Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathan Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys im new on here. Not sure if im posting this on the correct spot but i need help with my air conditioning. The vehicle is an 06 ram 2500 4×4 mega cab. When i bought it the a/c didn't work. I took it to a shop and was told the evaporator was leaking and that i needed a new thermistor probe that stabs into the evaporator. They wanted to charge me more than i was willing to pay so i brought the truck home and did the job myself. The truck still blows warm air. When i turn the ac on the clutch engages but never cycles on/off. Had guages hooked up to it. It read around 35 low side and only 50 on high side. Outside temp was 75 degrees. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you replace the evaporator and the temperature probe in the evaporator?

Did you check the blend doors while you had the HVAC case split apart?

Did you replace the liquid line? The liquid line runs behind the air filter housing and along the right inner fender rail and connects directly to the high side (small line) at the evaporator.

Did you replace the accumulator?

How long did you vacuum the system?

Did you charge the system with cans and a hose or did you have a shop charge it with an A/C machine?

With only 50psi on the high side while the compressor is running it makes me think the compressor has failed and is unable to compress the gas to raise the pressure.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I did replace evaporator and temp probe. Had to get temp probe used because the dealer told me its a discontinued part.

I did check all the doors while i had the case apart.

Replaced accumulator and the wet line that holds the orifice tube.

Ran the vacuum pump for 30 minutes and then let it sit another 30 minutes. I charged it with the stuff from Auto zone the a/c pro stuff.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good for you to do the repairs and check everything that you did. The only thing I would have done different would be using a different refrigerant that doesn't have a sealer inside.

Now, with your gauges hooked up and the engine off, what are your pressures?

Are they even like the system has equalized?

If you still have warm air and only 50psi on the high side I still suspect a compressor failure occurred.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put on new compressor and used what refrigerant i had left. Was blowing cold. Then when i added more to fill the system i had a line blow out.....dont think i got the liquid line pushed all the way in....oops!!!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Aww man. Make sure you clean up the line ends real good and make sure you hear the spring snap when you connect them together. Im glad to hear that it was blowing cold air after the compressor was installed. That was my personal diagnosis ever since reading your first post. Good for you to do the repairs yourself and getting it done. Mopar to you!