how cold are your cold starts and how do you prepare your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
threw a battery charger _5 f* if I need a block heater I'll move.

ictdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo
We are having minor issues here in Kansas...It was a balmy 10 degrees today for a high...I have not found that this truck has a block heater as it was originally a Texas truck, but I have been looking. Can you install block heaters as an aftermarket or OEM additional? My trickle charger is having trouble keeping up with this cold...Ideas?

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
We are having minor issues here in Kansas...It was a balmy 10 degrees today for a high...I have not found that this truck has a block heater as it was originally a Texas truck, but I have been looking. Can you install block heaters as an aftermarket or OEM additional? My trickle charger is having trouble keeping up with this cold...Ideas?
Most block heaters are a heater core cut into the heater element line, the antifreeze is heated warming the engine.......other heaters can be used that are less intrusive a common one being a dipstick heater, this follows the dipstick tube down to the oil sump and heats the oil accordingly....both methods are effective....If it gets much colder I'd lean for an oil heat method...but as of now I'm just using the battery charger.....running m1 oil has it's advantages, extreme cold is one of them.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
F THAT! Its 11 today in Maryland with a wind chill just under 0 and they are referring to it as "dangerous". I get cold walking 30 feet out my door to the wood pile to keep my house at 70 degrees. Coldest I have ever been was -6F after a Steelers playoff game. That was bitter. I don't know how or why people live in temps like yours!!!

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I agree , but then again it's canada......fresh clean living without having to worry to much about getting shot.........unless your hunting with elmer fudd.....

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can install a block heater aftermarket or use the factory mopar part. Trickle charger shouldn't have any issue keeping up though. I don't even plug my trucks in unless it's colder than about -4F and I never have starting troubles or battery issues. That includes my old 06 CTD.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Can you install block heaters as an aftermarket or OEM additional?
You should already have the block heater installed, it comes from Cummins with the heater. All you need is the block heater cord. Google it, there are tons of options and videos showing you how to do it. Essentially the block heater is just behind the oil filter in the 6.7. If you didn't get a cord when you bought it, it likely has a plastic cap on it. Remove the cap, install the cord and run the cord to the front grille.

My buddy's 2017 didn't include the cord. I told him to buy one and we will install it once this cold wave ends in a couple weeks. While it's not "necessary" for the temps that you and I are seeing, it saves wear on the engine by having warmer oil and allows the cab to heat up faster too.

I'd suggest a outdoor timer that kicks the heater on about 2 or 3 hours before you need to leave for work in the morning. Save electricity that way!

By the way, we leave for Florida in 5 weeks and 2 days... should be 75ish on the Gulf coast!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You guys are too cold for 5 winter oils, move to 0 weight 30 m1, or even better Redline 0w30, pours down to -60 other oils do not.

Look at the 5 weights, they look like honey except 5w30 redline because the PAO/ester base naturally flows colder. Click expanded view, if you are that cold you need 0 weights or even better ester/pao. Crystal clear at -30. 0w30 ester/pao like redline will even get you 10 more degrees from this charts limits.

cf028082-9c32-408b-9922-6c55c0d2dc53_SAE%20chart.jpg

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Anyone have a battery warmer? Debated getting one my Ram always starts it seems even when I don’t plug it in but the battery warmer/blanket seems like a good idea.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyone have a battery warmer? Debated getting one my Ram always starts it seems even when I don’t plug it in but the battery warmer/blanket seems like a good idea.
I have one. I only plug it in when it's colder than -20C though. It keeps the battery warm so it cranks like it would on a warm day.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I still have mine wrapped in the oem felt wrap..........but it depends on the heat IN the battery,lol.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
what do you guys think of an oil pan heater?
I haven't felt like I needed one so far, but I have considered getting a pan heater for the transmission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I use the normal oem block heater I added but I think the battery wrap is really nice I might add it.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
**** it, I'm moving!!!

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I live in NH & its been quite cold lately. It's -4° now & my truck (03 Ram 1500 Quad with a 4.7 with 25 k on it) won't start unless I get on the pedal. Even after driving to work for an hour, it will stall if I don't use 2 feet. No engine codes. I put it in garage with 70 000 BTU heater & warmed it up to 70 & it came out of it. I cleaned throttle body, got moisture out of resonator & the next day same thing. Parked outside & wouldn't start with just key. I have no problems when its 15 - 20 degrees out. Has plenty of cranking power. Tried some dry gas. Maybe fuel pump is tired, its original so 03. I put remanufactured in it last Dec, outside in my driveway lol

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I live in NH & its been quite cold lately. It's -4° now & my truck (03 Ram 1500 Quad with a 4.7 with 25 k on it) won't start unless I get on the pedal. Even after driving to work for an hour, it will stall if I don't use 2 feet. No engine codes. I put it in garage with 70 000 BTU heater & warmed it up to 70 & it came out of it. I cleaned throttle body, got moisture out of resonator & the next day same thing. Parked outside & wouldn't start with just key. I have no problems when its 15 - 20 degrees out. Has plenty of cranking power. Tried some dry gas. Maybe fuel pump is tired, its original so 03. I put remanufactured in it last Dec, outside in my driveway lol

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk
can't say for sure, but it sounds like a fuel problem. Have you tried adding some gas line antifreeze? It's not likely the problem, but possible and the cheapest thing to try first. Fuel pump would be my next guess,but if that year has one a fuel filter with some moisture in it would restrict the flow. It's a really common problem on diesels. Not as common on gas, but still quite possible.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
**** it, I'm moving!!!

It has been 65 all week/month in sonoma, we are expecting a cold spell in a couple days 59f.