Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last night, I was driving, and it felt like my heat was blowing cold air. I started thinking my heat was going out or something, which would be horrible timing since it is in the single digits here. But I reach over to feel my passenger side, and it is blazing hot. What could be the issue there? Upfront, I don't much about how AC/Heat works. Thanks for any advice.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not much help here. First thing I'd check is the coolant in the radiator. Make sure it's topped off. If not, you may have a leak. When it gets low, it can do weird things like you describe. If it blows cold, then after a minute or so blows warm, then later cold again, that can indicate low coolant levels.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was a little low and even after topping it off my heat still isn't super hot. Not like my wifes Pacifica or my Charger. I don't have any leaks.

sottis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You only have 1 heater core, so if you have heat at all (and you said you did on the passenger side), then obviously the problem is blend doors.

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You only have 1 heater core, so if you have heat at all (and you said you did on the passenger side), then obviously the problem is blend doors.

After browsing the forum, I am assuming it is the blend door. I am confused about where that is at or if I need to remove my dash or not. I am thinking it is behind my glove box, does that sound right?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you do not have dual zone, I assume you do not on an Express.
Sounds like your heater core is restricted. The bottom of the heater core can get restricted, all he gunk settles to the bottom first.
The way the air flows through your HVAC housing the air from the bottom portion of your heater core goes to the drivers side, the air from the top goes to the passenger side.

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do not have dual zone, I assume you do not on an Express.
Sounds like your heater core is restricted. The bottom of the heater core can get restricted, all he gunk settles to the bottom first.
The way the air flows through your HVAC housing the air from the bottom portion of your heater core goes to the drivers side, the air from the top goes to the passenger side.

Correct, I do not have dual-zone. How do you go about cleaning out the gunk?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You could try a chemical flush. Usually you end up having to replace the heater core. How many miles do you have on it?

OP
OP
IARAM87

IARAM87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could try a chemical flush. Usually you end up having to replace the heater core. How many miles do you have on it?

Just turned 80K Miles lastweek

Bill Copple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To reset all HVAC doors travels: With blower on low, Press and hold the recirc button for ten seconds, release the button and then press it again and hold until the recirc light flashes. the doors will all go through thier travels and reprogram the actuators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank