HEMI belt/pulley squeak...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B0N3C0ll3CT0R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Seem to have this reoccurring issue with a belt/pulley squeak on cold starts. Does it in warmer temps until truck heats up, doesn't do it in winter. Is there a fix for this or am I the only one? Both my '18 and now my '21 PW. Can't win the lottery, but both my PWs are the only ones on earth that have this issue? TIA for any insight!

/30N3 C0ll3CT0/2

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I won't say you're the only one, but generally speaking belt squeal comes from the belt being too loose, either from wear (stretching) or the tensioner spring aging and not applying enough pressure. Sometimes it is caused by a sticky pulley but with yours both being relatively new that shouldn't be your issue. It could also be a glazing of the rubber but again, your trucks are relatively new so I wouldn't think that would be it.

How you drive and how the vehicle is used has a major effect on how long the belt lasts as well. A belt that spends a lot of time at steady state (i.e. long highway drives with very little speed fluctuation) will last a LOT longer than a belt that sees a lot of stop-and-go or a lot of engine on/engine off cycles.

There is also the possibility of pulley misalignment, but that is usually caused by damage or improper assembly - again, this shouldn't be your issue if your trucks have never been wrecked or the engines worked on.

I bought my 2017 brand new and I think I put a new belt on at 60k miles but I can't remember. I'll have to go through my records to check. I'm at 85k now and no belt squeal.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got 40,000 on my 2019 classic. I had the same issue. Bought a gates green heavy duty belt for $25 at rock auto that solved the issue. Almost $50 at oreilly

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got 40,000 on my 2019 classic. I had the same issue. Bought a gates green heavy duty belt for $25 at rock auto that solved the issue. Almost $50 at oreilly
GATES green is a great belt,. My odometer is just about ready to turn 20K on MY 19 (bought in 18) Bighorn, and the belt looks fine. But my truck also cycles a lot on short drives in extreme heat, so the minute I think ne issue a GATES will go on the truck, LOL.

OP
OP
B0N3C0ll3CT0R

B0N3C0ll3CT0R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
May have to try this! TY!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice catch. Get him mounted? LOL I kid.
I like how it chose the snap trap over the sticky trap…rather then suffer for a while and then die, lets just get it over with lol