How do I remove this stuck nut on battery connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was trying to replace the battery today when the last step was putting on the battery connectors and the negative connector bolt had a stuck nut on the end that would not come off at all. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get the nut off of the bolt or remove the bolt and nut and replace them?

Attachments

• IMG_0630.jpeg
    IMG_0630.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 61

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
First, I would take the terminal off of the battery to work on it. I wouldn't want to crack or bust my battery by stressing it. See if you can get a pair of vise-grips on the square end then you should be able to wrench off the nut. Lastly, get a good fitting wrench and throw that adjustable wrench back in the toolbox. Just curious, why do you need it removed?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was trying to replace the battery today when the last step was putting on the battery connectors and the negative connector bolt had a stuck nut on the end that would not come off at all. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get the nut off of the bolt or remove the bolt and nut and replace them?
It's a staked nut,odds are the bolt will break if you try to twist the nut completely off

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's a staked nut,odds are the bolt will break if you try to twist the nut completely off
^^^ this
That nut/bolt holds on the IBS. Any grounds your looking to add should be done on the connection before the IBS.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So am I good to twist it off or should I try tightening it to see if it will get back on the threads?

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ this
That nut/bolt holds on the IBS. Any grounds your looking to add should be done on the connection before the IBS.
I don't quite understand what u mean (I'm new with battery's). Are u basically saying to take the bolt off when the connections are not hooked up?

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I would take the terminal off of the battery to work on it. I wouldn't want to crack or bust my battery by stressing it. See if you can get a pair of vise-grips on the square end then you should be able to wrench off the nut. Lastly, get a good fitting wrench and throw that adjustable wrench back in the toolbox. Just curious, why do you need it removed?
I need it removed because the nut is stuck on the end of the bolt and it wont tighten up the connection, so its loosely on the battery right now.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I’d use a demel or similar and split the nut. Then replace it along with the bolt if necessary

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So am I good to twist it off or should I try tightening it to see if it will get back on the threads?
It should wind back down. You can get a replacement bolt at pretty well any auto parts store,if you did bugger it,to the point it won't tighten,but you'll have to break or cut the bolt to replace it

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I need it removed because the nut is stuck on the end of the bolt and it wont tighten up the connection, so its loosely on the battery right now.
Makes sense. Take the new battery out of your way and cut it off if you have to. Get a good hold to it and the nut may thread past the staked end. Worst case, cut it all off and replace the whole terminal.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't quite understand what u mean (I'm new with battery's). Are u basically saying to take the bolt off when the connections are not hooked up?
There's no reason to pull that nut/bolt out of the IBS. I mentioned adding ground wires in case you were installing something like an amplifier that needs a dedicated ground wire which would be connected before the IBS.
Sounds like you may have ruined the nut on the IBS battery connection, the options now are cut the existing bolt off and replace or replace the entire IBS.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heck, use a nut cracker, cut off the nut. Replace the nut, or just replace the Bolt/Nut combination. They got those lil fix it kits at Walmart. Easy peasy. Go to O'Reillys and buy a new bolt. Just do not mess up your IBS on the negative cable or ground the cable when U R doing stuff if Positive still attached to battery.

ADDED: OP, Hope U pulled the Positive Cable while messing with the negative cable. If not, U could inadvertently ground cable and could have an issue. Just a FYI.

nut cracker set.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It should wind back down. You can get a replacement bolt at pretty well any auto parts store,if you did bugger it,to the point it won't tighten,but you'll have to break or cut the bolt to replace it
Do u know the easiest way I could cut it? I don't want to go out there and spend a bunch of money on crap that doesn't even work.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heck, use a nut cracker, cut off the nut. Replace the nut, or just replace the Bolt/Nut combination. They got those lil fix it kits at Walmart. Easy peasy. Go to O'Reillys and buy a new bolt. Just do not mess up your IBS on the negative cable or ground the cable when U R doing stuff if Positive still attached to battery.

ADDED: OP, Hope U pulled the Positive Cable while messing with the negative cable. If not, U could inadvertently ground cable and could have an issue. Just a FYI.

View attachment 532303
Will this work on a staked nut though? I was messing with it while positive was hooked up like an idiot, but the truck started up when the negative was on loosely.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will split any nut, U just gotta pay attention. BUT if U not comfortable, get someone to Help U. The set is nice to have, U neva know when U gotta cut off a nut, especially on exhaust stuff. But again, if U not comfortable, get some help.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do u know the easiest way I could cut it? I don't want to go out there and spend a bunch of money on crap that doesn't even work.
If you have a set of vise grips,grab the square head of the bolt,and use a wrench on the nut,and just twist the hell out of the nut,the bolt will break.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will split any nut, U just gotta pay attention. BUT if U not comfortable, get someone to Help U. The set is nice to have, U neva know when U gotta cut off a nut, especially on exhaust stuff. But again, if U not comfortable, get some help.
Do u know if they have them in store at all?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stop trying to fix your own snit and pay someone next time. Or find a service manual and study up. Intelligent battery sensor. Not irritable bowel syndrome.