Hid Issues....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Guess when this LED tech gets legit, we say F HIDs!!!!

Yeah one day..especially when/if they get smaller and can run without a fan..but for now i'll keep working at the HIDs.. local company just got some new style can-bus ballasts this year and claim they "should" work..so ill grab them next week and see.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the store credit for my canbus adapters and before ordering anything I messaged TRS to see what they would actually recommend and this is what they answered with...

"Yeah unfortunately the Rams have incredibly finicky wiring. On the 2013+ Rams in Canada with your DRL's we've seen most customers using the Mopar Specific harness w/ 1x resistors on DS, 1x resistors on PS for the 9012 trucks. For the resistor to be able to plug in on the side of the car that our harness plugs in you'll need a splitter so there is a place for it. If you need help setting this up in your cart just let us know and we'd be happy to help!"

I saw someone mention, I have LED fogs as well, but i wouldn't really use them, but noticed if the lights did go out, I can turn on my fogs and they worked with no issues... So I don't know if you could say using LED fogs contributes to it...

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alright slight update... tried 3 different can-bus kits. 2 plug and play, 1 relay, and 1 non can-bus with relay harness with resistors and capacitor. NONE work in the low beam on 2015s so far. Not even a $500 kit.

But my cheap $150 kit is so far working in my fog lights. So something must be different with the 2015's..hopefullt someone figures it out soon.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright slight update... tried 3 different can-bus kits. 2 plug and play, 1 relay, and 1 non can-bus with relay harness with resistors and capacitor. NONE work in the low beam on 2015s so far. Not even a $500 kit.

But my cheap $150 kit is so far working in my fog lights. So something must be different with the 2015's..hopefullt someone figures it out soon.

Have you tried just the ballast and no relay or capacitor or CAN bus canceller?

My 14 had an issue working with one canceller, but actually worked flawlessly with a ballast hooked directly to the low beam connection...

I've been looking for anyone to try that set up and see if they have any issues for not

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you tried just the ballast and no relay or capacitor or CAN bus canceller?

My 14 had an issue working with one canceller, but actually worked flawlessly with a ballast hooked directly to the low beam connection...

I've been looking for anyone to try that set up and see if they have any issues for not

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes I tried this before returning the regular ballasts and the lights immediately went out.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well i got mine working finally. It's not the "proper" way to do it but it does work.. I used all can-bus ballasts (not that that is relevant) and ran a simple relay harness. As for the trigger....behind the dash in the A/C 120 port there is a white/green wire that when your lights come on that wire comes live with 12V DC analog signal and works great as a trigger. Anyways now when my lights come on (unfortunately also when my driving or parking lights..whatever you want to call them, first turn of the dial come on) both my low beam and fog lights come on. So now i do have fog lights with my high beam but i can no longer turn my fogs off without turning my lights off. So..win/loss? Anyways i figured i would post that if you can't stand the terrible light output of dodge trucks and need HIDs in your 15, for the time being there is a way around it! Im sure there are kits out there that will already work in 15s but the 5 or so kits i tried that claimed to work on 15s...didnt work.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope thats not the case! I talked to TRS and asked them to send me what is the best option to work with the Canadian DRL etc etc. So they had to put together a kind of custom kit to have it work with the 9012 lights. It was in Florida on the 25th and on its way up... So hopefully should have them shortly and we can go from there and see what happens.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hope thats not the case! I talked to TRS and asked them to send me what is the best option to work with the Canadian DRL etc etc. So they had to put together a kind of custom kit to have it work with the 9012 lights. It was in Florida on the 25th and on its way up... So hopefully should have them shortly and we can go from there and see what happens.

Local company in Vancouver claims they did a 2015 the other day and found a way to make them work normally. But i kind of like how mine work now except I wouldn't mind the option to turn the fogs off and leave the lows on.

AlwaysSomethin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram
Engine
5.7L
Id be interested to see if we had any US guys with issues with HIDs in teh 15s, im set to take delivery of mine friday, and want to have HIDs ASAP

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Id be interested to see if we had any US guys with issues with HIDs in teh 15s, im set to take delivery of mine friday, and want to have HIDs ASAP

I cant see DRLs being an issue with HIDs. The DRL runs through the high beam or on sport/Laramie it's the led signal. So neither runs through the low beam and in theory neither should interfere. It seems like 15's need can-bus with a resistor harness. or so I've been told by the local company. So it seems possible but for some reason there is no plug and play for the 15's like there is for the 13/14 Even though it's the same damn bulb lol. Makes no sense to me why it's different in the 15's.

ipodnag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 ram 1500 with dual head light not the quad style. I already have a set of HIDs h13 Bi-Xenon (non canbus) from another older truck. The hid set i have already has the hardness and relays yo work as the switch.

Here is the results...
The lights works!! But only if you turn the switch to on position (all the way to right). How I use the lights now, turn all the way and start the truck.

Noticed
If turn the switch while truck is running or driving you can not turn them back on until truck is off. High beams do not work and auto switch does not either.
There is no warning lights on the dash.

Currently it has no resistors. Any suggestions to make the rest of the functions to work?

Would the adapter or canceller work?

Please help me, any help would be appreciated

DeepDigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
US 2015 1500 Laramie ED here and have the same issue with the lights going out after a while. On initial start I would get a right side low beam out, but the light would come on and cancel the EC. After driving a short distance, both low beams would go out, and had to pull off the road and shut down and restart before the lows would come back on. Did it twice more in a little over a 5 mile drive. I had to pull the HID;s and put the nasty yellow halogens back in as I have a 50 mile commute in the dark.
So no, it isn't just the Canadian trucks. Ram had to have tweaked something in the electronics on the 15's.

This is a 35w 5000k canbus set up from Jeremy.

Wonder if it just an ED thing?

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
US 2015 1500 Laramie ED here and have the same issue with the lights going out after a while. On initial start I would get a right side low beam out, but the light would come on and cancel the EC. After driving a short distance, both low beams would go out, and had to pull off the road and shut down and restart before the lows would come back on. Did it twice more in a little over a 5 mile drive. I had to pull the HID;s and put the nasty yellow halogens back in as I have a 50 mile commute in the dark.
So no, it isn't just the Canadian trucks. Ram had to have tweaked something in the electronics on the 15's.

This is a 35w 5000k canbus set up from Jeremy.

Wonder if it just an ED thing?

Was talking to the company here in canada that can make the kits work. from what I understand, basically ram changed the digital code that is sent through the wire. So although it's the same bulbs from factory, the can-bus ballasts need to be slightly modified in order to make the TIPM happy (they did this with a relay harness and messing with resistors until one worked). So it's just a matter of time before all of the 2013/14 kits are modified for the 15's with the new digital code. But for the time being it looks like the only way to get HIDs in a 15 is to use a relay harness and either mess with resistors until it works or wire it similarly to how I did...an analog signal behind the dash when the lights come on.

DeepDigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was talking to the company here in canada that can make the kits work. from what I understand, basically ram changed the digital code that is sent through the wire. So although it's the same bulbs from factory, the can-bus ballasts need to be slightly modified in order to make the TIPM happy (they did this with a relay harness and messing with resistors until one worked). So it's just a matter of time before all of the 2013/14 kits are modified for the 15's with the new digital code. But for the time being it looks like the only way to get HIDs in a 15 is to use a relay harness and either mess with resistors until it works or wire it similarly to how I did...an analog signal behind the dash when the lights come on.

Yeah, I think I'll hold onto the kit and wait it out. Not really of fan of rats nest wiring under the hood. What sucks even more is that you can't even buy a darn upgrade halogen, as all I can find are the LL bulbs, and only Phillips makes them. Of course, not counting the the Chinese blue bulbs on ebay......... no thanks.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If my relay harness I get from TRS doesn't work, then i'll hold on before I do some crazy wiring... I had the halogens because i've always used HIDs and right now it feels like i have no lights on lol..

And DeepDigger, TRS mentioned lots of the 2015s they've sold to have been with the relay harness... So if you're having issues with canbus, maybe try grabbing the relay harness with capacitors and resistors and see if that helps you out.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I think I'll hold onto the kit and wait it out. Not really of fan of rats nest wiring under the hood. What sucks even more is that you can't even buy a darn upgrade halogen, as all I can find are the LL bulbs, and only Phillips makes them. Of course, not counting the the Chinese blue bulbs on ebay......... no thanks.

Yeah it can get messy quite quickly. I was an audio installer for a while though so i usually manage to hide things pretty well. aside from the connections coming off the battery (which are barely noticeable) you would never know there was a relay controlling mine. I hate having to run stuff off a relay like this but for the time being itll have to work.

AlwaysSomethin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram
Engine
5.7L
Threw some HIDs in the fogs of my 15 tonight since theyre easy to get to. all worked well. went for a drive, and it seems they cycle off for about 10 seconds every so often, and reignite. I used the Morimoto Can Bus adapters. Guess ill have to wait out a solution :/

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I'll try to answer some of the questions ive seen here:

2009-2012 Rams:
These earlier trucks have a different computer system than the 2013+ models. They are notoriously picky, and the computers are quite sensitive to HID systems. Plugging some types of HID systems directly into the headlight plug can cause issues with the computer and even to the point where the dealer has to reset the ECU.

