Hid Issues....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yount79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just have the setup from Retro Shop, not the harness but the Canbus adapters with 35w HID bulbs and ballast. Are other guys experiencing the same thing? Put a set on someone elses rig, 2014 Ram with a newer style ballast from the same place and no issues....

Also, its only when starting the truck. Here is a link to a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQC3tbv6ks
Shut off your "illuminated approach " in your setting. It might help

AnthonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Shut off your "illuminated approach " in your setting. It might help

that is a great Idea, I may do that in the meantime but I would like to fix the problem than avoid it. How are others fixing it? I cant be the only one, I'm sure that thousands have got the same set up I have from Retro Shop.

Does anyone know if there is a capacitor I can hookup to my set up even though I am not running the full harness just the Ballast and Canbus Adapters? Would it even help?

Did they change anything from the 2013 to the 2014 that would make it so that the 2014 works flawlessly? Any help and knowledge from you guys is appreciated!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Sport with the Canbus adapters and 50w ballasts from the Retro Shop. I never had the problems you have. I turned off the auto head lights and illuminated approach. It's a fact that a hot restrike significantly reduces the HID bulb life. It just goes with the territory.

yount79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2014 Sport with the Canbus adapters and 50w ballasts from the Retro Shop. I never had the problems you have. I turned off the auto head lights and illuminated approach. It's a fact that a hot restrike significantly reduces the HID bulb life. It just goes with the territory.
+1. My hid + canbus adapter that I installed last week are working flawlessly too. Kept the auto headlights on though

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Turn off your headlight on approach or whatever its called, seems like thats your issue by the looks of it, unfortunately there is no real fix, shut off the illuminated approach and call it a day, can keep the lights in auto tho mine havent moved from auto since they been in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

redblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like alot of canadian trucks are having problems mine included. I have HID's in mine purchased from jeremy at retroshop, after my first install attempt i would get lamp out alarms and strobing with the supplied harness. It did have a capacitor and two resistors. I was told to flip the capacitor plug and it did work for a day or two then it finally stopped working. Frustrated i pulled the whole thing out.

Then i heard about the canbus adaptors, i installed a set and they have been working 80% of the time until i turned off the illumination approch and i dont use the auto setting on the headlight switch. So far so good but im not keeping my hopes up.

AnthonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
It looks like alot of canadian trucks are having problems mine included. I have HID's in mine purchased from jeremy at retroshop, after my first install attempt i would get lamp out alarms and strobing with the supplied harness. It did have a capacitor and two resistors. I was told to flip the capacitor plug and it did work for a day or two then it finally stopped working. Frustrated i pulled the whole thing out.

Then i heard about the canbus adaptors, i installed a set and they have been working 80% of the time until i turned off the illumination approch and i dont use the auto setting on the headlight switch. So far so good but im not keeping my hopes up.

What a pain, its too bad we cant use the lights as designed with these HID's. The frustrating thing is that I just put a set in a truck with the new set up from retro shop and they work like a dream, you would never be able to tell they are aftermarket. Sucks. I really don't want to drop another 150 bucks on the set though.

yount79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you know what brand you are using?
Retro shop. My 2013 Canadian longhorn has no problem whatsoever with retro shops canbus adapter hids. No flickers nothing. I left the illuminated approach on just to see if they work with it on and they work just fine. Guess I'm the lucky one lol

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried doing what TRS said and switching canbus adapter from side to side... I ran the truck for 15-20 mins.. No problems.. Sweet... So I put it all back together, and was waiting for my bro to finish working on his car, so ran it again for another 15 mins or so... No issues! ok sweet on my way... Drive to go get some food, flicks off... Pulled it all out and gonna send the canbus' back and get the relays... OI!

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Sounds like same thing that was happening to me before i finally got it working, problem free since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I just have the setup from Retro Shop, not the harness but the Canbus adapters with 35w HID bulbs and ballast. Are other guys experiencing the same thing? Put a set on someone elses rig, 2014 Ram with a newer style ballast from the same place and no issues....

Also, its only when starting the truck. Here is a link to a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQC3tbv6ks

When starting the truck the HIDs aren't getting full power. Its like any other lights or the radio, etc.......they stop, flicker, etc when the vehicle is being started.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
When starting the truck the HIDs aren't getting full power. Its like any other lights or the radio, etc.......they stop, flicker, etc when the vehicle is being started.

Hold the phone here.

You forgot to mention that the engine being started is a 6.7 Cummins! Of course they will flicker! Good lord the thing already takes two batteries to start!

:roflsquared:

AnthonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Hold the phone here.

You forgot to mention that the engine being started is a 6.7 Cummins! Of course they will flicker! Good lord the thing already takes two batteries to start!

:roflsquared:

Except I just installed a set from the same place in a friends new 6.7 Ram and they don't have this issue.

I will post a video of his tomorrow.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Do they have a full relay harness?

When the power is isolated direct from the battery, you won't see this. In a canbus adapter, power is being sent through the headlight circuit.....and the drop in voltage when starting, well....we see it.

AnthonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Do they have a full relay harness?

When the power is isolated direct from the battery, you won't see this. In a canbus adapter, power is being sent through the headlight circuit.....and the drop in voltage when starting, well....we see it.

No, no relay harness, its the canbus adapters. The explanation would make sense if everyone's truck responded the same when starting. But since others are saying they don't have the issue and I have installed these on another truck that doesn't experience it, there must be a way to fix mine.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I don't know man......with how many of these trucks I've played with, I've seen it all.....

To be honest, there seem to be quite a few trucks that have a mind of their own. ;)

Maybe I'm old school........I am just not fond of any of the automatic stuff.....I don't need my headlights on when I start the truck, or when I unlock it. I tell them when to come on, not a computer....etc. But.....all neat "features" from the factory.....each controlled by a computer. I just shrug my shoulders, and turn them off!

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know man......with how many of these trucks I've played with, I've seen it all.....

To be honest, there seem to be quite a few trucks that have a mind of their own. ;)

Maybe I'm old school........I am just not fond of any of the automatic stuff.....I don't need my headlights on when I start the truck, or when I unlock it. I tell them when to come on, not a computer....etc. But.....all neat "features" from the factory.....each controlled by a computer. I just shrug my shoulders, and turn them off!

So leaving all that stuff on could be part of what affected the canbus adapters working properly? Having the full relay harness should fix this to work with all the "cool" features?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Its a broad guess.........at the end of the day, I've gotta wonder....why do the headlights need to be on when starting the truck? ;)