Hemi,penstar,Cummings or eco diesel daily driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They had some problems with the original VM Motori 3.0L diesel engine in the 2014 - 2016 trucks.

FCA stopped production over some issues with meeting emissions and went after the problems. The new trucks have the updates which addressed the early engine issues.

Did they update the engine or just switch to a thicker oil.

TheSuburbanAngler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I traded a 2014 2wd RCSB 1500 Express with the 5.7 Hemi for a 2018 4x4 CCSB 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4. I have a 140 mile commute twice a week and tow a 20' travel trailer at least once a month. Between me (310lbs), my kayak on the ladder rack, camping and fishing gear in the bed and the tongue weight of the trailer I was maxing the payload of the Express. I loved that truck, it's looks and it's fuel economy, but when I found the deal on the 2500 it was an easy choice. I tend to go with the Boy Scout mantra of Always Be Prepared, and I feel like, with the new truck, I am. It's overkill for most situations, but I always have it when I need it. To each his own, but I can't imagine a full size, crew cab, 4x4 truck with a V6.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
The Cummins would be poor choice unless your towing heavy most of the time and the Eco would probably not be cost effective as initial cost and the price of diesel (relative to gasoline) is high so the Hemi or the Pentastar are the logical picks. I have the 3.6 with 3.55 gears and it easily pulls a 4000# trailer and is rated for over 6000# so unless you need more tow capacity the Pentastar in my opinion would be the best choice. Cold weather has dropped my mpg to 22 from 24 with mixed driving and that is significantly better than the 5.7. Some Hemi drivers will report equal mpg to the 3.6 but if you go to the Fuelly mpg site a more realistic mpg picture makes it apparent that the v6 does a lot better. As for power I am amazed at the power my truck has and you should drive everything before buying, I did.

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
Unless you're just itching for a new truck, keep what you have. You'll never recoup the cost of the new truck in gas savings with a V-6.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Jaywoo makes a good point and unless there is a problem with the old truck you would save more by just driving it.

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I like the 3.6 engine, it does not have enough torque, but moves along pretty good. I drive a 34 miles work trip every day. It is stop and go both ways. I average 17 mpg. That is by the computer on the dash.
Now i did a trip to Chico Ca from San Jose Ca. and back, I average 26 mpg, again on the dash figures. Total unloaded doing about 70 mph.
I just did a trip to Portland Or. I took a load to my son. I used my car trailer (1700 pounds), his 82 Toyota 4x4, a metal work bench strap on the tongue of the trailer, two motor scouters, (Yamaha Zuma) in the bed of Toyota. I think around 250 pounds ea, a big ass bench vice about 100 pounds, and just boxes of house hold stuff. In the bed of my truck was 500 pounds of paver bricks. all in all i'm going to say about 6000 pounds.
I had no problem in the flats, I left it in tow/haul never went above 6th gear, did around 2500 rpm. Was a struggle in the up hill areas. Went down to third gear a few times, rpm was up there, just had to slow down some. I think over all, wasn't to bad. The engine is good in the rpm range it needed to get up the hill at the speed I wanted. About the lowest speed was 45 mph. Didn't use a drop of oil, and never got hot. Trans temp was a little high, going up hill, but never real bad.
In the flats I would do 65 some times 70. Over all it did great for what it is. It just needs more torque. But i'm sure with more torque, less gas mileage.
In the in I got 11 mpg going up and a little over 18 coming back with the empty car trailer (1700 pounds)
This not something I plan to do often, and probably not as heavy. But it will tow, maybe not as easy or fast as a V8 or Diesel. Just not same as a big truck.
I did make a trip with a 26 ft enclosed trailer and did about the same. The wind was the big problem. With the big flat nose, was not the best against the wind.

redvettx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I looked Eco Diesel first too. I had 04' 2500 Diesel with a stick. Had 88K but needed some work and the death wobble was back. Eco diesel was ok but seemed to lack power empty. I couldn't find one with the stuff I wanted- RamBox- Laramie Sport. The Eco diesel has issues with spinning bearings. So do it some don't. I didn't want to roll the dice on a discontinued engine in the middle of a bunch of class action lawsuit. I figure resell will be crap. Next I looked at Gas rigs- Laramie Sport and Rebels. Again availability was weak but I could always order. The discounts on 19's is weak. I could by a Cummins Diesel for less so I did. I sold my offshore boat and I tow a 5K 3 place enclosed trailer or dirt bikes in the bed. I really don't need that much truck but for the price I got a lot of truck in a loaded 18'. Mileage so far is good on the Diesel as I run 75-80. 19MPG. Resale value is another reason. Truck was sticker of 72 but I paid in the high 50's which what a Hemi would have cost. No brainer if you ask me. I like driving a big diesel truck. I know you can run these 300K if you want. My 04 I paid 36K sticker was 44K. I added lift, tires, etc but I still got 21K for her at trade. The dealer spent some money on her and she is on the lot for $32,999 now. I bet they get 29 because its a low mile stick loaded up. Cummins holds there value even with age and miles. There is virtually no debate any more that the Cummins is best HD Truck Diesel engine period. You can debate ride, features, interior and transmission but Cummins is king when it comes to pick up Diesels. Ford just needs to pay CAT at this point.

