a chance to drive last night, but I don't think they are much of an improvement. Looking like HID will be in my future.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got a 2014 with projectors. Lights are terrible. Decided to try and upgrade the bulbs to silverstar ultra last night. Supposed to be the brightest halogens offered by sylvania. Didn't get much of a chance to drive last night, but I don't think they are much of an improvement. Looking like HID will be in my future.

Do it man. You will not be sorry! Night and day (pun intended!) difference

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I read reviews about the Sylvania bulbs. Very few positive comments.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner

I put these in my 2014 2500. The OEM lights would barely light up the front bumper. Horrible and frankly somewhat dangerous. These lights were bright as hell and I think I started a few small brush fires when I pointed them off road. (Not really, but I was amazed at how well they lit up). I had standard Tradesman headlights and not projectors so not sure how that will compare to yours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-H11...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Do it man. You will not be sorry! Night and day (pun intended!) difference

I will pretty soon. With the time change coming up, I'll need something better.

I read reviews about the Sylvania bulbs. Very few positive comments.

Most of the negative reviews were about the bulbs having short life. I ran the ZXE in my last two motorcycles and really liked them, but decided to try the ultras in the truck, as they are supposed to be brighter. I needed something before the weekend, so I picked these up locally hoping to at least serve as a bandaid until I figure out what upgrade I want.

I put these in my 2014 2500. The OEM lights would barely light up the front bumper. Horrible and frankly somewhat dangerous. These lights were bright as hell and I think I started a few small brush fires when I pointed them off road. (Not really, but I was amazed at how well they lit up). I had standard Tradesman headlights and not projectors so not sure how that will compare to yours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-H11-9005-LED-Headlight-Hi-Low-Beam-for-Dodge-Ram-1500-2500-3500-2009-2017/323022705098?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

From what I have read on the forums, LED is the best route for reflector headlights, but HID is better for projector headlights. LED is still better than halogen though.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel

The first night I installed them, it had been raining, so I couldn't tell how they looked on a shiny road. Now that I've spent some time driving with them, I can say the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra are definitely an upgrade from what I had. Though I don't know the age of my last bulbs, and they didn't have a listed brand on them.
I stilll plan on looking into the HID route down the line.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The first night I installed them, it had been raining, so I couldn't tell how they looked on a shiny road. Now that I've spent some time driving with them, I can say the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra are definitely an upgrade from what I had. Though I don't know the age of my last bulbs, and they didn't have a listed brand on them.
I stilll plan on looking into the HID route down the line.

Once you go HIDs you will never go back. Big upgrade over LEDs