HELP - Purchasing a Ram and I need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi,

I need help. I am in the market for a Ram 1500, preferably a 4th gen, crew cab, short bed 4WD. Ill be honest I do not have a huge budget, and looking at trucks im noticing that all the trucks are super high milage. I know the car market is on fire and prices are up but I have a few questions and I thought it would be best to ask here:

Is the 5.7 HEMI reliable? like to the point where I wont have to worry about purchasing a Ram with over 100K miles? If it isnt whats the best engine to lean towards in terms of reliability?

Do 4th gen 1500s have blind spot? I live around a big city and I frequently commute into the city and honestly having blind spot is pretty important.

This is my first time buying a Ram. ive loved them for a while but just havent had the budget for a pickup. Ive heard they are big vehicles and drive as such, this must be a hard question to ask but is it hard to drive one? Are there any specific items/extras on a Ram that I should look for?

Thank you all for helping I am really lost in what to get. Any advice would help so much.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Some rams have had a lifer and camshaft failure. I haven’t. Many hemi engines achieved 300000 miles. Broken manifold bolts are very common. If the truck your considering doesn’t have service records, I’d pass.

My advice is to wait until the supply chain is corrected before you buy. Also, have mechanic that you trust go over any truck you’re considering.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome. Good luck on your new (for you) tk shopping. Rams are pretty good from the front, but an extended or 4dr cab do have blind spots. All new vehicles have blind spots ..they just keep getting worse. If you can find a TK with a rear camera that's helpful. I agree with you, they're EXPENSIVE now. Trucks are at an all-time market high price. As you've probably noticed. Used tks with 80k mi selling for way more than they were a few years ago.

In such an environment, it's difficult to imagine the truck market sustaining the peak that it's at. Let's hope things don'tt come to that, but if you're a cash buyer, you'll be sitting pretty. (unless you like buying at the peak of the market).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Some rams have had a lifer and camshaft failure. I haven’t. Many hemi engines achieved 300000 miles. Broken manifold bolts are very common. If the truck your considering doesn’t have service records, I’d pass.

My advice is to wait until the supply chain is corrected before you buy. Also, have mechanic that you trust go over any truck you’re considering.
thank you very much. I heard HEMIs can last long if properly maintained. theres one truck im looking at, 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD crew cab with short bed. Has 165,000 miles on it and service records look decent, although id rather have a mechanic go over it. Very helpful thank you!

OP
OP
F

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Welcome. Good luck on your new (for you) tk shopping. Rams are pretty good from the front, but an extended or 4dr cab do have blind spots. All new vehicles have blind spots ..they just keep getting worse. If you can find a TK with a rear camera that's helpful. I agree with you, they're EXPENSIVE now. Trucks are at an all-time market high price. As you've probably noticed. Used tks with 80k mi selling for way more than they were a few years ago.

In such an environment, it's difficult to imagine the truck market sustaining the peak that it's at. Let's hope things don'tt come to that, but if you're a cash buyer, you'll be sitting pretty. (unless you like buying at the peak of the market).
thank you so much. I am looking at a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 4dr 4wd and it has 165,000 miles on it. seems like It has had a good service record, no damage. I think I should probably wait a bit for the car market to go down, I dont have a dire need for a Ram (my car works fine as is) so I can wait a bit. any other advice would help so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2019 ram classic,one thing I have learn,every truck is different, my engine develop a hemi tick before reach 28.000km,at that time I drove with 5w20 shell rotella full synthetic oil and fram ultra synthetic oil filter,after I go back to conventional 5w20 oil and mopar oil filter,after 2000km the tick dissapeared ,so every hemi engine is different.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regarding blind spots, if you aim the mirrors to where the inside edge is just beyond the point where you see the side of the truck, and aim it down so you can see cars next to you (not just way behind) you will be fine. I also add WadeStar blind spot mirrors (he's a member here).

I live in Long Island, and commute into Brooklyn for work. My truck is my second vehicle, but I do drive it into Brooklyn. Once you learn the vehicle you will be fine. Be sure to get a backup camera and if you have the money, the parking sensors. If you have to parallel park sensors and camera are a must have. Also, I don't think backup cameras were required to be standard until 2018 (I have a 2015). Also the 8.4 screen system makes the backup camera useable even for solo trailer hookups.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That tk looks nice. But it's a lot of miles too. At that mileage you're getting quite a ways into the 'risk zone' in terms of reliability, repair costs, downtime, etc. Lot of factors come into play like how much you drive in a day/year, your mechanical ability, and your ability (and tolerance) to handle 'potential' downtime and possible absorbiant repair costs.

You could possibly drive that truck 50k miles and perhaps not have a single major repair. Then again, the cam could fail in 5k miles and cost you $5k-7k to replace (depending how you handle an engine repair). Then the tranny could go out in 2 years (??). But then again maybe it'll never give an issue. A mechanic looking at it can decipher 'trends' but can never predict longevity.

