How do I add a pin switch to the factory alarm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do I add a pin switch to the factory alarm wiring for a tonneau cover?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Usually the underhood pin is a single wire that when the hood is raised it will connect the wire to ground. Easy way is to tap into that wire and run it to the back to the new switch.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Usually the underhood pin is a single wire that when the hood is raised it will connect the wire to ground. Easy way is to tap into that wire and run it to the back to the new switch.

I think @Frankwhoa wants the factory vehicle alarm to sound if someone lifts his tonneau. Unfortunately the hood switch on these trucks do not set the alarm off, it is just to disable the remote start.
I was thinking the same thing when looking into adding a shock sensor. I had the hood open but the alarm didn't sound till I opened a door.

Someone posted a while back about adding this:
Megatronix UPS Add-On Shock Sensor To Factory OEM Car Alarm Security Systems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VHG3BA/
It gets wired to the door switch, a pink wire if I remember correctly on the driver's door.

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys.

Can you also hook the pin switch up under the hood to also set off the alarm or would you need a separate one under the hood and another one under the tonneau?

Coolbikr4684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know this an older thread but was anyone ever able to figure out how to add a switch to the factory alarm? TIA