Headlights for dummies...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OK some good options to consider, thanks all for the info. @Lawsuit11 and @JoshR104 those pics are much appreciated - I think black is the way to go if I swap in Projectors.

@Lawsuit11 those are the polished black version, yes?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK some good options to consider, thanks all for the info. @Lawsuit11 and @JoshR104 those pics are much appreciated - I think black is the way to go if I swap in Projectors.

@Lawsuit11 those are the polished black version, yes?

Yes sir they are the polished black version. I purchased them off EBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/401707541781

Just FYI. I never installed the DRL wiring I just installed them and if I want to use my DRLs I just turn it on from the radio option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@78Staff in Summary and to keep things old guy simple as you originally requested. HID are made for the Projector Style Lights. LED are made for the quads (The housing you currently have) Both HID and LED have plug and play capabilities without having to splice cut or hack anything.
Before everyone gets nuts and tells me/you they have this with that and HID's in quads and LED in projectors yes, yes, its all possible and their are 8 millions brands out there that range all price points. With all things you get what you pay for, Sure little jimmy down the street bought a set of led's from amazon for $29 and they lasted 20 years, but there are hundreds of people that same bulb lasted a day.
My advice: Spend the money on a decent set of LED's and keep your quads unless you really want to change and do a little research

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
H11 to H9 conversion is probably going to be the cheapest mod for more light output for low beam on the quads.

Trim the top tab:

Trim out the piece out of the socket:

That and you can do a 9005 to 9011 conversion for the high beams as well. You would have to trim the top tab of the bulb like you would with the H9 conversion.

The other option is the LEDs as others have said. I was looking at LEDs but decided to go HID/LED conversion. Look at GTR Lighting Gen3's, Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0's, Supernova V4, even the Phillips have a good output in LED bulb offerings. The Hikari Ultras have gotten good reviews by members here.

Not promoting any particular brand, just what some of the reviews I have seen indicating an increase in output and that have good cutoffs and hotspots. Not scattered light and poor light performance.

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Underground Lighting 60W 10,000 Lumen Canbus plug and play LED in the quad housing. This is Low Beam only. 10 minutes to install
No resistors, No Anti Flicker Modules, No Cutting, No Decoders
59AEB54D-98C7-4618-85DB-3D682413A001.jpeg

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@Underground Lighting 60W 10,000 Lumen Canbus plug and play LED in the quad housing. This is Low Beam only. 10 minutes to install
No resistors, No Anti Flicker Modules, No Cutting, No Decoders
View attachment 166925

Have you noticed any flicker in these yet? I’m interested in a set. Do they have the high beams too?

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Have you noticed any flicker in these yet? I’m interested in a set. Do they have the high beams too?

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

No flicker at all

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
What part number did you use - I only see 60w/10k bulbs for projectors on the website?

https://undergroundlighting.com/pro...wo-projector-headlights~ju_headlight-low-beam
I saw same thing ... Thought the 10k’s were for projectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They list for projectors on their website I can assure you that LED's work best in non projector housings. Danny @Underground Lighting is a preferred vendor on here and can answer why he has it listed that way? The ones I installed were a brand new model so its possible the description is for the ones they replaced.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Yes they carry high beams too. From the conversation I had with Danny they carry a lot more than what their website shows. He also has discounts for forum members

Underground Lighting

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The H11 LED Quick Shifter is running will work in non projector housing. I just removed the projector option from the item page to not confused others. This Led is bright enough and the led placement is designed to work in a projector housing where a lot of leds suck in projectors. That is why we had it listed for projectors, however it 's not only for projectors. It will work on a reflector housing. We do have for high beam also.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The H11 LED Quick Shifter is running will work in non projector housing. I just removed the projector option from the item page to not confused others. This Led is bright enough and the led placement is designed to work in a projector housing where a lot of leds suck in projectors. That is why we had it listed for projectors, however it 's not only for projectors. It will work on a reflector housing. We do have for high beam also.

Thank you Danny-
@McBroom
@78Staff
@BOWERSFJ

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Curious anyone running or have pics of black/smoked with chrome grill - I was originally thinking they would look good due to darker grey paint, but since the front end has a lot of chrome essentially I'm not sure... Maybe it would tie the darker hood/fender with the lower grill valance together nicely though.

asXzkw6h.jpg

K9NzgbTh.jpg

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personal opinion, either you are chrome or you are not. If I was going to do the blacked out quads, Id color match the grill and bumper. I started down the road you are looking at, sourced all the parts,then decided that it wasnt worth it to me.
In your case, I would say switching the grill inserts to the black honeycomb might accentuate the black quads and help tie it in.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I love the chrome that’s on my truck. That’s one of the reasons why I bought it

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Personal opinion, either you are chrome or you are not. If I was going to do the blacked out quads, Id color match the grill and bumper. I started down the road you are looking at, sourced all the parts,then decided that it wasnt worth it to me.
In your case, I would say switching the grill inserts to the black honeycomb might accentuate the black quads and help tie it in.

Valid point, here's a set of blacks with chrome grill, not exactly the same but to me this looks bad. Not sure if it's all the white paint throwing it off or what.

screenshot-8.png

Yet here's a different truck with darker paint and chrome grill, which looks pretty good to me...

screenshot-9.png

And yet another dark truck/dark lights (different brand)/chrome grill, but this one doesn't look great

screenshot-10.png

Then there's chrome -

screenshot-11.png

screenshot-12.png

Decisions lol...

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The more I look, matching the bumper is the key. I think I will look at chromes not blacks.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That delmonico limited looks ok with black to me. It ties in with that grill. Everyone’s going to have their preference or own taste. I just offered up my experience. Its your Ram, make it yours!

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well decided to go with OEM Clear Projectors - picked up one side of the FS forum, and ordered the cables from RetroShop. Now searching for a passenger side.

Haven't decided on HID, I suspect I will install one but not sure on which yet. Might start with the Innovative 35w kit since it was already recommended and reasonably priced...