If you're the kind of guy who can handle risk, has some cushin-money in the bank to handle problems, and a spare set of wheels to drive should something go wrong tomorrow, knows how to handle things, then, it might be the perfect tk for you. I myself am a risk-taker and drive my vehicles up to high miles. I've had almost no major problems. But then I maintain the heck out of my tks too. But still that's no guarantee. I realize an engine could give out tomorrow, or wheelbearing/tranny/computer, etc ...and that would be ok with me if they did. I can deal with those.

On the other hand, I have many neighbors and friends who aren't mechanical-savvy, where the smallest infraction seems to be a life-altering event that leaves them quaking. And some people are check-to-check on their finances and the prospect of an engine failing on the highway and no other means of transportation ..they just couldn't handle something like that. So for people in that end of the spectrum, a very low mileage or new car with a cushy/soft/blanket warranty is almost a 'must have'.

So, where do you fit into that spectrum? Overall it looks like a very nice truck, and my tk has more miles than that. Mine drives great and engine feels strong. Hemi engine cam's are kind of the weak spot. Did you check records to see if the engine has been worked on? Maybe the cam already failed and was replaced 20k ago. Which would be nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Regarding blind spots, if you aim the mirrors to where the inside edge is just beyond the point where you see the side of the truck, and aim it down so you can see cars next to you (not just way behind) you will be fine. I also add WadeStar blind spot mirrors (he's a member here).

I live in Long Island, and commute into Brooklyn for work. My truck is my second vehicle, but I do drive it into Brooklyn. Once you learn the vehicle you will be fine. Be sure to get a backup camera and if you have the money, the parking sensors. If you have to parallel park sensors and camera are a must have. Also, I don't think backup cameras were required to be standard until 2018 (I have a 2015). Also the 8.4 screen system makes the backup camera useable even for solo trailer hookups.

that helps so much. Thank you. I need to talk to him as honestly blind spot seems important, but If I learn how to avoid big blind spots it would be a lifesaver. I have to find Wadestar blind spot mirrors. this really helps thank you so much

OP
OP
F

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That tk looks nice. But it's a lot of miles too. At that mileage you're getting quite a ways into the 'risk zone' in terms of reliability, repair costs, downtime, etc. Lot of factors come into play like how much you drive in a day/year, your mechanical ability, and your ability (and tolerance) to handle 'potential' downtime and possible absorbiant repair costs.

You could possibly drive that truck 50k miles and perhaps not have a single major repair. Then again, the cam could fail in 5k miles and cost you $5k-7k to replace (depending how you handle an engine repair). Then the tranny could go out in 2 years (??). But then again maybe it'll never give an issue. A mechanic looking at it can decipher 'trends' but can never predict longevity.

If you're the kind of guy who can handle risk, has some cushin-money in the bank to handle problems, and a spare set of wheels to drive should something go wrong tomorrow, knows how to handle things, then, it might be the perfect tk for you. I myself am a risk-taker and drive my vehicles up to high miles. I've had almost no major problems. But then I maintain the heck out of my tks too. But still that's no guarantee. I realize an engine could give out tomorrow, or wheelbearing/tranny/computer, etc ...and that would be ok with me if they did. I can deal with those.

On the other hand, I have many neighbors and friends who aren't mechanical-savvy, where the smallest infraction seems to be a life-altering event that leaves them quaking. And some people are check-to-check on their finances and the prospect of an engine failing on the highway and no other means of transportation ..they just couldn't handle something like that. So for people in that end of the spectrum, a very low mileage or new car with a cushy/soft/blanket warranty is almost a 'must have'.

So, where do you fit into that spectrum? Overall it looks like a very nice truck, and my tk has more miles than that. Mine drives great and engine feels strong. Hemi engine cam's are kind of the weak spot. Did you check records to see if the engine has been worked on? Maybe the cam already failed and was replaced 20k ago. Which would be nice.
I have a backup vehicle so im considering. its a dark blue loaded Laramie which apparently has blind spot which is why I asked about blind spot. I am going to go check right now if the tranny/engine has been worked on, it would be nice to know that the truck has some level of work done so it wont give out in 5K miles.
I also found a 2015 limited with 98K miles with a suspiciously low price of 25k.( I say low because the other ones with that level of miles etc are 30-35K) .... says minor damage apparently cosmetic. it says 4 owners so it must have been driven hard into the ground. Thoughts? could it be too good to be true?

I really appreciate all the help, this is a first truck and honestly im not looking to buy a truck that will give out instantly. I want a Ram so im trying to get a feel of how well it runs used. BRB for the engine check.

EDIT: I see no indication of work. here's the link to CARFAX for the truck. It says vehicle failed VA inspection so that might be a little worrying...

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd have a tough time buying any vehicle with that many miles (175k) on it, mine (2010 Laramie) is currently sitting at 180k and I'm in the process of possibly buying a newer one. These trucks are awesome but they have their issues, exhaust manifold bolts are one that've been dealing with for several years. I've also had to replace the transfer case, 2 front cv joints, a bearing in the rear end and the shift solenoid in the transmission but I consider that wear and tear as I drive this truck daily and do a fair amount of towing with it. Whatever you do, take your truck to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over, it's well worth the investment and peace of mind knowing exactly what you're getting.

