How To: Add Factory Keyless Enter N Go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As an aside to shipping woes, cold weather and sourcing pins/connectors, I have a question about installing the door antennas:

Would there be any reason why installing the door antennas into the B pillar on a Crew Cab wouldn't work? It seems, given the apparent difficulty of running wires through the cab/door connector, that the B pillar would seem to be easier to access, and certainly would be simpler from a wiring perspective. I've yet to pull the lower pillar cover off the truck (or ANY cover for that matter), so I don't know what's behind the plastic (besides the lower seatbelt mounting point and retractor mechanism) that would be either conducive to or prohibitive to using that area as the mounting location. I'd doubt reception is a prohibition, since the wiring diagram calls for these to be mounted in the rear doors, but I'd like a consensus answer!

A secondary question on the mounting: did you guys who installed these in the door screw the antenna to the carrier plate? Were there clearance issues behind the carrier plate? If you mounted the door antenna elsewhere, did you use screws or 3M double-sided tape? Physically mounting in the B-pillar might be easier if the shape of the pillar would allow for using 3M tape (and adhesion promoter with it). I know Jimmy07 used 1/2" self-tappers on the back wall, and I'd guess I'll have to see what the ORC bracket in my center console has for screws, so the front/rear antenna install locations are clear to me. Just wondering about those door antennas.

Thoughts?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As an aside to shipping woes, cold weather and sourcing pins/connectors, I have a question about installing the door antennas:

Would there be any reason why installing the door antennas into the B pillar on a Crew Cab wouldn't work? It seems, given the apparent difficulty of running wires through the cab/door connector, that the B pillar would seem to be easier to access, and certainly would be simpler from a wiring perspective. I've yet to pull the lower pillar cover off the truck (or ANY cover for that matter), so I don't know what's behind the plastic (besides the lower seatbelt mounting point and retractor mechanism) that would be either conducive to or prohibitive to using that area as the mounting location. I'd doubt reception is a prohibition, since the wiring diagram calls for these to be mounted in the rear doors, but I'd like a consensus answer!

A secondary question on the mounting: did you guys who installed these in the door screw the antenna to the carrier plate? Were there clearance issues behind the carrier plate? If you mounted the door antenna elsewhere, did you use screws or 3M double-sided tape? Physically mounting in the B-pillar might be easier if the shape of the pillar would allow for using 3M tape (and adhesion promoter with it). I know Jimmy07 used 1/2" self-tappers on the back wall, and I'd guess I'll have to see what the ORC bracket in my center console has for screws, so the front/rear antenna install locations are clear to me. Just wondering about those door antennas.

Thoughts?

Allegedly the antenna has about a 5 foot range to the fob, so being the door allows for longer arms to grab at. I cant think of any reason they wont work in the B-pillar, in fact once i get my connectors I will find out. I already need to add 3 runs of wires to my front door, not trying for 4!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was curious about the b-pillar too, but havent had a chance to pull the cover to check for space. That would be ideal, IMHO, because its basically where the factory mount is so reception/distance shouldnt be an issue. And of course there is no fishing of wires into the door. I have a quad cab but Im pretty sure the b pillars are the same for quad and crew.

There is a retrofitters guide out there that happened to have pics of where the door antennas belong and it looked like there is a cutout in the carrier plate for it. Looking at the parts diagrams, all quad and crew cab have the rear door carrier plate with antenna cutout, regardless of if your truck came with prox entry, so if you happen to fish it to the rear door you can mount it just like factory. Only regular cabs come with the correct carrier plate on the front door. Quad/crew have a separate part number for carrier plate with sales code GXD (Keyless Enter)

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Factory-style would be ideal, but I just remember seeing someone posting about putting new speakers & wiring in their back doors on a CC: and the body/door connector in the B-Pillar seems even MORE of a PITA than the front door connector. Granted, 16ga wire is much thicker than the 24ga stuff I have, but still- it seemed like a nightmare.

