Hemi growl question and gearing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Robert, how would your test have turned out if you had 4.10s instead of 3.55s?

Since someone else already brought it up, I also find irritating that people are either too lazy or uneducated to use proper punctuation. Those type of posts are just hard to figure out sometimes. If you want to be considerate of your fellow Members, it takes just a couple of extra seconds to do it correctly.

Octane

Reaction score
Hey Robert, how would your test have turned out if you had 4.10s instead of 3.55s?

Since someone else already brought it up, I also find irritating that people are either too lazy or uneducated to use proper punctuation. Those type of posts are just hard to figure out sometimes. If you want to be considerate of your fellow Members, it takes just a couple of extra seconds to do it correctly.
Well,if they are uneducated then what should they do? Go back to high school and still not learn reading,writing and arithmetic?
Or learn history...about what happened to the N*a*z*i* Party of old.They became the Punctuation N*a*z*i*s.
It all is fairly amusing.lol
And no need to capitalize "members"

Last edited:

sooper cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gasser
@Johnny Blaze What would you offer for my '14 sport with 65,000 mi ,3.92 8 spd, never seen snow until this past winter, only seen rain if I was already out and about

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will add, regarding noise, My 14 sport may be? a bit louder than the last ones I had , a Laramie.
It also had dual pipes, same as the sport. and a LTS I think it was , single exhaust on that.
Normal cruising , I don't hear the exhaust, unless the windows are down.
At a light or passing than I do hear the exhaust. But ears are old. Everything is stock.
These trucks with dual pipes are not really dual exhaust , like the old days use to be with hi flow systems.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Wow you guys really lit up the thread!I did not check it until now.

I’m not looking for insanely loud exhaust the exhaust on the sports I started up just sounded a bit different than the bighorns!

They both have that growl the sports however have that different tone to it!
As far as Auctions go they are always a hit or miss.A buddy of mine used to buy and sell cars at auctions its a roll of the dice!he got some pretty good vehicles at auctions others not so good!

It sucks having to search from a distance When the right vehicle comes along I’ll know it.I have an inspector going out to look at the vehicle in Carolina tomorrow or Wendsday it’s not the perfect scenario but hopefully he picks up on any potential issues.It’s always a roll of the dice when buying used vehicles.We just hope we do enough to make the right decision!

Hopefully you find a clean truck from the top to bottom. There are alot of clean used trucks out there that'll meet your desired needs and wants.

IMO, when you find the truck you will be happy with, take it and have it undercoated if you plan on keeping it for awhile.

If I resided in a northern state where salt or other corrosive deicing is used on the roadways I would definitely have my vehicle undercoated.

Happy motoring and good luck on finding the right HEMI powered beast for you.

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Am I going to feel the same Peppiness of the 8 speed as I did with the 6 speed & 3.92 gears

I assume the Hemi growl won’t sound any different between the two trim levels

Gas mileage isn’t a concern if it was I have no business looking at one of these rigs anyway with their 5.7 engines
Some may have already said this but, whether 6 or 8 speed, 3.92 gears are always going to give you more torque and pep off the line than the 3.55’s and especially the 3.21’s.

Trade off is at highway/freeway cruising speed the 3.92’s are going to make your truck sit in a higher rpm than the 3.55’s and much higher than the 3.21’s. This will use more fuel and if you have any kind of muffler change like a delete/straight pipe, Flowmaster 50HD or more aggressive 44, 40 or super 10 you’ll get more noise and probably drone at highway speed and 3.92’s like I do.

At around 102 - 110km/hr with 3.92’s and my original Flowmaster super 44 muffler it was unbearable drone and noise, as my rpm sat around 1900 - 2100 at those speeds, which is drone territory.

It’s a little less bad now with the 35-12.5 tires since my diameter changed so speedo says 100km but I’ll be at like 105-107km/hr and rpm seems to sit around 1800 rpm, just out of drone range for my truck.

Either way, 3.92’s more off line pep and butt into seat power, but higher rpm at highway speed and worse mileage. More fun, more money and noise lol.

skates15

Reaction score
Some may have already said this but, whether 6 or 8 speed, 3.92 gears are always going to give you more torque and pep off the line than the 3.55’s and especially the 3.21’s.

Trade off is at highway/freeway cruising speed the 3.92’s are going to make your truck sit in a higher rpm than the 3.55’s and much higher than the 3.21’s. This will use more fuel and if you have any kind of muffler change like a delete/straight pipe, Flowmaster 50HD or more aggressive 44, 40 or super 10 you’ll get more noise and probably drone at highway speed and 3.92’s like I do.

At around 102 - 110km/hr with 3.92’s and my original Flowmaster super 44 muffler it was unbearable drone and noise, as my rpm sat around 1900 - 2100 at those speeds, which is drone territory.

It’s a little less bad now with the 35-12.5 tires since my diameter changed so speedo says 100km but I’ll be at like 105-107km/hr and rpm seems to sit around 1800 rpm, just out of drone range for my truck.

Either way, 3.92’s more off line pep and butt into seat power, but higher rpm at highway speed and worse mileage. More fun, more money and noise lol.
thank you for this explanation.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Am I going to feel the same Peppiness of the 8 speed as I did with the 6 speed & 3.92 gears

I assume the Hemi growl won’t sound any different between the two trim levels

Gas mileage isn’t a concern if it was I have no business looking at one of these rigs anyway with their 5.7 engines
Why do people keep saying that? I just got my 2017 ram 1500 5.7 and it does better mileage than my 2003 mercury grand marquis. Honestly, they’re more or less the same. I’m averaging about 16 mpg