Hmmm... should be fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
with a pushrod motor you don’t have complete control over the valve train (the hemi has a little). On a DOHC motor you have a lot of control over the valve train with the cam gears that’s how they can do a lope tune. Also on a DOHC and a OHC you are limited on how much overlap over lap you can have due the physical room of the head also your cam gears will take a lot of the chop out- you can actually lock the cam gears for chop but will lose a lot of horsepower. example 5.0 mustang with a stage 1 cam set you will loose 100 horsepower by locking the cam gears!

Ahh ok. so reading this, it is to do with the cam phasers, like how Mitsubishi has MIVEC, and Honda has Vtec. they can change the cam profile for low rev, low end torque, or high end, high HP.

Whereas the Hemi would just have a cam gear and chain, but no phaser on the cam.

So the Hemi must have some sort of phaser on the cam gear, because we have MDS right? I am going to look more into how the MDS works exactly. Would be cool if you could manipulate the cam phaser for more lift or duration on these trucks. But im sure FCA made them to NOT work like that lol.

Anyway, thanks for the knowledge!

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Ahh ok. so reading this, it is to do with the cam phasers, like how Mitsubishi has MIVEC, and Honda has Vtec. they can change the cam profile for low rev, low end torque, or high end, high HP.

Whereas the Hemi would just have a cam gear and chain, but no phaser on the cam.

So the Hemi must have some sort of phaser on the cam gear, because we have MDS right? I am going to look more into how the MDS works exactly. Would be cool if you could manipulate the cam phaser for more lift or duration on these trucks. But im sure FCA made them to NOT work like that lol.

Anyway, thanks for the knowledge!
The hemi does have VVT which is variable valve timing and I believe it has a phaser I think a lot of the guys that get a more race cam lock it out. So there is a little bit of valve timing but not near to the extent that Mitsubishi Honda and other DOHC manufacturers like that have. The best way to explain the MDS is basically you have a solenoid valve that shoots oil to the lifter causing the lifter to Collapse and stop lifting (I’m pretty sure that’s the way it works lol) . There’s a lot of other stuff with the MDS that I don’t understand LOL but that’s the basics of it. One other thing to mention is the Ram hemi uses dual spark plugs and the factory tuning fires them at different times to add horsepower I thought that was pretty cool.

Sure man we all have to learn!!!

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hemi does have VVT which is variable valve timing and I believe it has a phaser I think a lot of the guys that get a more race cam lock it out. So there is a little bit of valve timing but not near to the extent that Mitsubishi Honda and other DOHC manufacturers like that have. The best way to explain the MDS is basically you have a solenoid valve that shoots oil to the lifter causing the lifter to Collapse and stop lifting (I’m pretty sure that’s the way it works lol) . There’s a lot of other stuff with the MDS that I don’t understand LOL but that’s the basics of it. One other thing to mention is the Ram hemi uses dual spark plugs and the factory tuning fires them at different times to add horsepower I thought that was pretty cool.

Sure man we all have to learn!!!

It’s pretty cool until you have to replace them all HAHAHA. But I love my hemi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
It’s pretty cool until you have to replace them all HAHAHA. But I love my hemi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep lol I’m not gonna do mine, I’m farmin that out

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great job bro it sounds good man...im looking for someone in the stl area to do mines...im jealous but a fan lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Appreciate it man [emoji106] definitely a lot of work but do able and it’s worth all the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finished it up today [emoji106]

Sounds great!! Nice job!!!

Any issues come up during the install?

Some people say you need to get the heads checked by a machine shop when they're removed, I'm assuming you didn't?

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds great!! Nice job!!!

Any issues come up during the install?

Some people say you need to get the heads checked by a machine shop when they're removed, I'm assuming you didn't?

Thanks man really sounds good in person.. maybe I can get a better video this weekend. Yeah that freaking cam phaser lol other than that reinstalling the headers was a PAIN in the butt..

No didn’t take the heads in as they looked great.. just cleaned them up really good with a wire brush and wire wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca