Help identifying noise when starting truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Malibuz0r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I just noticed this noise last night when I started my truck. This seems to only be happening when the truck hasn't been used for about 30-60 minutes.

Here's the video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ANGjt2ZsUE

The specific noise starts at about 0:13 and lasts about 3 seconds.

This is a 2014 RAM 1500 Lonestar (7,100 miles). I will be taking it to the agency for the warranty and get that checked/fixed. Just want a little info on what's actually making that. Thanks guys.

(Sorry if this is the wrong section for this)

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine does that sometimes. Let us know what you find out. And what the Hell is this agency your talking about taking it to.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hemi tick...my 5.7L did it for about 30 seconds into a warm up, my 6.1L does it as well.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's normal, sometimes the lifters may bleed down and it takes a second or two for them to get pumped up. It seems to be more common when the engine is still fairly new.

We get a aerated lifters sometimes with trucks that have sat on the lot for a few weeks, and it takes a few minutes of 2-3k RPM to get it to go away.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
it will get worse. Read the syn thread, my guess is that a high moly oil will help as it has with 80% of the forum members who have tried it. Also, it can also be the oil filter, I would recommend you get a Royal Purple filter down there. I have had the tick and solved it just with a Redline oil chnage, but the tick came back somewhat when I tried a different filter. My tick started around 3k mark, don't remember exactly. A great oil you can try would also be Penzoil Conventional (yes regular stuff) YELLOW BOTTLE. It is a high moly formula but is API cert. Don't use moly additives, it is better to use moly formulated oil that use organic moly. No that isn't normal, if it doesn't happen in all of the engines it is not normal. Moly (read) helps metal to metal contact when oil is not there, that is it's function and most oils has some of it. It isn't an exact science but helps most forum members that have used high moly oils, Redline mostly but I think I would try Penzoil Yellow Bottle first.

It is possible you have a bad valve in your filter, happens all the time. really consider running a Royal Purple filter. Only had one guy out of 10 that had a bad result with this combo, and the engine had a lot of miles, I presume hyper cleaning caused his issue.

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I may be way off base here but mine did this EXACT same thing. I found out that there was a recall on mine fore the manifold bolts breaking which caused a leak at the manifold. After a few seconds, everything would warm up and it would go away. Took it in and the dealer replaced the bolts. No more noise at all! Just an idea.

CapeRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's lifter bleed down it's happened to mine a couple of times but certainly not every time I start it.
Definitely not manifold bolts, I have had both sides done on my truck so I know what that sounds like.
Have you had a recent oil change?