How do I remove this stuck nut on battery connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bolts not that strong.As long as you get a good grip on the head of it,with a decent set of vise grips,it should twist off with a good grunt on a wrench or socket
^^^^

This is likely your best method to remove that nut without stressing the battery post.

I would make a good effort to attempt tightening it first but if that fails.

The nut should twist off without much effort.

As mentioned already, a fixed sized wrench, socket or a second set of vice grips. Forget trying an adjustable wrench.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess I will just leave the connector on with the bolt loosened cause the nut still won’t come off. Thx guys.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Guess I will just leave the connector on with the bolt loosened cause the nut still won’t come off. Thx guys.
Pull the battery connector off the post,and then try winding the nut back down,using the same method as i suggested.It should still have enough threads to tighten up. Lock onto the square head with vise grips,then use a 10 mm socket to turn it past the staked part of the bolt,but get it off the battery post first,so you can get your hands around it to work on the bolt.Once you get the nut wound back down to where it'll tighten up,use a small screwdriver to pry the connector open slightly so it fits farther down onto the battery post,then re-tighten the bolt.But get it pulled off the battery post to work on it,as i think you're trying to do everything while the connector is on the battery post,and you won't get very far doing it that way

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull the battery connector off the post,and then try winding the nut back down,using the same method as i suggested.It should still have enough threads to tighten up. Lock onto the square head with vise grips,then use a 10 mm socket to turn it past the staked part of the bolt,but get it off the battery post first,so you can get your hands around it to work on the bolt.Once you get the nut wound back down to where it'll tighten up,use a small screwdriver to pry the connector open slightly so it fits farther down onto the battery post,then re-tighten the bolt.But get it pulled off the battery post to work on it,as i think you're trying to do everything while the connector is on the battery post,and you won't get very far doing it that way
Ok, thank you. I will try that tomorrow since I am not driving it today and to frustrated.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do u know if they have them in store at all?
Dunno, I see there are Craftsman knockoffs out there. The one I got in my toolbox goes back to like 73. But the new knockoff got bad reviews. U may wanna get that nice set off of Amazon for a future issue. IF any place gonna have, be a tool sales place or Auto Store. Lowes I think had the Craftsman knockoff. U just gonna have to decide.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
my suggestion would be to buy a pair of these at a Any Auto Parts store, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc.

Battery Terminal Spreader and Reamer

1700963982202.png
https://www.amazon.com/Proto-Battery-Terminal-Spreader-Reamer/dp/B002FCG7LC
1700964100295.png

or carefully use two open end wrenches

remove the battery cable off of the Battery.
insert the pliers into the battery cables post hole & squeeze the pliers to spread the Hole just enough for the cable to fit snuggly yet fully down onto the battery.

That should work until you find a better fix
like buying a new cable

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
my suggestion would be to buy a pair of these at a Any Auto Parts store, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc.

Battery Terminal Spreader and Reamer

View attachment 532310
https://www.amazon.com/Proto-Battery-Terminal-Spreader-Reamer/dp/B002FCG7LC
View attachment 532312

or carefully use two open end wrenches

remove the battery cable off of the Battery.
insert the pliers into the battery cables post hole & squeeze the pliers to spread the Hole just enough for the cable to fit snuggly yet fully down onto the battery.

That should work until you find a better fix
like buying a new cable
You usually don't want to ream a newer style battery clamp,you're better off using a small screw driver to pry it open slightly.Reaming battery clamps was something we did back when they were a lead based clamp,and then you used a hack saw blade to create more split after removing the clamps bolt so the clamp would still tighten up.Now a days you can't remove alot of the battery clamp bolts,so using a hacksaw blade to open up the clamp is tougher.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I did not realize that, it shows how long it has been since i worked on a newer vehicle.

The only battery that i have touched recently, has been batteries for my 1979 Harley Davidson Trike

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Wow take the clamp off then use a hacksaw to cut the bolt replace with a new one and a nylock nut. Replace it onto the battery and tighten. Because I’m old and lazy I would probably use a grinder to cut the bolt but I don’t recommend that for you because you don’t seem to be ready for that.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
That one is pretty easy wrenching sometimes calls for desperate measures

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Grinder ( no guard no handle super thin and worn cut off disc no gloves no safety glasses nuts only tighten by hand be a man)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
(I'm new with battery's) You are messing with a hydrogen bomb if the thing blows up from mishandling. You are unfamiliar with the process. Get your local shop to fix it.... watch them do it and explain what they are doing.

I've blown up 2 batteries in my 48 year professional career and been witness to numerous other battery explosions in shop. There is a REASON for all those WARNINGS all over the battery.

I'd suggest you heed them and hire a pro.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Might not be that easy watch the South Park show about the pander verse lol. The state of the world is not that great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357