Help with break bleed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Yesterday I switched out the HCU for ABS system on my 2018 3500 6.4l. I did the initial bleed then ran the ABS bleed in Alpha. I expected to have to open all 4 valves but it only did the passenger front and rear. I did it twice to make sure I didn't screw it up but started on front right then went to rear right and said completed successful. It definitely did a good job bleeding that side out. I went to driver rear and front and started to bleed with hand pump and did not see any larges bubbles coming out so seems to be ok. Used three 12 oz bottles of DOT3 to keep reservoir filled.

Drove around today and breaks work fine, just doesn't seem as stiff as it was before. Start feeling breaks maybe 3 or 4 inches after touching them. Could that be just because I installed new HCU and system not fully pressurized?

I also couldn't get truck to start after installing new HCU. Found code C0020-01 in there for "ABS pump motor Control-General Electronic Failure." Cleared that and it started right up.

Anyone have some insight who has done this before? Thanks.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
You need to do another standard bleed after doing the ABS. Here's from the shop manual;

STANDARD PROCEDURE - ABS BRAKE BLEEDING

ABS system bleeding requires conventional bleeding methods plus use of a scan tool. The procedure involves performing a base brake bleeding, followed by use of the scan tool to cycle and bleed the HCU pump and solenoids. A second base brake bleeding procedure is then required to remove any air remaining in the system.

1. Perform base brake bleeding (Refer to 05 - Brakes - Standard Procedure) .
  2. Connect scan tool to the Data Link Connector.
  3. Select ANTILOCK BRAKES, followed by MISCELLANEOUS, then ABS BRAKES. Follow the instructions displayed. When scan tool displays TEST COMPLETE, disconnect scan tool and proceed.
  4. Perform base brake bleeding a second time (Refer to 05 - Brakes - Standard Procedure) .
  5. Top off master cylinder fluid level and verify proper brake operation before moving vehicle.

OP
OP
Gordo2212

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
You need to do another standard bleed after doing the ABS. Here's from the shop manual;

STANDARD PROCEDURE - ABS BRAKE BLEEDING

ABS system bleeding requires conventional bleeding methods plus use of a scan tool. The procedure involves performing a base brake bleeding, followed by use of the scan tool to cycle and bleed the HCU pump and solenoids. A second base brake bleeding procedure is then required to remove any air remaining in the system.

1. Perform base brake bleeding (Refer to 05 - Brakes - Standard Procedure) .
  2. Connect scan tool to the Data Link Connector.
  3. Select ANTILOCK BRAKES, followed by MISCELLANEOUS, then ABS BRAKES. Follow the instructions displayed. When scan tool displays TEST COMPLETE, disconnect scan tool and proceed.
  4. Perform base brake bleeding a second time (Refer to 05 - Brakes - Standard Procedure) .
  5. Top off master cylinder fluid level and verify proper brake operation before moving vehicle.
Those are the procedures I followed except not doing a last manual bleed on the right side. I have more fluid so I'll do another manual bleed tomorrow I suppose to make sure all the air is out.

Thanks for the info.