I'll find out in two weeks: too cold (and no power switch) this weekend to mess with the truck (no garage, and my parking pad is under snow and ice). Next weekend is my drill weekend, so Presidents Day Weekend I'll be able to coordinate getting to my buddy's shop to do the install. I'll pull the cover (I think I would need to just to run the wires forward anyway) and see if I can locate a suitable position to mount the antennas in the B-Pillar. I'll just make sure I have my 3M adhesion promoter to help with the "stick" if it seems that it's viable to mount there.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Thoughts?
I don’t see any reason the b-pillar wouldn’t work. I’m about to install my handles that I FINALLY received, so while I’m at it I’ll pull the b panel. If I see a good spot, I’ll post a pic.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff, @Jimmy07

Only worry I have with b-pillar is lack of space between the trim piece and the body, but I dont have an antenna in hand to know just how much room is necessary.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s lot of room back there
I just tapped my rear door speaker wires from there

Thats good news! Then something like heavy duty velcro or 3M exterior mounting tape should work. Might even be able to mount it to the back of the plastic trim instead of directly to the body.

Less wires to fish = better!

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If it wasn't 20 degrees, I'd take one out there right now and see...

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

Thoughts?

I used 3m to mount to the carrier plate and back wall.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m a little sketchy about a mounting location in the B-pillar. The indented channel that I’m pointing to is too narrow because of the mounting tabs on the antenna. You could stick it up in the hole towards the bottom of the picture, but you would have to use 3M tape/velcro, because screws would go through the inside panel and be exposed on the outside. My antenna is in the rear door next to the speaker, and I can unlock/lock the door from as far away as I can reach from any direction of the truck. My opinion, front door is probably easiest. You already have to pull the door handle wires through, so it wouldn’t be a big deal to pull the handle and antenna wires through at the same time. 3coiqN6.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about sticking it to the back of the trim piece that covers the post? if the mounting tabs are on that side maybe the antenna body itself nests nicely inside that channel in the pillar?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What about sticking it to the back of the trim piece that covers the post? if the mounting tabs are on that side maybe the antenna body itself nests nicely inside that channel in the pillar?
There’s some insulation cloth on the inside of the panel. kpDl4st.jpg

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Guess that answers THAT question. Thanks Jimmy!

For kicks, I took these pics:

Width at the connector end (1 1/4"):

20190202_173034.jpg

Width at the other end (7/8"):

20190202_173014.jpg

Overall length (3 3/4": bad alignment with the tape and trying to use a flashlight to counteract the shadows my lamp was casting):

20190202_173051.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the height off the mounting surface/table, but it's about 7/16" high (thickness).

The tab on the right side (opposite the antenna connector) adds about 1/2" to the width at that end, and it's "webbed" on the edges to add structure to it. It doesn't extend past the connector though, so cutting it off likely wouldn't gain much.

Last edited:

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
BTW:

Here's the RF Hub that was deemed appropriate for a 2016 MY (Big Horn) that HAS Remote Start from the factory. Not sure if the only addition would be the RS antenna and hood latch along with some AlfaOBD work to enable Remote Start in a truck that came from the factory WITHOUT RS.

Note the PN is 68245484AD

20190201_201731.jpg

Here's the right (driver's side when installed) side connectors:

20190201_201744.jpg

And here's the left (pass side when installed) C2 connector port. Note, there's only 6 rows of pins populated. (12 total):

20190201_201754.jpg

With only 12 pins, you'd likely have to double up the door handle wires per pin set as there aren't any connections beyond the 7/17 pair. I'd guess that's how autotechelectric.com makes the rear proximity handles work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
BTW:

Here's the RF Hub that was deemed appropriate for a 2016 MY (Big Horn) that HAS Remote Start from the factory. Not sure if the only addition would be the RS antenna and hood latch along with some AlfaOBD work to enable Remote Start in a truck that came from the factory WITHOUT RS.

Note the PN; is 68245484AD

View attachment 154105

Here's the right (driver's side when installed) side connectors:

View attachment 154106

And here's the left (pass side when installed) C2 connector port. Note, there's only 6 rows of pins populated. (12 total):

View attachment 154107

With only 12 pins, you'd likely have to double up the door handle wires per pin set as there aren't any connections beyond the 7/17 pair. I'd guess that's how autotechelectric.com makes the rear proximity handles work.
Yeah, they’re just wiring the two handles together in parallel for each side.
For remote start, all you would need is the antenna that plugs into the fakra connector and the hood latch.