OP
OP
F

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'd have a tough time buying any vehicle with that many miles (175k) on it, mine (2010 Laramie) is currently sitting at 180k and I'm in the process of possibly buying a newer one. These trucks are awesome but they have their issues, exhaust manifold bolts are one that've been dealing with for several years. I've also had to replace the transfer case, 2 front cv joints, a bearing in the rear end and the shift solenoid in the transmission but I consider that wear and tear as I drive this truck daily and do a fair amount of towing with it. Whatever you do, take your truck to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over, it's well worth the investment and peace of mind knowing exactly what you're getting.
great advice, thank you. making sure the truck is in good condition is a must. im not totally sure if I completely trust CARFAX reports only because I havent seen the truck (one of the problems w/ buying online). thank you so much. I mentioned to someone else I found a Laramie limited with 98k miles for 25K.... it says minor damage also 4 owners... not sure if that is too good to be true or if someone is actually selling it for that much.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
great advice, thank you. making sure the truck is in good condition is a must. im not totally sure if I completely trust CARFAX reports only because I havent seen the truck (one of the problems w/ buying online). thank you so much. I mentioned to someone else I found a Laramie limited with 98k miles for 25K.... it says minor damage also 4 owners... not sure if that is too good to be true or if someone is actually selling it for that much.
You should be able to search back on the owner history and it should tell you what you need to know. Not sure how old that truck is but 4 owners does seem like a lot to me but the search will clarify that for you.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
thank you so much. I am looking at a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 4dr 4wd and it has 165,000 miles on it. seems like It has had a good service record, no damage. I think I should probably wait a bit for the car market to go down, I dont have a dire need for a Ram (my car works fine as is) so I can wait a bit. any other advice would help so much!
I would take a hard pass on that if I were you. That truck has almost double the mileage it should have..... unless it was driven all highway miles or something.

OP
OP
F

FakeDistress703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would take a hard pass on that if I were you. That truck has almost double the mileage it should have..... unless it was driven all highway miles or something.
Whats an appropriate amount of miles for a used truck to have? Ive gotten different advice from different people, and basically, is there a normal amount of miles for a truck under 25K? is there a "hard stop" amount of miles I should look for when purchasing a truck for that much?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
15k miles a yr is a common number. Some people drive 20k. Some drive a heck of a lot more. I have typically gone for vehicles that had a lot of hwy miles racked up in a fairly short amt of time. They've done me good over the yrs. My ram had a lot of hwy miles on it when I got it. But again, it comes down to your ability to deal with issues (small or expensive) which could come up. That's not to scare you but to prepare you for the real prospect of problems. And if not that many issues arise, hey, you come out on top!

Moinky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Miles aren't much source of concern for me on their own. There's a huge difference between city miles and highway miles. Just like there's a huge difference between hauling miles and long distance travel miles. A worked truck will have more potential for repairs required simply because the truck is being used to it's potential, and wear/tear is to be expected. A highway cruiser that eats miles isn't (usually) going to have as much wear and tear to the vehicle short of the consumables and minor suspension wear (links, bushings, balljoints, wheel bearings, pads/rotors park shoes etc) A truck that's hauled long distance most of it's life however will have a lot more stress to the power train, and internal clutch packs/solenoids.

Service history is key - and if you're going to be getting a used high mileage truck a good way to negotiate the deal is to ensure that all recommended services are caught up to the mileage of the vehicle. Spark plugs, differential and transmission services where applicable. Fuel system, coolant, brake system, alignment etc. At least anything that could be a surprise at that point will be uncovered.

Lastly, protect your asset. If you're going to be putting in the money for something like this - consider an extended service contract. From Chrysler they can offer things like 3 year 30,000 mile used vehicle warranties. If the dealership is offering the warranty, then it's got a solid history. (Chrysler won't allow that warranty code for hoopties). It may tack on a couple thousand in the sale price - but he amount of times I've seen these comprehensive contracts come clutch for major repairs is worth it's cost.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What thought to be the culprit as far as cam / lifter failure is high idle time. To check that, using the arrow buttons on the steering wheel left side, scroll down 1 screen from the speed readout screen then scroll left to get hours. Anything over about 15% of idle versus drive miles is one to worry about. Also check for broken exhaust manifold bolts. A quick check is pull on the manifold heat shields & make sure they're tight. Another good piece of advice, never buy any vehicle until you've heard it start when completely cold. Lift the hood & feel the engine & make sure it's completely cold as in sitting all night cold. Then start it & listen for tapping. Broken bolts will sound like a loud tap or tick which usually quiets down after a few minutes as the manifold expands & seals the leak. Run away if there's tapping.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also, your best friend is an OBDII code reader. If you don't own one get one and be familiar with how to use it to read any possible stored codes before truck shopping. There can be stored codes without having the Check Engine light coming on.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, the only way I would be purchasing a vehicle in this market would be to order a new one as that is about the only way to get a deal. The used vehicle market is so overpriced that when the market corrects itself (maybe in 23?) the value of used will drop dramatically from where it is currently. Probably not to the levels before covid, but it will drop some.