Headlights for dummies...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok been reading a bunch of headlight upgrade threads... Just getting more and more confused. Duals, Quads, Projectors, HID, LED, Ballasts, Resistors, Flicker, Hyperflash, Errors, oh my. :eek:

Would like to improve my stock headlights and possibly fogs. Like the look of OEM Projectors, but not really wanting to dump that much money into them plus adapters, etc. Don't want to split open headlights, don't want 14 ballasts/resistors/harnesses hanging all over.

Have what everybody refers to as "quads" I think. Basically looking for the old guy easy to install light upgrade. In my previous truck I just swapped out the bulbs for Silverstars I think it was, less than $100 for both lights. I take it that's not an option anymore.

So it appears the most strait forward swap would be something like TYC or OEM Projectors and RetroShop Projector Harness? But that's still going to be "stock" brightness lighting? Have to further upgrade with LED or HID to improve?

I gather from several of the threads one would not want to put HID bulbs in quad bezels due to lacking cutoff and light scatter issues, but is there an alternative simple bulb upgrade option for quads (and fogs) that provides serviceable light upgrade without breaking the bank? I've used Alfa to enable DRL's so would like to keep that enabled as well.

zvO6E8Nl.jpg

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at several different options for my 2018 Lone Star Silver Edition that currently has halogen bulbs in the same quad housings that you have. I choose the Supernova V.4 LED replacements. They have a great you tube video of replacing the low beams on a Ram, with the V.4's and they also replace the high beams with another Supernova product and turn signals as well. I finally ran across a guy in one of the Ram Clubs I participate in who made the change with the same Supernovas and the output is amazing. We put the trucks side by side and you could really see the difference. I went down about a mile then drove back into his light beam and they did not shine in my eyes, so they are set to mimic the halogen output of the beam. The replacement of the Supernovas are very simple plug and play and it comes with some sort of resistor to prevent flashing, but its small enough to fit completely inside the housing. Looking forward to getting the better light output since I drive mostly farm to market roads here in Texas getting to work and out to my farm. With all the hogs and deer we have running around I want to see them, if possible before meeting them in a way I have before and did not like at all. Hope this helps. I did take some pictures of the halogen output and will do the same after installing the Supernovas.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You can still just upgrade to Silverstars if that’s all you want to do ... I’m in the same boat as you ... It’s all a bit confusing ... Been kickin around the idea of just LED’s as a direct replacement from Vanquish Auto ... I don’t drive at night that much, so I don’t really want to invest that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EC6DB61C-D346-4C19-8503-FBC033162955.jpeg I’m currently running zxe bulbs in my headlights as a cheap upgrade. It was a noticeable improvement. I just installed led fogs. Supernova v4 in a yellow color. They are a huge improvement. I can’t believe the difference between the stock fog lamps and the led bulb upgrade. Well worth it in my opinion and I’m looking to upgrade my low beams to v4 led now as well. Pretty sure my fog lights are now brighter than my headlights. Still have a great cutoff as well

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So many options for u out there. LED would be the cheapest way to go. HID seems confusing but it's actually just as easy as LED just a couple more connections. But like I said HID in a reflector housing will cause problems. I used some cheap Amazon LEDs that I was happy with before upgrading to projectors. U can use LEDs in projectors as well just won't get the output of the HIDs. Hope this helps a little. If u ever do want to upgrade to a retrofit pair of headlights I do them as a hobby and then post them up for sale.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s a thread that I saw a week or two back that had some eBay lights that look similar to morinoto XB’s and the guys seemed happy with them. I’m super happy myself with the projector lights and 55w HID plug and play.
They won’t work on your reflectors tho

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^exactly
Reflector housing- halogen or LED
Projector housing- HID or LED but lower output quality

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok been reading a bunch of headlight upgrade threads... Just getting more and more confused. Duals, Quads, Projectors, HID, LED, Ballasts, Resistors, Flicker, Hyperflash, Errors, oh my. :eek:

Would like to improve my stock headlights and possibly fogs. Like the look of OEM Projectors, but not really wanting to dump that much money into them plus adapters, etc. Don't want to split open headlights, don't want 14 ballasts/resistors/harnesses hanging all over.

