How many miles for serpentine belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Interested to know if owners have experienced this belt failure, and at how many miles?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I change every 7, but that is me. Depends not only on mileage, idling, but also weather (Hot/Cold) all affects belt, IMHO (very humble opinion).

ADDED: Helps to look at your belt once in a while and look for any wear, tear on the belt and maybe look at yer pulleys and idler tensioner also. Force of Habit: PMCS (ie., military: Preventive Maintenance Checks Services, a condition burned into the brains of military personnel who deal with vehicles and equipment).

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I change every 7, but that is me. Depends not only on mileage, idling, but also weather (Hot/Cold) all affects belt, IMHO (very humble opinion).

ADDED: Helps to look at your belt once in a while and look for any wear, tear on the belt and maybe look at yer pulleys and idler tensioner also. Force of Habit: PMCS (ie., military: Preventive Maintenance Checks Services, a condition burned into the brains of military personnel who deal with vehicles and equipment).

Did you mean 70K ?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Elastomer compounds and fibers have really improved over the past 30 years. The thing to look at is fatigue and age cracks across the ribs. When you start seeing them, it's time to change. There are too many application variables to define a standard change interval with these high quality materials now days.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
On my '05 CTD the serp belt failed at a bit over 28K miles. It was an odd failure, as it sorta began to shred one rib at a time. The belt did not have much in the way of cracking prior to that. I was fortunate that I got it shut down before the flailing tails did any collateral damage. All pulleys and idlers were A-OK. Installed another OEM belt, and it was still on there when I sold the truck. Other than that weird deal, I have never had a serp belt issue on any vehicle.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would go by wear indicators (cracks, etc). Yeah, 100k isn't out of the question. Even if a belt has a lot of cracks, doesn't mean it's near failure. You gotta look at how many cracks, and even how deep are they, etc. And be sure to buy a quality replacement.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you mean 70K ?
7 years. I do not travel ne distance enuf to put 70 K on a truck real quick. More on the 7 years ref sitting, heat, wear, cold, critters (U neva know), oil on belt from changes, all stuff like that. Also, like MONTANAHandy said, change, then keep the old one as a spare. BUT this is my personal preference, why I also posted that URL in my entry.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go by wear indicators (cracks, etc). Yeah, 100k isn't out of the question. Even if a belt has a lot of cracks, doesn't mean it's near failure. You gotta look at how many cracks, and even how deep are they, etc. And be sure to buy a quality replacement.
YUP, gotta look, and not buy the $19.95 replacement belt, LMAO. All a matter of personal preference and "feel good" syndrome. I know as my truck gets older, if I was thinking of a Long trip, I would pay serious attention, but again, just how I am since I started playing in the driveway on like a 65 Buick, hee hee.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know a guy with 198,000 on his original belt.

I'm waiting for his to break...
I know there are always the exceptions, 198K on a belt, OK, kinda like not changing timing belts on a lot of cars that have them that need to be changed at like 100K, or those silly "plastic" timing chain set ups. There is always something, just how the "world" turns. All in my very lowly IMHO...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
On my '05 CTD the serp belt failed at a bit over 28K miles. It was an odd failure, as it sorta began to shred one rib at a time. The belt did not have much in the way of cracking prior to that. I was fortunate that I got it shut down before the flailing tails did any collateral damage. All pulleys and idlers were A-OK. Installed another OEM belt, and it was still on there when I sold the truck. Other than that weird deal, I have never had a serp belt issue on any vehicle.

Sounds like a misaligned belt? Offset on a pulley by one rib? Easy to do without 2 guys to change it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I know there are always the exceptions, 198K on a belt, OK, kinda like not changing timing belts on a lot of cars that have them that need to be changed at like 100K, or those silly "plastic" timing chain set ups. There is always something, just how the "world" turns. All in my very lowly IMHO...

Not exactly equivalent, T-Bird.....a timing belt failure will toast an interference engine, like a Honda. A snapped accessory belt is usually audible, at any rate you'll get a high coolant temp warning or run out of battery juice.

Generally (sans AC compressor), the accessory belt is not as heavily loaded as a cam timing belt. I remember on our big 60 liter diesel engine it took 50 horsepower to drive each camshaft!!!

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 classic went nuts squealing every time it got below 25 degrees. It had 33,000 at the time it started. I’m buying the expensive gates green belt next fall which should stop that noise. The new belt technology is supposed to be the cause. Swell

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not exactly equivalent, T-Bird.....a timing belt failure will toast an interference engine, like a Honda. A snapped accessory belt is usually audible, at any rate you'll get a high coolant temp warning or run out of battery juice.

Generally (sans AC compressor), the accessory belt is not as heavily loaded as a cam timing belt. I remember on our big 60 liter diesel engine it took 50 horsepower to drive each camshaft!!!
Understand, just a saying. I have unfortunately had to help a few friends whom loved the extended look of time on those timing gear/chain fiascoes and what happens afterward, LOL. Glad at least our RAMS do not have to worry about that, just Cams and Lifters, argh, lol. But I shan't worry. Drive it, enjoy it, maintain MX, that be the key.

ADDED: Got it, but I would not compare a 1.6L engine to a Diesel, hee hee. Now I did own a 2nd gen ED, which I traded up for the Hemi. There is always an issue somewhere, why I drive, maintain and enjoy and have "warranty" just in case. (I had no problems with my ED, but I traded up when it just had 10K on Odometer, just was not comfortable with it). I guess what made me trade, was when pulling out, from all places from a funeral home. Traffic was moderate, but not too bad. Well I floored it, and the truck just stood there with the friggin lag, and I almost got tagged. Needless to say, bye bye ED, hello Hemi. Again, just my own experience.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When my Gates HD isnt green anymore I swap it.
I am a firm believer that sometimes a lil "Preventive MX" (PMCS), sometimes actually works and may save you from heartaches in the future. Just like maintaining good oil change intervals, using quality filters and oil, etc etc.,. All IMHO .....

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Sounds like a misaligned belt? Offset on a pulley by one rib? Easy to do without 2 guys to change it.
Nope, it was the factory belt, and was running true. I cut the flails off with my knife, and drove it to the house, as I was close by getting the mail. The belt didn't fully broke.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nope, it was the factory belt, and was running true. I cut the flails off with my knife, and drove it to the house, as I was close by getting the mail. The belt didn't fully broke.

Perhaps a new, improved belt (read: lower cost and higher profit for Stellantis). This is what happens with a long-lived product - the executives get hold of it and mandate "profit improvement programs" (PIP).