The computer is programmed to expect a particular system response ex:
" if there is a 55w halogen bulb plugged into this circuit> the expected current is X, the expected resistance is Y, the time dependency of these things is Z etc etc"

If you go and plug an HID system into this circuit, its starts freaking out because none of those variables XYZ match with the computer's expected parameters. Thus it thinks that there is something wrong with the headlight and will cut power, or try to reset the circuit. This is what causes flickering, periodic on-off events etc.

This applies to the fog lights as well.

2013+ Rams
These newer computer systems are programmed differently, thus they require a different setup in order to function properly. We (Enlight) have found that these need something plugged into the both headlight sockets or it will give you issues. A relay harness typically plugs into only one headlight connector, and the relay drives both headlights. We have a specific type of HID ballast with an integrated decoder module which works with the Ram's computer system to make sure its happy. But they are not compatible with the Pre-2013 Ram models.

If any is experience flickering, periodic on-off cycles or any other effects other than working the way they are supposed to, it will always do that. The cause is simply the improper system response from whatever HID setup you have.

As for fog lights, the 2013+ models are picky for fog lights. We have tried LED solutions which work well and do not flash or anything, but they cause radio interference for AM/FM when the fog lights are on. We have yet to try our latest HID system in the fog lights yet. The 09-12 models are less picky about what you put into the fog lights.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'll try to answer some of the questions ive seen here:

2009-2012 Rams:
These earlier trucks have a different computer system than the 2013+ models. They are notoriously picky, and the computers are quite sensitive to HID systems. Plugging some types of HID systems directly into the headlight plug can cause issues with the computer and even to the point where the dealer has to reset the ECU.

Our Experience is that there is NO canbus or plug and play HID system what will work on those trucks without a relay harness. No warning cancelers or anything like that. The computer is programmed to expect a particular system response ex:
" if there is a 55w halogen bulb plugged into this circuit> the expected current is X, the expected resistance is Y, the time dependency of these things is Z etc etc"

If you go and plug an HID system into this circuit, its starts freaking out because none of those variables XYZ match with the computer's expected parameters. Thus it thinks that there is something wrong with the headlight and will cut power, or try to reset the circuit. This is what causes flickering, periodic on-off events etc.

This applies to the fog lights as well.

2013+ Rams
These newer computer systems are programmed differently, thus they require a different setup in order to function properly. We (Enlight) have found that these need something plugged into the both headlight sockets or it will give you issues. A relay harness typically plugs into only one headlight connector, and the relay drives both headlights. We have a specific type of HID ballast with an integrated decoder module which works with the Ram's computer system to make sure its happy. But they are not compatible with the Pre-2013 Ram models.

If any is experience flickering, periodic on-off cycles or any other effects other than working the way they are supposed to, it will always do that. The cause is simply the improper system response from whatever HID setup you have.

As for fog lights, the 2013+ models are picky for fog lights. We have tried LED solutions which work well and do not flash or anything, but they cause radio interference for AM/FM when the fog lights are on. We have yet to try our latest HID system in the fog lights yet. The 09-12 models are less picky about what you put into the fog lights.

Hope this helps!

There are a LOT of us that would strongly disagree with several statements in this post...

Jeremy has sold a TON of Morimito HID systems to 09-12 and 13+ Ram owners
For heads and fogs utilizing the stand alone canbus adapters instead of a relay harness with no issues at all....$30 and nothing else. :favorites13:
(other than a ballast and HID bulb)

Can-Bus: Morimoto Standalone - Wire Harnesses - Components

morimoto_standalone_canbus_harnesses_1_3.jpg

morimoto_xb35_amp_ballast_1_3.jpg

I've got them driving the HID's in my 10' with retro'd 13+FX-R projectors and 10' Sport Fogs
and I know many with 13' and 14' Rams running the same setup....absolutely no relay harness at all...

RSLLC_zps75873100.jpg

...some even tuck them right inside the lamp housing on the 13+ Projector for a clean install

canbus_zps065e819e.jpg

RSLLC2_zpscd7ce84c.jpg

RSLLC1_zpsb2c33dfb.jpg

Trouble/flicker free for over 6 months so far... (35w/5000k) even when temps drop as cold as -35º
IMG-20141121-01706_zpsbd18ee54.jpg

Last edited:

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I should have been more specific, My intention was for the H13 dual-beam version of the 09-12 Ram. The single beam H11 is different. So absolutely you are correct. And indeed my statement should be corrected! We have tested several Morimoto parts in the past and they are excellent. This particular Canbus unit we have not tested but I'll get some ordered up asap!

Last edited: