Hid Issues....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a heads up for those keeping tabs on this. I got my HD Relay kit from TRS about a week or so ago, and finally got some time for installing it. SO many wires to screw around with, and ground etc... But got it all done. So now i'll have to wait till it gets a bit dark out and try some driving around and see if the Relay kit that they told me to get works over the canbus.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Which exact harness did you end up getting?

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a HD (Dual relay) mopar spec low beam harness, with capacitor, and a HD load resistor to each headlight. its exactly what TRS recommended

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well HIDs worked awesome, until about 20 mins of driving and they shut off again. UGH!!!! Why can't they just work... Tried shutting off the approach lighting, letting it sit for a few mins and restart and drive again, after 10-15 mins or so, turned off again... With all this extra wiring it was such a PITA to install... Any ideas? I can't even call TRS until monday...:suicide:

DeepDigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well HIDs worked awesome, until about 20 mins of driving and they shut off again. UGH!!!! Why can't they just work... Tried shutting off the approach lighting, letting it sit for a few mins and restart and drive again, after 10-15 mins or so, turned off again... With all this extra wiring it was such a PITA to install... Any ideas? I can't even call TRS until monday...:suicide:

Form what ecosport has posted: Was talking to the company here in canada that can make the kits work. from what I understand, basically ram changed the digital code that is sent through the wire. So although it's the same bulbs from factory, the can-bus ballasts need to be slightly modified in order to make the TIPM happy (they did this with a relay harness and messing with resistors until one worked).
So it looks like companies are going to have to make a new relay harness or canbus just for the 15's. Makes me wonder if Ram is intentionally changing the digital code in an effort to thwart owners from using aftermarket HID kits.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Form what ecosport has posted: Was talking to the company here in canada that can make the kits work. from what I understand, basically ram changed the digital code that is sent through the wire. So although it's the same bulbs from factory, the can-bus ballasts need to be slightly modified in order to make the TIPM happy (they did this with a relay harness and messing with resistors until one worked).
So it looks like companies are going to have to make a new relay harness or canbus just for the 15's. Makes me wonder if Ram is intentionally changing the digital code in an effort to thwart owners from using aftermarket HID kits.

I don't wanna hear that :( lol... I wanna hear good news!!! Something that'll work!

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have been made aware of some differences between the US model and Canadian model Rams. It could just be that you have a Canadian model and all the parts from companies like TRS or other have been tested on the US version.

I remember reading somewhere that the Canadian models have DRL's (daytime running lights) enabled. Can you verify this? Also, do you have OEM projectors (9012 bulb) or the reflector housings (H11 Bulb type).

I was looking at the TRS website and it appears their "Mopar Spec Lowbeam Harness" for the 2013+ Ram only has 1 capacitor and 1 resistor. Did yours come with 2 capacitor links and 2 resistors?

I really think the Ram's need something plugged into both factory headlight sockets for it to have even a remote chance of working. I wish I had a 2015 locally to test some solutions on.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been made aware of some differences between the US model and Canadian model Rams. It could just be that you have a Canadian model and all the parts from companies like TRS or other have been tested on the US version.

I remember reading somewhere that the Canadian models have DRL's (daytime running lights) enabled. Can you verify this? Also, do you have OEM projectors (9012 bulb) or the reflector housings (H11 Bulb type).

I was looking at the TRS website and it appears their "Mopar Spec Lowbeam Harness" for the 2013+ Ram only has 1 capacitor and 1 resistor. Did yours come with 2 capacitor links and 2 resistors?

I really think the Ram's need something plugged into both factory headlight sockets for it to have even a remote chance of working. I wish I had a 2015 locally to test some solutions on.

Yes all the Canadian versions come with DRLs. I have the OEM projectors so the 9012 bulb, but the DRL is actually the bulb at the bottom (the turn signal). The kit was put together with "individual" pieces. So the Mopar low spec HD harness, with 1 capacitor, and 1 hd load resistor to each headlight (so the only one to have 2 is the HD load resistors). TRS said this is what would help with the Canadian DRLs. The other thing I tried, which I don't know if I need to maybe unplug the battery or something; is having turned off the approach lighting; which i've seen people mentioned they did to be safe.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

On mine i had to do some funky flipping with some connections from the harness, both my resistors are in line with the factory negative then to chassis ground, makes no sense but working problem free, did you watch the video of installing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On mine i had to do some funky flipping with some connections from the harness, both my resistors are in line with the factory negative then to chassis ground, makes no sense but working problem free, did you watch the video of installing them?

Oh ya, you mentioned having to change some wiring around... I think mines what you described. Wire from the negative to the resistor, than resistor to a ground. What wiring did you have to end up changing exactly? And what video of them installing it?

EDIT

You know what i'm wondering now, they told me I needed an adapter wire 9005 male > 9005/9006 female (2 way split wire). I wonder if theres something with how this is run to wrong components or something... I haven't seen a diagram how i'm supposed to hook it up properly...

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Here's my video showing how the harness works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5S8WmY6pQ

[yt]ng5S8WmY6pQ[/yt]

please note, the video is older.....has the older style relays, but....the rest is the same.

There was a weird time where some capacitors where pinned wrong, causing issues......then there where adapters that the polarity was wrong......

In the end, the resistors need to be hot on both sides.

As for the other company playing with resistors to get it to work.....thats my assumption too - just needs to see the right resistance, and if its not.......well.....stupid trucks.

I am actively looking for someone in the ATL area with a '15 to head to TRS for some testing. I have a local guy with one as well.....but its damn cold here and I have no "shop" to be playing in.....ya know? But, I'll freeze my nuts off to figure it out if needed!

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I tried what jj said, no mater what way the capacitor is hooked up they shut off right away. But either way, just got off the phone with TRS and they have no solution for having lights work on a 2015. They just discovered this about a week ago he said. Woo hoo :suicide:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I have an idea.........give me a few here though ;)

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So 2015's require some different wiring ?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So 2015's require some different wiring ?

It's not that the 15's have different wiring but it seems to be dodge changed something in computer. I haven't been able to keep my hid's working for more than a day or two. Or one or two uses. I have the canbus adapters.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well no one is too sure what's up yet. Some 2015 seems to be doing okay with them, but TRS recognizes there is an issue with some. JJ had called trs and we're doing some R&D. From the testing things seem to be going in the right direction or at least that there's something up. I'm gonna do some more testing a little later on in the day (time for the Toronto auto show)

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ah you got a 15, missed that part, if i put my resistors on hot to ground as they should be i get issues lol, damn trucks and modern technology lol

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just sent JJ a message, the R&D testing I did today turned out well, hopefully this shows some hope that we can get this fixed and working very soon for the 2015s!!!!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I just sent JJ a message, the R&D testing I did today turned out well, hopefully this shows some hope that we can get this fixed and working very soon for the 2015s!!!!

That's some funky ****. Wonder what makes the 2015s different.