How do I remove this stuck nut on battery connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You usually don't want to ream a newer style battery clamp,you're better off using a small screw driver to pry it open slightly.Reaming battery clamps was something we did back when they were a lead based clamp,and then you used a hack saw blade to create more split after removing the clamps bolt so the clamp would still tighten up.Now a days you can't remove alot of the battery clamp bolts,so using a hacksaw blade to open up the clamp is tougher.
Goes back to the days of pouring "coke" on yer battery posts to clean up the acid. We had money for coke, no money for fancy spray stuff from auto store, LOL.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely not! It will over heat and is a potential fire hazard. Many a burnt up harness because of loose battery connections.
DITTO !!! DITTO !!!!! DITTO !!!!

added: If OP was closer, I would have him come over to my Hacienda and spend 5 minutes and help him out. WI too far from dis BOIRD.

CAVEAT: OMG, 4xdad, don't tell him to use a grinder, argh..............

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Be careful when working near a battery

I had a battery explode just inches away from me.
I was riveting sheet metal in a race car, in the area where normally the rear seat would have been.
The battery tray was just to the right & slightly to the rear of the drivers seat.
The battery was hooked up to a charger & it must have been too hot, because it blew up, it was loud inside that shell of a car.
What saved me from wearing the battery acid, was that we kept a section of inner tube over the battery, except for the battery posts, it or something like it was required to run at the local 3/8 mile circle track.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
A battery on a charger will produce Hydrogen gas highly explosive!!! Some how I don’t think op has a grinder.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A battery on a charger will produce Hydrogen gas highly explosive!!! Some how I don’t think op has a grinder.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he may run to wally world and buy a cordless Dremel, lol, or at least Hart tools version.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Be careful when working near a battery

I had a battery explode just inches away from me.
I was riveting sheet metal in a race car, in the area where normally the rear seat would have been.
The battery tray was just to the right & slightly to the rear of the drivers seat.
The battery was hooked up to a charger & it must have been too hot, because it blew up, it was loud inside that shell of a car.
What saved me from wearing the battery acid, was that we kept a section of inner tube over the battery, except for the battery posts, it or something like it was required to run at the local 3/8 mile circle track.
We were boosting a grain auger once,and the old man was using the tiger torch to warm up the ole Brigg's crankcase,when he got a little close to the battery.There was chunks of battery blown through the side of the burn barrels a good 100ft away,but we were both lucky and never had anything hit us.The only part of the battery left was the bottom part that was sitting in the angle iron battery tray.Ever since then,i've been mighty cautious with sparks or flame around a battery,whether it's being charged or not.I'm not the smartest guy on the block,but i figure that was our 1 lucky go around with an exploding battery,and i'm not willing to try out another battery explosision.
The guys saying use a grinder or sawzall around a battery,need a slap upside the head,whether they think they're being funny or not.In other words if you can't help the man out,keep your damn mouth shut. A guy's gotta start somewhere,and not everybody is mechanically inclined,so don't be giving him bad advice ,even if you think it's funny,as it's not

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We were boosting a grain auger once,and the old man was using the tiger torch to warm up the ole Brigg's crankcase,when he got a little close to the battery.There was chunks of battery blown through the side of the burn barrels a good 100ft away,but we were both lucky and never had anything hit us.The only part of the battery left was the bottom part that was sitting in the angle iron battery tray.Ever since then,i've been mighty cautious with sparks or flame around a battery,whether it's being charged or not.I'm not the smartest guy on the block,but i figure that was our 1 lucky go around with an exploding battery,and i'm not willing to try out another battery explosision.
The guys saying use a grinder or sawzall around a battery,need a slap upside the head,whether they think they're being funny or not.In other words if you can't help the man out,keep your damn mouth shut
Neva blew up a battery. We were airing up some Military Run flats one time, and had no cage, in the field and blew up a tire. That was not pretty. Funny how them Hummer tires say 20 psi, LOL.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Seriously though op those bolts are really pretty soft so you should be able to use a set of vide grips and a socket to just twist it in half. As a heavy equipment operator and an avid 4wheeler I have seen lots of battery’s blow up. That’s one of the reasons an age battery is better but they are spendy. Always disconnect the cables any spark can cause an explosion. Some of the older guys probably picked up on the grinder thing. I am just a smarta$$ old fart trying to be funny.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I guess not all my attempts at humour are successful but it seems to me that some things are obvious. And you are right not everyone is a mechanic and some people have to learn the hard way. That’s what YouTube is for

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Goes back to the days of pouring "coke" on yer battery posts to clean up the acid. We had money for coke, no money for fancy spray stuff from auto store, LOL.
My go to was baking soda /warm water and a little dish soap mixed in with the water/baking soda mix,with a scrub brush,you'd end up with a battery looking almost new,didn't fix a bad battery,but at least it looked good :Big Laugh:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Keep the comments up, u guys are to funny!
You should be able to wind the nut back down,and it'll tighten up.I've ran into a few guys who've tried to remove that nut,and end up with it stuck on the stake,most times once you get the nut loosened back up,it'll wind down and work again.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be able to wind the nut back down,and it'll tighten up.I've ran into a few guys who've tried to remove that nut,and end up with it stuck on the stake,most times once you get the nut loosened back up,it'll wind down and work again.
Yes, I will be doing that today. Also to anyone wondering, this is my first truck and first time ever working on a big battery so give me a break. A lot of my tools are still at my dad’s house, so I was tryna see if there was any tips or tricks to loosen the nut without having to grab my tools or wait till thanksgiving was over to go out and buy some. Over the years I did basic work on lawnmowers, dirt bikes, and mini bikes. And thank u too Wild One for being so kind!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If you’re not mechanical inclined try to cultivate friendships who are the neighbors see me messing with my truck all the time so sometimes they ask for help or tools. I generally try to help if Ivan. Borrowed them my plasma cutter they were very grateful and it got what would have been apita done in a second

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re not mechanical inclined try to cultivate friendships who are the neighbors see me messing with my truck all the time so sometimes they ask for help or tools. I generally try to help if Ivan. Borrowed them my plasma cutter they were very grateful and it got what would have been apita done in a second
OP: No Plasma cutters near Battery !!!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DITTO !!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Yeah no sparks or flames of any sort. It’ was a joke. Wouldn’t think you would have to point out the totally obvious but….

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357