Have what everybody refers to as "quads" I think. Basically looking for the old guy easy to install light upgrade. In my previous truck I just swapped out the bulbs for Silverstars I think it was, less than $100 for both lights. I take it that's not an option anymore.

So it appears the most strait forward swap would be something like TYC or OEM Projectors and RetroShop Projector Harness? But that's still going to be "stock" brightness lighting? Have to further upgrade with LED or HID to improve?

I gather from several of the threads one would not want to put HID bulbs in quad bezels due to lacking cutoff and light scatter issues, but is there an alternative simple bulb upgrade option for quads (and fogs) that provides serviceable light upgrade without breaking the bank? I've used Alfa to enable DRL's so would like to keep that enabled as well.

zvO6E8Nl.jpg
Since you have the AlfaOBD, you’re pretty flexible with not having to deal with resistors, antiflicker modules, and all that garbage. If you like the factory/tyc projectors, check these out- https://www.amazon.com/ModifyStreet...8448433&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

They are built for quad trucks, and don’t require a conversion harness.

If you like the 2019 style headlights, check into these- https://www.amazon.com/ModifyStreet...ghts&qid=1558448624&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

You can run whatever HID kit you want with no worries using the AlfaOBD. I’m running the innovited 35w HID kit off of Amazon (~$40) with no problems.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Jimmy07 - I read through both of the big Modify Street threads - got confused b/c they kept talking about the extra harness to get DRL's, connecting to the BCM, etc - but I have already enabled DRL's for my Quads - so wasn't sure if I would need the DRL harness connected with those as well? Plus there were several comments about condensation that worried me.

Is this the Amazon innovative HID kit?
https://www.amazon.com/Innovited-Xe...vited+35w+HID&qid=1558467690&s=gateway&sr=8-5

@LoneStarSilver - Re the SuperNova's, I'll check into those as well - but at a quick glance they get spendy to replace all bulbs, (Is just replacing lows and fogs the norm, or highs also?) so it might be simpler just to switch to Projectors at that point. I'll dig into it some more...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
@Jimmy07 - I read through both of the big Modify Street threads - got confused b/c they kept talking about the extra harness to get DRL's, connecting to the BCM, etc - but I have already enabled DRL's for my Quads - so wasn't sure if I would need the DRL harness connected with those as well? Plus there were several comments about condensation that worried me.

Is this the Amazon innovative HID kit?
https://www.amazon.com/Innovited-Xe...vited+35w+HID&qid=1558467690&s=gateway&sr=8-5

@LoneStarSilver - Re the SuperNova's, I'll check into those as well - but at a quick glance they get spendy to replace all bulbs, (Is just replacing lows and fogs the norm, or highs also?) so it might be simpler just to switch to Projectors at that point. I'll dig into it some more...

If you don't use the drl harness included with the 2019 style you won't be using the drl feature for the headlights.

But since you have drl's activated already you don't have to use the drl harness. It's not required anyway unless you want to use the drl feature in the headlights.

I believe the comments about condensation were because it seems that when you get the lights the grommet for the drl wires are pushed in. So all that needs to be done is just push it back out. I've had zero issues.

As far as the bcm comments, that's just a mod to have a more factory drl option.

I hope this helps a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your just looking to do a simple, easy, say 20-25% increase in light output without messing with LED or buying projector housings, just do the H11 to H9 swap. I went from oem 55W H11 to 65W H9 Silverstars in my quads and it was plenty good enough for me. My investment:
A twin pack of bulbs, my install time which included just zipping a slot in the harness with a dremel cutoff wheel.
Easy upgrade, but its not going to blind anyone either...

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you don't use the drl harness included with the 2019 style you won't be using the drl feature for the headlights.

But since you have drl's activated already you don't have to use the drl harness. It's not required anyway unless you want to use the drl feature in the headlights.

I believe the comments about condensation were because it seems that when you get the lights the grommet for the drl wires are pushed in. So all that needs to be done is just push it back out. I've had zero issues.

As far as the bcm comments, that's just a mod to have a more factory drl option.

I hope this helps a little

If I went this route, I would likely go with the pre-2019 style, likely the exact one @Jimmy07 linked, or possibly the polished black - either would probably look good on Max Steel Metallic I would think. And so sounds like DRL harness wouldn't be an issue or needed since I have Alfa DRL's config'd anyway.

