Hemi Exhaust tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markymark1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to let everyone know that replacing the exhaust bolts no matter what type you use will not cure the exhaust tick. You HAVE to replace the right side exhaust manifold along with all the bolts or upgrade to headers. The right side manifold is warped at # 8 exhaust port. As soon as you start hearing the tick, replace it immediately and maybe you will get away with just pulling out one broken stud with vice grips. If it goes on too long other bolts will brake flush with the head and then you have to weld a nut to the stud to get them out. I have replaced many of these in my shop and this is what I have experienced. Please look at the attached picture and notice gap under cyl. Number 8
upload_2020-2-7_22-11-9.jpeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as replacing the manifold I think I have read somewhere on here that you can get the original manifold machined flat and it will not re-warp. Wondering what is the best bolts to replace with? I have seen recommendations for ARP but they have 2 different finishes and 12 point or hex. I am planning on fixing mine soon and I’m sure I will have broken bolts.

OP
OP
M

Markymark1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would just put a new aftermarket one on or headers. As far as the bolts go, it doesn’t matter how strong the bolts are. If the manifold warped it’s going to snap any bolt made. Put a Dorman manifold on it and any aftermarket bolts and be done with it

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the right side manifold leak before the weekend. Got the truck in today and found out I only had 4 days left on the 100,000/6 yr warranty. They wanted $305 to fix it without broken bolts. For that price I could get aftermarket headers and replace it myself.

kelly d coleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard that replacing the stock manifolds with good headers is the only way to fix this. true???

OP
OP
M

Markymark1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dorman makes and aftermarket manifold with a lifetime warranty. Got it at Advance Auto parts for about $60 after 25% coupon applied. Got the bolts on Amazon for about $25. Headers are a good way to go, but will be a little noisy and put off a lot of heat.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You’re better off just getting the manifold machined. It’s cheaper and much more likely to be a permanent repair. A new manifold will still warp were as one that’s already warped and machined flat again likely won’t, or not nearly as much.

Ive probably done the repair well over a 100 times. I’ve seen ones come back that had the job done before with a new manifold. Never seen one come back that had it machined.

The spec is only 0.008” per foot. Most ones I’ve seen are warped between 0.030”-0.060”. Which is substantially over spec.

OP
OP
M

Markymark1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think time will tell either way you go. The most miles I’ve seen so far with aftermarket is about 58,000 with no issues. I believe the aftermarket manifold is made way better than the original OEM Mopar

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt the dorman warranty covers warpage.
Just like brake rotor warranties do not cover it.

Machining the original is a good option.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Would a thick smashable gasket help? Copper or something soft?

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Nice job, but replacing my broken bolts fixed my manifold leak two years ago. Still truckin

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Cast iron is cast iron, you can deviate chemistry/hardness slightly but it's still going to have similar elasticity and deformation with the temperature variation of an eagle head. Surface grind or milling true is a long term option if you have an experienced machinist that has adequate fixture/gaging , but a 3/8" thick steel flange is much more resilient in this application.

Last edited:

DsrtRat08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few weeks ago I noticed the tick on start up on my 2017 with 41,000 miles. Since it is still under warranty I took it into the dealer. The said they replaced one bolt on the passenger side and the tick is gone. Unfortunately I know its going to happen again. Eventually I will put some nice headers on it but until it gets to 60,000 miles and out of warranty might as well let someone else skin their knuckles up and use some choice words as long as you can.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As for Dorman manifolds, not all of their manifolds align correctly and it’s a shot in the dark when you purchase them. Id either have your originals machined or grab shorties, Longtubes if you have the funds!
Remflex is said to be the best gasket for a perfect seal. I went with Flepro and haven’t had any issues, but this was after the fact of learning of Remflex.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s been my experience with the aftermarket manifolds as well. We’ve tried them 2 or 3 times and each time they didn’t fit worth ****, bolt holes didn’t line up properly.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
seams no one likes headers, is the performace gain worth it or not??
there worth it. but for us 6.4 guys there alot of money. for the 5.7 guys there are way more out there and better prices to.

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few weeks ago I noticed the tick on start up on my 2017 with 41,000 miles. Since it is still under warranty I took it into the dealer. The said they replaced one bolt on the passenger side and the tick is gone. Unfortunately I know its going to happen again. Eventually I will put some nice headers on it but until it gets to 60,000 miles and out of warranty might as well let someone else skin their knuckles up and use some choice words as long as you can.

My dealer replaced all bolts when I had mine in for the exhaust tick. They said only a few were broke but they replaced them all. Hope yours go before the warranty ends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith