Help! Failed Lifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1500Josh2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Story:

Hey Ram Family, This is my first post and I feel terrible coming here for just advise, but hopefully I can grow with this family and continue to upgrade my ram. So I don't drag out what's going on. I have had a P0302 'Cylinder 2 Miss Fire Code" This was thrown while under heavy load. After changing the MDS Solenoid and spark plugs. IT did not fix the issue. After turning the motor by hand I noticed the Spring and value open about 15 percent on cylinder 2 . This leads me to believe the lifter is bad and possible scaring on the cam. Also the famous hemi tick is coming from cylinder 8 which leads to believe that lifter is failing, or failed. I am thinking of taking this project on myself. My mechanic level skill set is about 5.5 out of 10. The shops around here want $4000 to do the job with OEM parts i already paid 2200 for the diagnosis and current work that has lead us with the above issue. I understand that the MDS could be causing some if not the majority of these failed lifter issues.

Desired Outcome:

I would like to replace all the lifters, switch the cam out for a nice cam that adds all around performance and liability with a nice aggressive sound. Switch my clutch fan to the V6 Electrical fan. And maybe change the TB to a bigger mm. What else needs to be replaced ? timing chain ? other parts while the motor is torn down, open to thoughts.

Ram Spec:

2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Liter, 2wd, 4 door, Gear is 3.55, 112K Miles

Mods : Vararam Intake, Catch Can, Exhaust.

Questions:

1. What cam kit and lifter kit should I go with ?
2. What other parts need to be changed at my current mileage and part's need to do the job ( I work great with a list, so if you have one from doing this job sharing would be great!)
3. Should I take this on and save money ? Anyone in Greenville SC that has done this and want to help lol ?
4.Is there a DIY in the section area. I saw one DIY for the cam and then lifters. But one from start to finish and what order to replace each part. I know the lifters have been referenced to fall out if you don't have anything supporting them after removing the cam. So I assume with that being said you would do the cam 1st the the lifters.
5. Would you replace the springs ?
6. Would you need a tune after installing.
7. Do you do the MDS delete on this DIY rebuild.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's called the ramily, welcome.

This is our cam/lifter swap bible, chew on it and let us know what q's you have after.

Real the entire thread, there are some common mistakes I believe rod lengths or somehow put on wrong as common issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45