Hood Latch Assy for the Remote Start Kit wiring question ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok guys i have a question.

The remote start kit for 2017-2018 Ram part# 82215553. it comes with the hood latch, wiring harness, 2 fobtik, some zip-ties and instructions. The instructions have you run the harness through the dash and all and to a pin 11 on a connector to the BCM. So basically I'm guessing while the hood is closed is providing a GRN signal to pin 11 and an open circuit when the hood is ajar or up.

My proposal. instead of all that wiring chasing why not just hard-wire pin 11 to a ground. Will that not work? I mean if you gotta worry about the truck starting up while your underneath the hood you have bigger problems don't ya?

With my 2017 5500 already having remote entry and thus the antenna to the RF Hub. All i gotta do ist hard ground that pin 11. Get new overlays for the fobtiks and fire up Alfa and program the necessary changes?

Yes?

Thanks!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard wiring pin 11 should work .

Just be sure you don't have your fob in your pocket while leaning in working on your truck [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think I read in one of the posts that this will work, but you have to add a resistor so the BCM doesn’t think it is shorted out. I don’t remember what the resistance is supposed to be, but I’m sure someone around here knows.

OP
OP
Cillys

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I read in one of the posts that this will work, but you have to add a resistor so the BCM doesn’t think it is shorted out. I don’t remember what the resistance is supposed to be, but I’m sure someone around here knows.

Makes sense. Would probably be resistance of the harness assy itself maybe not more than 180-610 Ohms i would imagine. if you run across it could ya let me know.
thanks

i meant to post this under DIY. lol :oops:

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When you are using Alpha to add the remote start you set the "Hood Ajar Switch Usage" option to “500 ohm series and 500 ohm parallel resistors". Not sure what the wattage would be though.

Edit: The other option on that setting is "1K Parallel resistor".

-K

OP
OP
Cillys

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you are using Alpha to add the remote start you set the "Hood Ajar Switch Usage" option to “500 ohm series and 500 ohm parallel resistors". Not sure what the wattage would be though.

Edit: The other option on that setting is "1K Parallel resistor".

-K

Interesting. Has anyone taking a closer look at the hood latch and that harness to see if there's resistors or better yet measure it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interesting. Has anyone taking a closer look at the hood latch and that harness to see if there's resistors or better yet measure it?

I don’t think there are resistors in the wires, when you buy the kit there are no resistors. The directions have you run a ground and the leg to pin 11 in the BCM right from the hood switch. I just assumed if you weren’t actually putting the hood switch in the resistor was to compensate for that, otherwise the BCM May think there is a short in the system.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

The resistance with the hood closed is 1k ohm. You can set it up without the hood latch one of two ways. Like kad said, ground pin 11 and set the hood ajar switch usage to 500/500, or ground pin 11 with a 1k ohm resistor and set the hood ajar switch usage to 1k parallel resistor.

OP
OP
Cillys

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The resistance with the hood closed is 1k ohm. You can set it up without the hood latch one of two ways. Like kad said, ground pin 11 and set the hood ajar switch usage to 500/500, or ground pin 11 with a 1k ohm resistor and set the hood ajar switch usage to 1k parallel resistor.

Much simpler than running a harness. For sure. So technically having remote entry already. I have everything I need. The antenna should already be in the rf hub. I mean I can rob that tiny disc from second fobtik and insert it underneath the pad that's for the remote start. Just won't have the little drawing.

Only if when I go to keyless go would I need changing out the rf hub and antennas and win module and the different key fobs.

?????

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Much simpler than running a harness. For sure. So technically having remote entry already. I have everything I need. The antenna should already be in the rf hub. I mean I can rob that tiny disc from second fobtik and insert it underneath the pad that's for the remote start. Just won't have the little drawing.

Only if when I go to keyless go would I need changing out the rf hub and antennas and win module and the different key fobs.

?????

Correct. I actually did what you are thinking. I only got a new rubber overlay for one remote. Many times, while inserting the fob into the ignition, I would put too much pressure on the panic button and set it off. So, I took my spare fob, pulled the plastic disc off from under the panic button, and glued it in place under the remote start location, and now I just use that fob.

Yes, keyless go has a different rf hub, proximity antennas, win module, etc.

OP
OP
Cillys

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct. I actually did what you are thinking. I only got a new rubber overlay for one remote. Many times, while inserting the fob into the ignition, I would put too much pressure on the panic button and set it off. So, I took my spare fob, pulled the plastic disc off from under the panic button, and glued it in place under the remote start location, and now I just use that fob.

Yes, keyless go has a different rf hub, proximity antennas, win module, etc.

Now if only there were radio shacks. I could get a 1k ohm resister and shove it into pin 11 ... apparently you can't get the real pins either ... Alfa the thing replace the disc ... boom remote start in 10 mins ... however, I do plan on eventually going push start.

Anyone have the part #'s for just what I need. Ain't buying auto tech 1500$ kit

Win module
Push button
Rf hub
Antennas
Key fob

Anything else?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now if only there were radio shacks. I could get a 1k ohm resister and shove it into pin 11 ... apparently you can't get the real pins either ... Alfa the thing replace the disc ... boom remote start in 10 mins ... however, I do plan on eventually going push start.

