HELP.... 2016 SLT.... Where to install pod lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 SLT quad cab.... im trying to figure out where the heck i can add LED pod lights to my truck... I am not opposed to cutting into my bumper but i want it to look clean. I do not have the bumper with the "slit" like most of you do that allows a 32" lightbar to be placed inside of it. I do not have factory fog lights so i want to add LED pod lights for my light up front. The small spot where tow hooks go is where i would like to put them but im not sure how i would attach them. I would like to do flush mount 4" pods. The plastic pieces that sit in there have a bevelled edge and would make it difficult to attach. I thought about adding a bracket to the edge of the opening but its flush and doesnt have a lip. Anyone added LED Pod lights to their SLT? I wouldnt be opposed to adding lights to the grille but its not my first choice... ive considered removing the license plate holder and making cut outs right there but i feel it may look odd having the tow hook opening with fog lights in between them... i attached a pic of my truck for convience.

The #1 most important thing is that it HAS to look clean. I see where "factory" fog lights would go but with how curved the bumper is they would not sit right there either.... I have considered just buying a whole new offroad front bumper but im not ready to drop $1000.

Attachments

• Ram .jpg
    Ram .jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Thanks! i did not see that... ive done quite a bit of search guess i had to search about 50 pages worth lol.... anyways the one on 447 is more what i would be interested in. I see in the post its an unidentified owner unfortunately.

Well, if nobody else has done what you want to do, you will be the first.......mine is the other one:happy107:. Don't forget to come back and show us what you come up with.

Attachments

• DSC00259.jpg
    DSC00259.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, if nobody else has done what you want to do, you will be the first.......mine is the other one:happy107:. Don't forget to come back and show us what you come up with.

Is that your truck?? How did you install them? I honestly like the look of that a lot... I plan to use them are fog lights while driving daily (i drive at night a lot cause i work midnights) so i worry those could be too bright. but do you have a write up?

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck in post 447 is mine. Here's a link to the thread I started on it.
http://www.ramforum.com/f41/led_light_bars_bumper-82098/

Let me know if you have any questions.

NICE!! i see that someone else has this bumper lol. I legit thought i was a loaner. I like how you mounted these a lot. im worried a 9.5" on each side will be a bit too much for daily driving with them on (not trying to blind people or get pulled over). do you have any more pictures of the rear of the bumper with the tow hook covers removed? I honestly need to crawl under the truck and see what im working with face to face but im just curious... in your opinion do you think theres a good way to get flush mount square pods to attach to the plastic tow hook covers?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There's is thread around here somewhere that covers how to add the factory fog light switch, where to tie in the wiring and the sales code needed which could be used with aftermarket LED's in the two tow hook spots like Swine did. At least that's what I plan on doing with my 2013 SLT v6/8spd truck, eventually.

1500Ram12's: Adding foglights to 2013+ tradesman/slt

Swine's: LED light bars in bumper

Basically I want the wiring setup from 1500Ram12's thread and the physical install of aftermarket pods from Swine's thread.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's next to impossible (for me at least) to get any decent pics behind the bumper. There's just not much room to work. You'll see when you get under there.

The lights are extremely bright. You definitely should not use them around any other traffic. Almost no way around that with the LED light bars. Even the little pods are like that IMO.

I don't think you can flush mount the little square pods that you commonly see guys use in the rear bumpers. Those lights are about 3" square and the mounting flanges make them around 4". There's not enough flat room on the plastic covers for that. You might be able to find some rectangular lights that would work (Rigid SR-Q maybe), but the cheap little cubes are too big.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's next to impossible (for me at least) to get any decent pics behind the bumper. There's just not much room to work. You'll see when you get under there.

The lights are extremely bright. You definitely should not use them around any other traffic. Almost no way around that with the LED light bars. Even the little pods are like that IMO.

I don't think you can flush mount the little square pods that you commonly see guys use in the rear bumpers. Those lights are about 3" square and the mounting flanges make them around 4". There's not enough flat room on the plastic covers for that. You might be able to find some rectangular lights that would work (Rigid SR-Q maybe), but the cheap little cubes are too big.

I was afraid the pods would be too big. I mean from the outside (didn't have time to look behind) the plastic piece and it looked too big.

I wouldn't mind maybe throwing someone 7 or 8" Lightbar in there. Making them sit flush/ centered in the holes. I hve wondered for a while now if I could throw some vht nightshade tint in the light bar to knock some of the light down or not. Not sure how it would hold up or how it would look. Saw some lights for $25 for 2x 8.5" bars. Might be worth the shot.

Or maybe I'll just wait till spring and pull the trigger on a new bumper that comes with pod lighthe mounts lol. Or I supposed I could buy a sport or non slt bumper too.

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Mine are 9" LED's (they are too bright for driving in traffic). I just used a "big ass" C-clamp to flatten the 90° bend in the original metal work to 45° and drilled a ½" hole

Attachments

• IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00260.jpg
    DSC00260.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 68

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Could go behind the grill as well. With the honeycomb grill there is very little light loss.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine are 9" LED's (they are too bright for driving in traffic). I just used a "big ass" C-clamp to flatten the 90° bend in the original metal work to 45° and drilled a ½" hole

Do you think i could tint them to knock some of the light down?

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could go behind the grill as well. With the honeycomb grill there is very little light loss.

Ive kind of thought that might be a good option but the would put the lights up quite high and even with aiming down im worried they will blind others especially since im trying to daily drive with them on.... i had a 28" light bar behind my ford explorer grille.... used to always drive with it on and never had an issue but it was bright AF:roflsquared:

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you think i could tint them to knock some of the light down?

You'd probably have to go pretty dark to have a much of an impact on the light output. My other pods have lightly tinted lexan (to cut down on shine of the reflectors) and it has no impact on the output.

You could always try a darker tint of lexan (polycarbonate) and see if that makes a difference. Polycarbonate is easier to work than acrylic and won't shatter, unlike the lenses that come on the lights.

Just search for tinted polycarbonate and you'll find several sources. You can also check ebay.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ive kind of thought that might be a good option but the would put the lights up quite high and even with aiming down im worried they will blind others especially since im trying to daily drive with them on.... i had a 28" light bar behind my ford explorer grille.... used to always drive with it on and never had an issue but it was bright AF:roflsquared:

Aimed down enough, you would be fine. I have amber SR's as one set behind my grill. They're aimed down a bit as they are truly intended to be fog lights. I get a pretty good throw down the road and a helluva throw to the sides and am rarely flashed when they are on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk