Hey guys, quick and silly question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tradesman5376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to the forum, just signed up actually. I just bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7

I was goofing around with the gear select while driving (gear up, gear down) since I have not had a vehicle with that feature. While driving around 35mph I accidently hit (gear -) as my engine rpms instantly shot up to 4k. Yes, I know I'm dumb but I was watching the road and wasn't looking at the specific button I was pushing.

So my question is, is there some sort of failsafe to prevent someone from pushing (gear -) while driving at higher speeds to prevent engine RPMs shooting way up and causing damage? Like does the truck prevent a downshift selection that would be damaging?

Thank you - Trevor

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah it'll Go to 6000ish rpm and no higher. You have no worries with that they basically idiot proof it so they don't get any warranty claims down the road.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tradesman5376

Tradesman5376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it'll Go to 6000ish rpm and no higher. You have no worries with that they basically idiot proof it so they don't get any warranty claims down the road.

Thank you for the reply, that's good to know. I'd figure they would have to because it was quit easy to do. It was rather embarrassing that it even happened, but you live and you learn. There's 136k on the truck and I just bought it so I'm just being overly cautious/worried. I didn't want to damage the truck by doing something wildly dumb

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ah yes I totally get your caution. Did you buy it privately or from a dealer? If you bought it privately I'd reccomend going through it and having all The fluids replaced (diffs, t case transmission) if they Havnt been done and receipts as proof.

OP
OP
Tradesman5376

Tradesman5376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah yes I totally get your caution. Did you buy it privately or from a dealer? If you bought it privately I'd reccomend going through it and having all The fluids replaced (diffs, t case transmission) if they Havnt been done and receipts as proof.

I bought it from a dealer that my dads shop feeds into. It was serviced and fully inspected before put on the lot (full vehicle inspection and oil change). I am taking it to a different shop soon because I do want most fluids replaced ASAP since I'm not fully aware of exactly the last time they were done. They said the truck was well kept up and maintained but I'd rather have everything done on my own terms for peace of mind.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Iv done this before but i had my hand hovering over the selector buttons. Hit some big bumps in the road and the bumps made my hand shake and actually hit the down shift 2x. I went from 3rd to 1st before i could stop it. Back tires locked up and slide. Engine finally slowed the truck down

[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4,000 rpm is not that big of a deal and nowhere close to the redline of the engine. But to answer the question, it will not allow you to downshift if it would cause the engine to exceed the redline. To be honest I would be surprised if any Ram truck built in the last 10 years would let you manually downshift to the point it would lock up the rear tires. On my older trucks with no electronic control you should shove the shifter down into 1 and maybe chirp the rear tires, but I've tried downshifting to 1 on my '16 2500 at all speeds and it will just moderately downshift.

Reactions: U&A

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i wish they would rev match - my stupid 09 titan did and i loved it

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought it from a dealer that my dads shop feeds into. It was serviced and fully inspected before put on the lot (full vehicle inspection and oil change). I am taking it to a different shop soon because I do want most fluids replaced ASAP since I'm not fully aware of exactly the last time they were done. They said the truck was well kept up and maintained but I'd rather have everything done on my own terms for peace of mind.
Never trust a dealer.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
4,000 rpm is not that big of a deal and nowhere close to the redline of the engine. But to answer the question, it will not allow you to downshift if it would cause the engine to exceed the redline. To be honest I would be surprised if any Ram truck built in the last 10 years would let you manually downshift to the point it would lock up the rear tires. On my older trucks with no electronic control you should shove the shifter down into 1 and maybe chirp the rear tires, but I've tried downshifting to 1 on my '16 2500 at all speeds and it will just moderately downshift.

Yes

I promise you downshifting from 3rd to first when doing about 35-40 mph it will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So my question is, is there some sort of failsafe to prevent someone from pushing (gear -) while driving at higher speeds to prevent engine RPMs shooting way up and causing damage? Like does the truck prevent a downshift selection that would be damaging?
With the ZF 8 speed transmission, not only will it protect from downshifting to far but you can actually turn the shift knob into reverse or park while traveling down the freeway. You'll get a warning to shift back into drive.

OP
OP
Tradesman5376

Tradesman5376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the ZF 8 speed transmission, not only will it protect from downshifting to far but you can actually turn the shift knob into reverse or park while traveling down the freeway. You'll get a warning to shift back into drive.
Thank you for the response. That definitely eases my mind

OP
OP
Tradesman5376

Tradesman5376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never trust a dealer.
I normally don't. But I took everything they said with a grain of salt. My dad had it fully inspected and I trust what the mechanics reported back with. As mentioned, I am planning on having all major fluids changed on my own terms basically starting fresh. The truck does drive nicely though!

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I was out of town for work and when I got out of class I decided to test drive a F250 gas truck. It had the +/- on the stick but I had no clue what it was. My previous truck was a Mazda 5 speed.... I was going 50 or so down the highway and hit the - button a couple times to see what it did and I found out real damn quick. I couldn’t get back to the dealership fast enough...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In the 4 years driving my Ram, I have never used those buttons yet lol!

Me neither,but then again i have paddle shifters in my 8 speed truck,and use them all the time,lol
Guy in your town/ Edmonton used to make a plug-n-play paddle shifter set-up for the 8 speed trucks,he no longer makes the kit,but Brandon-W makes a kit now.

IMG_4034 (2).JPG

IMG_4039.JPG