High Engine Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Francis03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9 L
I need some help diagnosing this problem I cam currently having with my 2001 5.9 Magnum. I just rebuilt the engine and put it in and it runs good, but I seem to have high oil pressure. I installed the motor in a heated shop where it is 60-70 degrees all the time. Oil pressure on startup until warm in the shop is almost to the top of the brackets. Once its warm, oil pressure is in the middle of the brackets. The problem is that I live in Utah and its cold as hell at the moment. When the truck sits outside overnight and I start it the next morning, the oil pressure is so high that it blows the oil filter o-ring out because the oil is cold and thick. Within 5 seconds I have lost at least a quart of oil. Oil is 10-30, the oil pump is new, but is a standard volume/pressure pump, the brand is EngineTech. Also just installed new oil pressure sensor because the old one started to come apart due to the oil pressure I'm assuming. This is also the third oil filter I have tried, which were all Mopar. One of the only conclusions that I can come to is that the pressure relief valve is stuck closed on the new pump not allowing the high pressure to dissipate. I also assume that the oil pressure will be high until the engine is broke in, but this seems excessive, and I would think that the relief valve would not let it get that high. I'm still in highschool and can't afford for a shop to look at it, just hoping that I don't change the oil pump again only for the problem to remain.

RockandPinyonPine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could try something simple for the time being like 0w-30 and a wix 51515 with a bypass. Was the motor sitting for years before it was rebuilt? Could be a blocked passage in need of seafoam. Aslo make sure it's the right dipstick and not overfilled.