How much lift can I gain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
I have the BDS coilover 6" lift w Fox 2.5" and new rear springs. Honestly, I always expected it to be higher but I did come from a 2500 Cummins 4x4, 5" lift on 37s.
This is my trucks coilover w a standard business card held up for comparison. By looking at this, how much lift can I gain? If it's a 6" now, I hear I can go to 7" but it sure looks like theres more to be had.
Also, the adjustment valves on the reservoirs have no indication of turning which way does what. Anyone?

Input? 20201202_152329.jpg 20201202_152329.jpg 20201202_155018.jpg

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have the BDS coilover 6" lift w Fox 2.5" and new rear springs. Honestly, I always expected it to be higher but I did come from a 2500 Cummins 4x4, 5" lift on 37s.
This is my trucks coilover w a standard business card held up for comparison. By looking at this, how much lift can I gain? If it's a 6" now, I hear I can go to 7" but it sure looks like theres more to be had.
Also, the adjustment valves on the reservoirs have no indication of turning which way does what. Anyone?

Input? View attachment 229204 View attachment 229204 View attachment 229206
The exposed threads show how low you can go. The coil overs are made for the 4 and 6 inch lifts. That is why there are so many exposed threads. BDS does not recommend adjusting them higher than 7” can you go more, maybe but they would not ride good at all and your geometry may be off

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
If you want to appear higher take your step bars off and go with Amp Research steps

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
If you want to appear higher take your step bars off and go with Amp Research steps
The exposed threads show how low you can go. The coil overs are made for the 4 and 6 inch lifts. That is why there are so many exposed threads. BDS does not recommend adjusting them higher than 7” can you go more, maybe but they would not ride good at all and your geometry may be off
The whole shock is threaded. The pic I posted earlier was the thread above the collar. This pic shows above and below. Raising the collar up would put less pressure on the coil hence raising the truck correct not lowering? Compressing the coil, increasing the threads above the collar would lower the truck.
How can I tell/measure to determine how much lift it is currently set at?20201202_191222.jpg

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI

My bad. I had it backwards. So how can I find out if its at 6"?
Does the resevoir damping do anything really? I have no info on adjusting.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The whole shock is threaded. The pic I posted earlier was the thread above the collar. This pic shows above and below. Raising the collar up would put less pressure on the coil hence raising the truck correct not lowering? Compressing the coil, increasing the threads above the collar would lower the truck.
How can I tell/measure to determine how much lift it is currently set at?View attachment 229225
I know I have the same ones ;)

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
My bad. I had it backwards. So how can I find out if its at 6"?
Does the resevoir damping do anything really? I have no info on adjusting.
The adjustment knob speeds up and slows down movement so you don’t feel much of a difference. I tell my customers turn it all the way one direction and drive it for a week then turn it all the way the opposite direction and see which way you like better.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
2C3ACB39-C1CF-422F-8B92-64936608853F.jpegMine do not have the adjustment knob so I can’t tell you what setting I run on

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Email BDS with that picture on the card and ask them how much more preload can you run on the CO. They should be able to show how to measure your preload and how much more preload you can add before you get too close to maxing out the full extension on your shocks at ride heigth.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regarding Fox DSC if you have it, it's the reason you pay more for Fox DSC is super neat.

Here you'll have a more general idea how to set them up. Fox gives you a low speed and high speed compression knobs with the DSC where as King or Icon give you a one knob to blend both into one dial. One knob is easier for the newbs but the Fox DSC gives you more control.

Accutune can also help you out. This is now my to go shock maintenance and tuner company. Super cool dudes and well respected in the offroading community here in Socal.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/should-i-get-dsc-adjusters-on-my-fox-shocks/

You can try to close the high speed all the way, then give 2-3 clicks to open. I don't think your low speed clicks so use a sharpy to mark what fully close is then use that to give you an idea on how to set 2-3 clicks as well.
Best way to test low speed is to find a dirt road and and test from say 20-30mph. You want to do the other faster. BDS can give you an idea how many clicks you want to set the high speed one. You'll be touching prob the low speed more.

Have fun

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Email BDS with that picture on the card and ask them how much more preload can you run on the CO. They should be able to show how to measure your preload and how much more preload you can add before you get too close to maxing out the full extension on your shocks at ride heigth.
I did. Let's see what they say.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did. Let's see what they say.
No problem.
This will give you an idea. this is how i did mine Thanks to Accutune.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/oem-front-coilover-shock-setup/

How to Measure your coilovers
With your vehicle at ride height on level ground, measure from the top of the “top cap” to the center of the lower shock bolt. This is the shock length at ride height with the vehicles weight on the shocks. With some quick math, we can figure out where the shock is sitting and how much up or down travel it has from that point.
(see chart for max height suggestions)
measuring-shock-length-450x360.jpg

In my case Coilover top hat to lower shock nut eyelet at ride height: 20 1/2". I called Accutune to find out how much more preload i could add and they recommended not to exceed 21" for my King application. Total extended lenght in my coilover is 22.5"

King specs are 22.50 extended, 16.8" compressed.