Anyone have the part #'s for just what I need. Ain't buying auto tech 1500$ kit

Win module
Push button
Rf hub
Antennas
Key fob

Anything else?

This is the correct pin for pin 11 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-13627884-L?r=829-13627884-L

You’d need the door handles, too (if you want keyless entry). Also need all the correct connectors and terminals for: C2 connector on the rf hub, the antennas, and the door handles. So far, everyone that’s tried installing new fobs and rf hub (remote start kit for pre-2017s, for example), has failed using the alfa.

OP
OP
Cillys

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the correct pin for pin 11 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-13627884-L?r=829-13627884-L

You’d need the door handles, too (if you want keyless entry). Also need all the correct connectors and terminals for: C2 connector on the rf hub, the antennas, and the door handles. So far, everyone that’s tried installing new fobs and rf hub (remote start kit for pre-2017s, for example), has failed using the alfa.

Thanks. I'll buy a good handful of pins. Good thing I have a 2017 then. Lol. Oh the handles. I'll pass on them for a bit. I mainly want the push start. And the ability to leave the truck running and locked at the fuel island while I go inside to get receipt. Tho eventually I'll get the door handles.

OP
OP
Cillys

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I was wondering about that. The Boolean logic for the remote start. If it wasn't supposedly for needing the "hood latch status" routed to pin 11 on the bcm connector and making that setting change in Alfa about either 500 or 1k resistor. I'd go out there now and make the single change and swap the disc under the rubber pad and viola ... remote start ... but apparently there's a NAND gate. Actually knowing Chrysler. XOR gate ... SMH

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not trying to hijack your forum but I'm lost. I was going to buy the remote start kit for my 2017 Tradesman but the dealer said it was so hard to install they charge $500 labor. I wanted to install it myself and just have them turn it on and program the fobs. Now you make it seem relatively easy but what is ALFA. I was an auto mechanic for 30 years (20 for Chrysler) before I retired so I'm not afraid of trying it myself. Could you just give me a run down on what you did. The truck is a very basic unit but it does have fobs to lock and unlock the doors/tailgate. Thanks for any help you can give me.

OP
OP
Cillys

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not trying to hijack your forum but I'm lost. I was going to buy the remote start kit for my 2017 Tradesman but the dealer said it was so hard to install they charge $500 labor. I wanted to install it myself and just have them turn it on and program the fobs. Now you make it seem relatively easy but what is ALFA. I was an auto mechanic for 30 years (20 for Chrysler) before I retired so I'm not afraid of trying it myself. Could you just give me a run down on what you did. The truck is a very basic unit but it does have fobs to lock and unlock the doors/tailgate. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi. Yeah I was looking at adding remote start to my 2017 tradesman 5500 c&c. I have remote entry. Researched it and there's a remote start kit 82215553. It includes new hood-latch assy, wringing harness, two new fobtiks, zip ties and instructions. Plus they say your ECU will need programming by the dealer. Simple truth you don't need any of it!

Hood latch assy is only for safety. via the wiring harness while hood is closed it supplies a ground to pin #11 of a certain connection on the BCM. When hood is open the ground is broken and the BCM won't let remote start work. For example when you're working on the truck.

So instead of installing that latch and holy cows running that harness through the firewall. Just make a simple jumper wire with an in-line resistor. Pin #11 to a ground point.

AlfaOBD is a programming tool.

http://alfaobd.com

Allows for making the same changes in your BCM and other modules that the dealer will charge ya an arm and leg to make to enable remote start in your truck. Among tons of other options too.

The fobtiks already have the buttons there for remote start. If you open them up like you're changing the batteries. All they're missing to function is the tiny disc under the keypad that completes the circuit on the wafer board. So just pop out the disc under the panic button and glue it to where the remote start button is. You just won't have the drawing on the outside of the rubber pad. Or buy replacement on amazon and just replace the rubber cover all together. Tho Alfa can program new keys as well.

So technically you can have remote start for the cost of AlfaOBD and the OBD MX module and spare wire and a 1k ohm resister. Less than that if you have a friend with the Alfa and OBD MX.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just to add, some expanded reading on the remote start https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-remote-start-to-2017-ram.99849/

And the alfaOBD https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where is the BCM located and do you need all the special terminals listed in the link on installing the hood latch just to ground pin: 11? Since there are no longer any Radio Shacks where did you purchase your resistor?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Where is the BCM located and do you need all the special terminals listed in the link on installing the hood latch just to ground pin: 11? Since there are no longer any Radio Shacks where did you purchase your resistor?
The bcm is behind and above the parking brake pedal. Look at the C1/A connector (circled with arrow pointing at pin 11) b95OSQu.jpg

Is there a VT/BU wire populated in the connector that corresponds to this pin? A view of the connector:
S8GZGOg.jpg
Do you have the alfaOBD software? Let me know these two things, and I can tell you how to proceed.