how cold are your cold starts and how do you prepare your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I won 13k on a lemon law lawsuit because the dealer refused to fix a ticking/clicking condition that was suspension related. The manufacturer knows if it gets to a judge they will be skull ******, so they always settle the last day before trial-99% of the time. I ended up pocketing 10g's and at that time that 10g's changed my life. I live for the day a manufacturer deny's me coverage again.

Anyhow, I don't really disagree with what you say, it is a legitimate concern and the Pennzoil synthetics are well made oils. But in the future whether or not you chose a FCA product knowing that the put you in a box for what you can use, then that's on you. This is my last FCA product, and not because of mobil one oil but because all of the little stuff the refuse to address year in and year out. Chances are your hemi will break, and then the dealers seam pretty horrible they way they treat many of us despite the reason for all of these engines repairs is FCA's poor ass quality parts and not which oil you use.

Last Mopar product anyone else?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not brand loyal at all and have owned a bit of everything. In my experience they all suck to a certain extent. They all have issues they refuse to fix year after year. Good dealers for any brand are hard to find. I came from Ford and there are just as many complaints there. If you switch brands and expect sunshine and roses you will be disappointed.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have an excellent dealer and that's the only reason I'm still mopar. I've had problems with GMC, Ford and Nissan. Just as many problems with my rams, but I get it fixed properly by my local dealer. If I still lived where I used to I might be in a Nissan since they had a great service dept as well. The nissan dealer here is owned by the same people as the GM and so as far as I'm concerned I don't have a GM or nissan dealer nearby. The Ford dealer is decent, but I don't want a turbo V6. And the 5.0 is no hemi.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Agree BUT I wouldn't want to have to argue that point when it's easily avoided.

You should try this thing called 'google'.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...termarket-part-void-my-car-warranty/index.htm

Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the cars

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I agree that you can fight it but I decided to use quakerstate ultimate durability synthetic, great oil for under 21 bucks / 5qt at walmart.

Also as far as not buying Rams. I love my Ram. Best looking truck out there and the hemi kicks ass. I agre with BWL, I dont want a turbo V6. My son in law has a 2017 F150 2.7l, runs good but his father is a Ford service manager and said they've replaced quite a few turbos on them and the 3.5l. Thats fine under warranty but suck when you pay. And ford has their share of issues. I purchased the lifetime added care warranty for less than a friend paid for his 100k warranty on a new Explorer so we are better off with Ram & the options they offer.

Chevy has had their issues with burning oil and trans issues. I don't like those squared off wheel wells either.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
squared off wheel wells, lol they make tires and wheels for chevys now so you can fit bigger tires on them.

View attachment 117325
Might affect handling and ride quality , but the square look is in right now. Not recommended for winter driving or driving in general.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess we can move on. I carry a set of Canadian spec V bar tire chains in my truck in the winter for extreme weather on the back roads and they help a lot in mud as well if I need them. Also have the spider bungees to help keep them snug. They only work on my stock tire size though, which I run in the winter because they're pretty aggressive chains.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Right now my cold starts are around 10 deg F.
Glad I have remote start

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wish my remote start didn't shut the truck down in only 10 minutes. With how cold it's getting 15 or 20 would be better.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Wish my remote start didn't shut the truck down in only 10 minutes. With how cold it's getting 15 or 20 would be better.
Can't you add another 10minutes? I could on my Chevy

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As far as I know I can't on my 11' I'm going to see if I can on my 17'. For now I just start it twice when it's super cold.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
20180913_044806.jpg Winter just poked its head out for the first time. Wasn't ready yet. Time for snow tires and 0w20 for the next oil change as well as my usual maintenance items.dont even have a snow brush or a jacket with me. Out here longer than expected and got cold faster than usual

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 140523 Winter just poked its head out for the first time. Wasn't ready yet. Time for snow tires and 0w20 for the next oil change as well as my usual maintenance items.dont even have a snow brush or a jacket with me. Out here longer than expected and got cold faster than usual
Damn that's simply amazing! I'm sitting here in S.C. waiting for a hurricane and its going to be 88*F for a high today. As much as I despise ice and snow I don't know why anybody would trade cold weather for this. Hell I won't start thinking about winter until early December.