Your Fox 2.5 lenght specs (Directly from Fox website) are: 26.57" extended, 20.38" compressed.
So measure from your top hat to the eye of the lower bolt on a flat are, you'll know where yours are sitting at at ride height. leave about 1.5" tops for your shocks to fully extended. BDS will know better though, or you can also contact Fox directly and ask since fox makes the coilover.

hopefully this gives you the idea.
From the examples from Accutune, i put our values in a excel spreadsheet just to be able to see this in context. Don't know if BDS or Fox will say your max measurement will be 25" or not from your top hat to lower bolt, but it's the best i can show on how to do this.

upload_2020-12-3_12-46-51.png

Have fun.

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
No problem.

With your vehicle at ride height on level ground, measure from the top of the “top cap” to the center of the lower shock bolt. This is the shock length at ride height with the vehicles weight on the shocks. With some quick math, we can figure out where the shock is sitting and how much up or down travel it has from that point.

In my case Coilover top hat to lower shock nut eyelet at ride height: 20 1/2". I called Accutune to find out how much more preload i could add and they recommended not to exceed 21" for my King application. Total extended lenght in my coilover is 22.5"

Your Fox 2.5 lenght specs (Directly from Fox website) are: 26.57" extended, 20.38" compressed.
So measure from your top hat to the eye of the lower bolt on a flat are, you'll know where yours are sitting at at ride height. leave about 1.5" tops for your shocks to fully extended. BDS will know better though, or you can also contact Fox directly and ask since fox makes the coilover.

From the examples from Accutune, i put our values in a excel spreadsheet just to be able to see this in context. Don't know if BDS or Fox will say your max measurement will be 25" or not from your top hat to lower bolt, but it's the best i can show on how to do this.

View attachment 229318

Have fun.

From BDS...
Thanks for choosing BDS Suspension. You can add a bit of preload to the C/O, to increase ride height. But I would not do too much. 1/2” to ¾” of ride height. This would only take adding 3/8” to ½” of preload to the C/O. You do need to use a spring compressor and remove all the load off the adjuster to do this. I hope this info helps.

Not sure if that's the CYA answer or not. I'll do some measuring and post my numbers. Seems you got the math thing locked down. Lol

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
No problem.

View attachment 229318

Have fun.
24" exactly.

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
So from that, I should be able to go up an inch w still 1.5" left? I know I need to lift the weight off the coil but will I need a spring compressor as well or just a good coil wrench?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So from that, I should be able to go up an inch w still 1.5" left? I know I need to lift the weight off the coil but will I need a spring compressor as well or just a good coil wrench?
Yep, that's the theory. you can also confirm with Fox.
Tell them your measured numbers from top hat to the lower bolt is 24" at ride height
Your CO max extended is 26.57" per Fox literature, Fox Part# 883-06-080
and if you can add 1" more preload to the CO to put you in in the 25" mark at ride height.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From BDS...
Thanks for choosing BDS Suspension. You can add a bit of preload to the C/O, to increase ride height. But I would not do too much. 1/2” to ¾” of ride height. This would only take adding 3/8” to ½” of preload to the C/O. You do need to use a spring compressor and remove all the load off the adjuster to do this. I hope this info helps.

Not sure if that's the CYA answer or not. I'll do some measuring and post my numbers. Seems you got the math thing locked down. Lol
This is how i adjust my Kings,
basically
1.) wheel off the ground,
2.) i take the wheel off
3.) loosen the pinch bolt one full turn per King instuctions, don't exceed that count
4.) right tighty to go up, lefty loosy to go down
in my case every one full turn in the adjuster is .2" lift, so for one full inch you'll need 5 full turns in the adjuster.
5.) tighten the pinch bolt
put everything back

Fast forward to min 1:00 for the idea.

Heck post#143 of what i had to do to turn the adjusters. You'll have to deal with the same mount so perhaps is easier for you since you have the 6" version, mine are the normal 2-3" CO's. the reservoir hose is in the middle so a normal spanner won't work for me.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2014-ram-1500-express-crew-cab.124750/page-15#post-1915755

This are my punches. the T one is from Kings and you woouldn't believe how easy it's to manage the job. I don't take the CO's out of the truck to adjust them. Have done the same job 1000 times combined. that's the beauty of CO's. only exception to this are the 2.0's because the way their adjuster is setup. We don't have that issue. make sure to coat the CO threads with wd40 or penetrating oil, blow some air before if they're muddy or super dusty.

50402351566_9e50f944c3_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Have fun bro.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fireman, please confirm with Fox. I looked at a picture of your truck and realize you have a DT truck. The Fox 883-06-080 i listed are the 2.5 CO's for the 4-6" kit that BDS sells for the DS 1500 trucks.
Fox is not listing a 4-6" CO for the DT trucks yet, but they should be able to confirm a part# for you, and you extended lenght and compressed specs.

If they didn't or if you wanted to know what you have anyways, you already know your top hat to lower eye bolt already at 24".

Just lift the truck from the front cross member for example just enough so the wheel is in the air just a tad. then do the same measurement you did with the top hat to lower eye bolt. That'll give you your max extended assembly.

This is just in case Fox doesn't give you any specs on your Coilovers or again if you're curious to confirm exactly what you have for max extended lenght.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Fox Coilovers require the spring to be compressed to adjust them otherwise you’re likely to strip the threads on the body.