SJGUSMC21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Sounds like you drive like I do ! My RAM is a Street Queen and maybe tow a small boat if I get one :O My Pentastar is perfect for me and I DO NOT regret getting it ! My Avg is 20/21 MPG. On mostly highway on a trip I may hit 23 + Works for me in a full size 4x4 :) More power if fun but can give you heavy foot issues lol . How far can you drive if you save 60k$ by not getting a new truck ?

I agree with this, IF I were to buy another RAM. But that's not going to happen. I am shocked at the gas mileage I get with the Pentastar, and it certainly has enough get up and go for me. But due to the problems I have had, I done with RAM. That is just my opinion.

jtstj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree that the Pentistar is surprisingly good on power. All of my previous Rams have been Hemis and I was dead set to get another with a Hemi but I couldnt find a used one at the time will all of the other features I wanted. I test drove the V6 Ram and fell in love with it. Furthermore no more typical Hemi issues which always frustrated me ( Exhaust manifold bolts and the Hemi "knock") I come from a long history of owning Jeeps and have also owned a few with the Pentistar. Ive always been impressed with the Pentistar, its a good engine IMO. Now with all of that said my Truck is no powerhouse without the Hemi but its not sluggish either. Ive got plenty of get up and go whenever I need it. I do miss the fun of stepping on the pedal with a Hemi, there's nothing like it. :)

Blew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I own a 2015 Ram 2500 with the Cummins 6.7 with full deletes, a sweet tuner, intake that breathes well and 5" straight out exhaust. I get over 30 mpg highway empty and 14.7 towing 13k trailer fifth. I run the next to hottest tune on the empty runs.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2015 Ram 2500 with the Cummins 6.7 with full deletes, a sweet tuner, intake that breathes well and 5" straight out exhaust. I get over 30 mpg highway empty and 14.7 towing 13k trailer fifth. I run the next to hottest tune on the empty runs.

I love hearing **** like this. It just really makes me laugh my ass off at the EPA. They’re more worried about the **** comin’ outta that tailpipe than making engines more efficient, reducing emissions at the same time, yet they wanna add all this unreliable ******** that makes the motors have to work twice as hard, consuming more fuel and causing more maintenance and downtime.

I almost busted out laughing just shortly after I bought my little half-ton almost a year ago, at the service writer. I was asking him about things that could void my warranty and he just so happened to use the delete kits for the big CTD’s in the HD’s as an example; he said that well, not only is that emissions stuff an EPA requirement, he said(and this is where I almost laughed in his face) that by doing the delete kits, unleashes like 150hp, which is outside the power ratings of which the drivetrain was designed around, possibly leading to premature wear on drivetrain parts. I just kinda looked at him like wow. I was like, why don’t y’all just make the parts stronger so that if people delete their trucks, they ain’t gonna be breakin’ ****?....Lol. I didn’t say that to him. I should’ve, just to hear the lame response to it but, I didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your just driving the truck empty a v6 is a good choice.
If your towing/hauling often, the Hemi is a good choice.
Since your driving mostly highway, the eco diesel is also a good choice, but the initial cost takes along time to break even with the pentastar.
I'm seriously considering the pentastar in my next truck.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

mlaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram and it is NOT a Dodge
Engine
3.6 v6 Pentastar Ram truck. Not a Dodge.
I'm confused.... What's a "Cummings" ?
yes what is that. Also not to be picky what is a Penstar? Its Cummins and Pentastar.

Radar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota 2017 Durango
Engine
4.7 and 3.6
My 70 miles round trip is all interstate if that helps.
The Pentastar will do just as well on the Interstate as the hemi since you will be speed limited, except the Pentastar will suck less fuel while doing it. You might get up to merge speed a second or two quicker but is it worth the extra fuel cost and initial outlay for the hemi option?
I have the Durango with the Pentastar and 8 speed combo, and I am pleasantly surprised by how well the combination works.
I happened to look at the odometer on my last fill up and noticed I went 609 miles on that tank, the most I have travelled on one tank on any of my vehicles. I normally get 26 MPG on the highway.
I tow a 3,000 lb camping trailer and the Pentastar does well, whether crossing the Rockies or the Appalachians.
The ecodiesel would give you better MPG and power, but if you don't need the power then you would never recoup the extra costs in fuel savings due to up front costs and maintenance costs. (just check the cost of the diesel oil change)
Since you already have a good vehicle, it would make most economic sense to hang onto that for a few more years and then change vehicles when needed.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
2017 4x4 crew cab, extended bed, WeatherTech bug guard and splash guards. With the Ecodiesel I get 23-24 MPG combined and have seen 27.9 mpg at 70 mph on flat no wind highways.
Rated for 9600 lbs towing.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking for opinions. I’m looking for a daily driver crew cab 4x4. Looking for the best fuel mileage ,power and longevity. I currently have a 2015 cc Hemi. Opinions greatly appreciated. I drive around 70 miles round trip. Don’t tow hardly anything.