How much lift can I gain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So from that, I should be able to go up an inch w still 1.5" left? I know I need to lift the weight off the coil but will I need a spring compressor as well or just a good coil wrench?
With the fox 2.5’s you do have to compress the spring to adjust them. They do not have a dual collar and they are truck springs.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
This is my post from last year:::::
Small update. BDS tech support told me that the Fox 2.5 coil overs come preset at 6" lift and can be adjusted to 7" if the UCA's are upgraded. He then said they do not recommend raising the front of a ram taller than 7" total. I left out that I'm sitting at 8 1/2" right now.
So with out having them in hand yet I believe the limit may be higher and they wont say. I do not want to preload them that much for much truck anyway but I will do my best to evaluate their capabilities.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This are the Fox 2.5 CO's 2-3" lift for the 4th gen 1500, single collar adjuster,
Fox 2.5 coilovers

Quick shifter is showing us the 4-6" ones here, also single collar adjuster
BDS/Fox 2.5 coilovers

If you want to compress the spring you may need to remove the CO, compress the spring, adjust the collar and put everything back. Again i won't judge your methods. I'm not a a certified machanic and i haven't screwed it up in years since i've been adjusting my coilovers in multiple applications. sure compressing the spring is safer.

Fox uses a similar collar to Icon, most important thing is to remove the wheel from the vehicle, loosen up the pinch bolt 1 full turn, the turn the collar. Contact Fox to know exactly how many turns you'll need for 1", with King is 0.2" per every full turn. It might be different with Fox.
Fox threads seem a little smaller compared to King
[50679082428_37fd12776d_h.jpg2020-12-04_09-35-57 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

so you may need more turns to achive 1" lift. Per the video below from Icon, they say 4 turns for 1/2" and that partiucalr Icon CO feature similar threads to the Fox shocks for the RAM 1500, at least the 4th gen one. We haven't seen the new 6" for the DT truck., Fox can confirm for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Fireman, please confirm with Fox. I looked at a picture of your truck and realize you have a DT truck. The Fox 883-06-080 i listed are the 2.5 CO's for the 4-6" kit that BDS sells for the DS 1500 trucks.
Fox is not listing a 4-6" CO for the DT trucks yet, but they should be able to confirm a part# for you, and you extended lenght and compressed specs.

If they didn't or if you wanted to know what you have anyways, you already know your top hat to lower eye bolt already at 24".

Just lift the truck from the front cross member for example just enough so the wheel is in the air just a tad. then do the same measurement you did with the top hat to lower eye bolt. That'll give you your max extended assembly.

This is just in case Fox doesn't give you any specs on your Coilovers or again if you're curious to confirm exactly what you have for max extended lenght.
I emailed them. Im thinking its the same but we will see.

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
This is my post from last year:::::
Small update. BDS tech support told me that the Fox 2.5 coil overs come preset at 6" lift and can be adjusted to 7" if the UCA's are upgraded. He then said they do not recommend raising the front of a ram taller than 7" total. I left out that I'm sitting at 8 1/2" right now.
So with out having them in hand yet I believe the limit may be higher and they wont say. I do not want to preload them that much for much truck anyway but I will do my best to evaluate their capabilities.
Although I would like 2" , I opted for 1" as I ordered 1" rear spacers last night . I didn't upgrade the UCA. I think 7" total will be fine. Its not an offroad truck so there isn't alot of added stress going on. Are you still using your factory UCA at 8.5"?

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
From FOX.....
BDS is a Fox held company that does the design and development for the suspension lift kits. They specify the tuning and dimensions for the proprietary Fox Shock part numbers built for them.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well at least we know why the BDS kits don't have a 2.5 body shock for the rear and whey they only package 2.0's rear shocks with their propietary kits :)
I guess this means they won't give you a part number. Oh well. Can you lift one wheel up in the air and take your CO measurements like you did at ride height ? We'll know at least how long they're compared to the CO's in the DT model.

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Well at least we know why the BDS kits don't have a 2.5 body shock for the rear and whey they only package 2.0's rear shocks with their propietary kits :)
I guess this means they won't give you a part number. Oh well. Can you lift one wheel up in the air and take your CO measurements like you did at ride height ? We'll know at least how long they're compared to the CO's in the DT model.
I can do that tomorrow. I can also email BDS again and see if they have the specs.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Although I would like 2" , I opted for 1" as I ordered 1" rear spacers last night . I didn't upgrade the UCA. I think 7" total will be fine. Its not an offroad truck so there isn't alot of added stress going on. Are you still using your factory UCA at 8.5"?
I run Zone UCA’s have always have once I went above level

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
What rear springs do you have the 5”?
You will need new rear sway bar endlinks when you add the spacer to the rear to level our your swaybar. I had a 1.5” spacer on top of my 5” rear coils back when I was higher

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
What rear springs do you have the 5”?
You will need new rear sway bar endlinks when you add the spacer to the rear to level our your swaybar. I had a 1.5” spacer on top of my 5” rear coils back when I was higher
I have the 5" rear coils and added the CORE 6" end links over the BDS kit ones.

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
@Fireman48 , were you able to measure your CO's ?
I did not but I believe they are the same as the Classic. With some running 8" on them and from what BDS said I can go and inch higher easiliy. I got 1" rear spacers and the coil wrench. Just need to grab some coil spring compressors. I got stuck changing my sons control arms on his fusion. 3 bolts seized. 4 hr job took 10 hrs. Hopefull I get it on this weekend. Kinda wish I went 2".