I see they offer some HID kit packages as well, but 6k/8k/10k - I though we wanted between 4-5K for best results?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If I went this route, I would likely go with the pre-2019 style, likely the exact one @Jimmy07 linked, or possibly the polished black - either would probably look good on Max Steel Metallic I would think. And so sounds like DRL harness wouldn't be an issue or needed since I have Alfa DRL's config'd anyway.

I see they offer some HID kit packages as well, but 6k/8k/10k - I though we wanted between 4-5K for best results?

4-5k will be white which is what a majority of people run. There is a debate on whether white or more yellowish gives you the best results.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If your just looking to do a simple, easy, say 20-25% increase in light output without messing with LED or buying projector housings, just do the H11 to H9 swap. I went from oem 55W H11 to 65W H9 Silverstars in my quads and it was plenty good enough for me. My investment:
A twin pack of bulbs, my install time which included just zipping a slot in the harness with a dremel cutoff wheel.
Easy upgrade, but its not going to blind anyone either...

That's a much more wallet friendly option :). Did you change the fog/driving lights also? The Dremel slit was required so that the bulb would connect to the harness/clip?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

zvO6E8Nl.jpg

@Underground Lighting they are a preferred vendor on this forum. I just did a write up on their brand new released bulb comparing it to the higher end Auxbeam bulbs. The guys name is Danny and he can set you up with bulbs. The guy has probably forgot more about lighting than half of us on this forum.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@78Staff I dont have fogs at all. The H9 has an additional tab in the socket vs the H11. If you search on here for H9 swap, there are some videos. You either have to cut the tab out of the bulb socket or zip a slit between the terminals on the truck’s harness plug. Its all encased in plastic, so to me zipping the harness plug was easiest. For the investment, this may be the easiest and cheapest upgrade for you. It was for me.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I went with Diode Dynamic SL-1 high & low beam and went with a cheaper fog light LED of Amazon. It was the one Boosted Motorsports video for $25. Huge difference all around.

I really liked the OEM Projectors, but like you, seemed to much money. Headlights, HID, harnesses, etc.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

zvO6E8Nl.jpg

So if you want good output get a set of tyc projectors get a quality set of HIDs with quality ballast and igniter.

Mount those up in the projectors and get alfa and set your headlamps to HID enabled. No need for a harness for HIDs or any kind of resistors.

I did a retrofit and running morimoto kit in my truck with alpha I shed a bunch of weight... funny thing is I still got bulb out warning with that harness after pulling it out plus the resistors and updating it with alpha it all works flawlessly and no bulb out warnings.

20190425_201445.jpg

20190503_205655.jpg

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have the 4th Gen style projectors for modifystreet on my ‘18 1500. I love them. I actually left the light bulbs that they come with in for about a week and they actually looked pretty good with the stock halogens. Also I used Alfa to change my light settings to LED and haven’t had a single problem with them flickering since I did that. No error cancelers needed if you have Alfa lol

I upgraded the bulbs to LEDs a few weeks after I installed them. If you have your DRLs set to turn signal with these they will stay amber on the bottom strip. Your running lights during night actually light the bottom strip white. Here are a few pictures of my polished black projectors and an output with my LEDs

0eeb43906dbd92840ae9b8a9cd0b38dd.jpg
995ce113a64fc9c59a9910b50691f2dc.jpg

This picture is of the light with auto on in the dark.
e18924f2000938dd8de8c002482c66e5.jpg

When turning on the blinker the bottom strip is a switch back so it will blink amber
e24448787443734ca89b75f56404d771.jpg

Here’s a picture of the light output with Hikari LEDs
b877f0dafae3d0217a3dae6031dd4db9.jpg

Here are some Hikari LEDs.
HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H7,2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKRKN5B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_66i5CbEFA3DJW

Only can get these for the low beam. The bad part about the above Hikari is the base is to long to install in the high beam. There is not enough clearance with the cap

So if you want Hikari in your high beam you will have to use a low profile LED. See below

HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H1, Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White, Adjustable Beam, 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQR2XWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b-i5CbP8Z581K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk