Headlights for dummies...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just realized I never reported back. Definitely a very noticeable improvement over the Quads, even with stock bulbs. I'm not sure why RAM even sells Duals and Quads when they have these available, they are that much nicer. Highly recommend the upgrade, although looking back getting the Modify Street versions instead of the OEM headlamps and Retroshop harnesses would have probably done just as well, and quite a bit cheaper to boot. But I had to have that Ram logo that no one will ever see lol.

Have them adjusted and went driving last night - never got flashed but I suspect they may be a smidge high - as the high beams seem to point higher than expected -not sure if that's alignment or difference in the lamp design. Also hard to tell as I was on lighted streets. I need to get on a less lighted road and confirm.

Now I just need to get of my butt and to the PTS install... it's just been so hot lately I haven't felt like tearing the rear interior and console out to put in the hub and antennas :oops:

Me too lol. I have my PTS ready to go and my auto wipers to install but I’m going on Vacation on Wednesday for a week so I’ll probably not get it done till the end of the month. Lol

Then I gotta figure out the next mod to do lol. Addiction can you say lol

—2018 Ram 1500—

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I also keep forgetting to put that radiator strip/cover back on lol. It's already cut for the Vararam so not sure if it's even doing anything. It's more of a cosmetic thing right?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I also keep forgetting to put that radiator strip/cover back on lol. It's already cut for the Vararam so not sure if it's even doing anything. It's more of a cosmetic thing right?

I threw mine away. It's a pain to deal with and I'm always messing with my lights (can't leave well enough alone). I'm not sure if it actually does anything other than cover the gap between the grill and radiator.

2018 2500 6.4L

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I threw mine away. It's a pain to deal with and I'm always messing with my lights (can't leave well enough alone). I'm not sure if it actually does anything other than cover the gap between the grill and radiator.

2018 2500 6.4L

IMO I think it’s just so nothing falls between the two lol.

—2018 Ram 1500—

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

2018 2500 6.4L

I might do the same, I kinda goofed the cut for the Vararam anyway lol.

Bennyrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thank you kindly! 3 years worth of cash, blood ,sweat, and tears. But truly worth it, best truck I've ever owned. I'll probably die still owning it.

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this thread started off discussing the quads, but I'd like to hijack it because, well, the title fits perfectly.

I have the OEM projectors on my truck. The light output is dismal. What options do I have? Should I buy a different headlight, different bulbs?

IMG_4262.JPG

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Check out You Tube for HID Retro Fit for Ram Headlights. There is a lot of information there.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great advice. Why do forums even exist? Thanks! Very helpful.
I'd suggest contacting Jeremy of RetroShop. His business is upgraded lighting, custom lighting, and retrofits. He'll be able to assist you with what you need to accomplish your goals.

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd suggest contacting Jeremy of RetroShop. His business is upgraded lighting, custom lighting, and retrofits. He'll be able to assist you with what you need to accomplish your goals.

I'm still in the research phases of doing anything. I'm more interested in what's entailed in an upgrade than just handing over wads of cash. From what I can tell, the headlight housing is too small to accept any sort of LEDs. Is that an accurate statement?

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never researched LEDs for my truck's headlights, but those that work in the industry, likely have the knowledge/information of what's involved/required.
Happy researching.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, this is older thread, but has all the history so figured I would post here...

All has been fine with the OEM projectors and Retro Shop harness since the install back in 19, but today I got a Right Front parking lamp out warning and the fast flash on the dash. Right front was not blinking, but right rear (and trailer) blinks as normal. The only unusual thing (maybe) is I did get it right after dropping my boat in the water at the ramp, but not sure why that would affect a Front lamp... Regardless, issue has persisted even after unhooking the trailer, so I think maybe just a coincidence

Got home, hooked up Alfa to check things and and all settings looked correct, but I re-set them to be sure. Seemed like it cleared things up, right front started blinking as normal both on dash and on headlight, but it came back on next startup. I did the test lamp function, and the right turn lamp will blink once and go out, while the left on will turn on and stay on when testing.

error is B16C3 - Front Right SideMarker Lamp Control - Short Circuit to Ground.

I don't know if I have a lamp/bulb issue (are projector sidemarker bulbs even replaceable?), a harness issue (do harnesses "go bad" over time?) or an alfa/config issue. Figure I will call RetroShop Monday, but wanted to post here as well to see if anyone had any ideas...

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thread went from simple to complex and $$$. Lol
I'm not looking for something over the top, just a little improvement in lighting in my quads that won't cause retina burn for the oncoming vehicles. Seems the H9s would be adequate for the task and is a pretty cheap option?