Hid Issues....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rams are picky too.........to the point of being mildly annoying at times. LOL

I had a Kia Optima before, which is VERY picky on power outputs and stuff.. I had multiple issues with HIDs on that car... At first my relay would click like crazy, and then after a week or so it went away (apparently this was normal)... and then I had a bunch of flashing issues, my DRLs stopped working, and then the HIDs worked with 0 issues after that lol... I'm just hoping this is some small glitch or something that will fix itself?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
hope so....but hard to say

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I want to readjust the height of the lights (1 side is higher than the other). I'll have to recheck all the connections, but i'm pretty sure everything was CLICKED together... and not loose, maybe i'll play with wires and see if something is loose or a bad connection from TRS or something

Clicked together still doesnt mean good connection, ive seen quite a few times a pin in a connector get pushed back so while it clicked and looks good that one pin really isnt in good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From what I can tell, they both do it at the same time. The first time, they stayed off (even when trying to turn it off and back on). It took turning the car off for a minute or two and then turning it back on for them to work again. This drive, they went off and back on themselves within a few seconds. Then a couple minutes went by, and they'd flick in the same manner again.

Hate to sound stupid but since you mentioned your in auto is it possible they just cycled off on? My lights stay in auto and no issue in over a year, but in some light they cycle easily but this is noticeable with the light

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats why I was thinking i'd actually check connections, wiggle stuff around and see what actually happens (like you mentioned maybe something came loose).

And the first time, I had them on auto and was surprised the lights were even on! It was somewhat light out, but the light was on in the dash to signify they were on... And the 2nd time was at night, so not during a possible light cycle.

Any short drives (1-10 mins) i've never seen an issue, its just been on a bit longer drives (maybe 20 mins)... I may have to do some driving to fully test the theory of when it happens, as I have barely driven at night since they've been installed.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it seems no one else is having this issue, but I figured its better to share incase there are some in the future. So I have a better understanding of what they're actually doing now (not whats causing the problems yet tho). So I drive for a while, and they'll flick off for lets say 5 seconds. Maybe 5 mins later, they will flick off for 5 seconds or so again and back on... And then another 5 mins or so later they'll turn off and not come back on at all... The vehicle has to be shut off for them to come back on.

I'm going to call TRS tomorrow and see what they say/recommend. This is definitely not something i can have continue to happen, this is just calling for a ticket if I pass a cop and this happens or they're completely out.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thats very strange, i know on my truck i had to do some strange changes to the relay harness which has me not sold 100% on the canbus adapters but i would like to try them to see

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats very strange, i know on my truck i had to do some strange changes to the relay harness which has me not sold 100% on the canbus adapters but i would like to try them to see

What changes did you have to make to the relay harness?

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just called and talked to TRS, due to being a Canadian Vehicle and having the DRL, they're pretty sure thats whats causing the issues using the canbus adapters and are recommending using the relay harness with resistors on both driver and passenger side lights.

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just called and talked to TRS, due to being a Canadian Vehicle and having the DRL, they're pretty sure thats whats causing the issues using the canbus adapters and are recommending using the relay harness with resistors on both driver and passenger side lights.

Weird. Mine function just fine with the canbus adapters. I have a full harness with resistors brand new that came with my kit just sitting in my garage. Your welcome to it if your interested for just the shipping cost. PM if you're interested.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird. Mine function just fine with the canbus adapters. I have a full harness with resistors brand new that came with my kit just sitting in my garage. Your welcome to it if your interested for just the shipping cost. PM if you're interested.

Really? Hmmm the one TRS guy on the internet chat told me to switch canbus adapters (swap sides) as he's heard of that fixing issues before, so i'm going to try that first and see if it does help at all.

Is yours the full harness from TRS? They said if I send back the canbus adapters they'd send me the harness and i'd just have to pay the difference.. Which shouldn't be too bad since the whole harness itself is like $60.

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worth a shot to switch sides if it works for sure. Yup full harness. I got it with my kit from JJ at Retroshop. Never got around to installing it and then the canbus adapters came out so I ordered up a set of those cause the install looked simpler.

Nice of TRS to offer the swap.

Edit: wonder if there is a difference between the 14 and the 15???

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have a 14? It looks like you have the projector housing as well? Your DRL is the turn signal right? It kinda confuses me how that would affect the HIDs but I guess its just a wiring/computer thing? I donno.
I actually went out today, and got a "light out" when I started the truck today.. Turned from auto to off and back to auto and was ok again... Hmm...

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have a 14? It looks like you have the projector housing as well? Your DRL is the turn signal right? It kinda confuses me how that would affect the HIDs but I guess its just a wiring/computer thing? I donno.
I actually went out today, and got a "light out" when I started the truck today.. Turned from auto to off and back to auto and was ok again... Hmm...

Yup 14' black express with the factory projectors/LED turn and running lights. No issues at all so far except the passenger side doesn't always fire up the first time. Hit the lock button on the remote and then unlock and it usually starts up.

Ram's are notoriously finicky with the electrical/lighting systems..... So who knows. Good luck with the trouble shooting.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What changes did you have to make to the relay harness?

I have the capacitor on the + where its supposed to be but actually had to put the resistors on the -, really strange but been working flawlessly for over a year now

AnthonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I have a 2013 Ram that I placed HID's in, they work great but when starting the truck they both strobe for a second. Really annoying. Anyone else have the same issue? Know of a fix?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2013 Ram that I placed HID's in, they work great but when starting the truck they both strobe for a second. Really annoying. Anyone else have the same issue? Know of a fix?

Could just be the way the bulbs fire up, im assuming you have some sort of relay harness with a capacitor or they would keep flickering

AnthonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Could just be the way the bulbs fire up, im assuming you have some sort of relay harness with a capacitor or they would keep flickering

I just have the setup from Retro Shop, not the harness but the Canbus adapters with 35w HID bulbs and ballast. Are other guys experiencing the same thing? Put a set on someone elses rig, 2014 Ram with a newer style ballast from the same place and no issues....

Also, its only when starting the truck. Here is a link to a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQC3tbv6ks

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a express with the projectors. I just got a canbus ballast his kit. No adapters and no flickering yet. Had these ballasts for a couple years I got them for my 13 CC and when I got my 14 I just got new bulbs for the projectors and kept the ballasts. Kit cost me $160 but works great and no issues at all.

AnthonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I have a express with the projectors. I just got a canbus ballast his kit. No adapters and no flickering yet. Had these ballasts for a couple years I got them for my 13 CC and when I got my 14 I just got new bulbs for the projectors and kept the ballasts. Kit cost me $160 but works great and no issues at all.

Man, I wish I didn't have issues. It is embarrassing to drive a nice truck with stupid issues like this. I just want to get it fixed! Like i mentioned before I installed the new version of the samething from Retro Shop and no peoblems at all. I dont get it.