How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calebram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 2500 crew cab tradesman. The frontsfront terriblely uncomfortable and are manual. Im wanting to know if I can install power/leather seats from 2017/2018? Is it just plug and play? Will 17-18 1500 seats work or just 2500 seats? Looking on eBay there is some options just don't know what to purchase.

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have a 2020 2500 crew cab tradesman. The frontsfront terriblely uncomfortable and are manual. Im wanting to know if I can install power/leather seats from 2017/2018? Is it just plug and play? Will 17-18 1500 seats work or just 2500 seats? Looking on eBay there is some options just don't know what to purchase.
Yes, the 19+ HDs still use the same seat bases (and foam actually) as the 09-18 trucks. (I'm in the process of re-skinning my '17 seats w/ brand new skins from a 19 HD and they fit perfect).
You will probably need to rewire a little bit as I'm sure they changed that, but 1500, 2500, etc won't matter only thing you will have to look for is airbags, some HDs didn't come with airbags in the seats (mostly chassis cabs). You will need seats w/ airbags if you currently have them.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes, the 19+ HDs still use the same seat bases (and foam actually) as the 09-18 trucks. (I'm in the process of re-skinning my '17 seats w/ brand new skins from a 19 HD and they fit perfect).
You will probably need to rewire a little bit as I'm sure they changed that, but 1500, 2500, etc won't matter only thing you will have to look for is airbags, some HDs didn't come with airbags in the seats (mostly chassis cabs). You will need seats w/ airbags if you currently have them.
The 4th gen 13-18/19c seats are electrically different than the 5th gen HD seats (2 heat settings vs 3). The 19/20 5th gen seats use a single connector (2 on the 4th gen) . . . So while the 4th gen seats will bolt in, they can't be connected to anything as is.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Applebaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Is there a plug and play kit that someone sells for a 2015 tradesman to get working 2017 laramie seats? The only thing I'm worried about is the air bag deploying because of misplaced wire or not deploying if I get in an accident

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Bighorn that started life with the 8.4"RA and standard seats. I upgraded to a 2019 Classic UAS radio then installed heated and cooled seats from an 14" Laramie. I turned on the codes for the seats in Alfa, and it appears that my "Controls" screen resized to allow for the seat controls, however they are not appearing. Does anyone know if I need to use that infotainment module to allow for radio control of the seats?

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a steering wheel from a 2017 that is supposed to be heated. The P/N is missing. Is there anyway to identify a heated from a non?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have a steering wheel from a 2017 that is supposed to be heated. The P/N is missing. Is there anyway to identify a heated from a non?
Pictures? Should be a large 2 pin connector in the middle for the heated portion.

* Didn't see your other post until now.... Did to end up getting the 4c Seat Interface Module? (That's likely the issue if you are 100% sure you didn't miss a BCM config setting. I've heard 2nd hand that some 16 trucks may need it)

M² Mods.

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pictures? Should be a large 2 pin connector in the middle for the heated portion.

* Didn't see your other post until now.... Did to end up getting the 4c Seat Interface Module? (That's likely the issue if you are 100% sure you didn't miss a BCM config setting. I've heard 2nd hand that some 16 trucks may need it)

M² Mods.

This is what the connectors look like. I was thinking it was the white one on the bottom.

I got the latest version of the seat interface module and it didn't change anything. I even turned off all the settings, gave it a couple of days and re-enabled them. About a week later I found a setting in Alfa at the very bottom of the list called "Cabin Net - HSM Heated Seat Module Initialize" and changed it to "Enabled". After the truck went to sleep the buttons appeared on the screen and everything is good to go. Not 100% sure this wouldn't have worked with the stock module off of the 2014 Laramie seats.

2014 Module
P/N 68217268AA
HW 131400
SW 132900

Latest Module
P/N 68217268AF
HW 131400
SW 174000

IMG_1313.jpg

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I believe that's a heated wheel and the connector at the top of the picture is the heat connector.

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Ricks Ram and @STecoD

Is STecoD (or you if you're using the UAQ again), running the 4c Seat Interface Module on your 14 & 15 trucks that for the heated seat mod?

Did you ever try the Cabin Net setting mentioned above? (I recall it being brought up in here before also?)

... I found a setting in Alfa at the very bottom of the list called

"Cabin Net - HSM Heated Seat Module Initialize"
... and changed it to "Enabled"

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram and @STecoD

Is STecoD (or you if you're using the UAQ again), running the 4c Seat Interface Module on your 14 & 15 trucks that for the heated seat mod?

Did you ever try the Cabin Net setting mentioned above? (I recall it being brought up in here before also?)

M² Mods.
I only kept my UAQ in my truck for about a week before I pulled it out. I used the interface module and it showed the seat controls correctly before I pulled it out so I never changed anything in the BCM settings.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently added the heated clock spring and steering wheel. Options were turned on with Alpha, but both the hard button and soft buttons on the radio temporarily turn on, then back off. Any ideas as to what might be causing that? All other steering wheel controls function properly and I know for sure the plug for heating was plugged into the new clock spring.

***edit - figured it out. I live in south Texas. It was over 100 and steering wheel was in direct sun when I got in my truck to test it. I just retested it this evening and everything works. I had no idea that it was sophisticated enough to shut it off if the steering wheel gets above a certain temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could anyone verify something for me? A yard I deal with is looking to sell a whole entire steering wheel column with the wheel. I would still need the clock spring correct? Nothing is apart and the wheel is supposedly heated and intact. I have an SXT with the dummy blue plug

The correct clock spring should be in the column. I did the same thing, however I discovered they spun the steering wheel and broke the clock spring. They ended up selling me the steering wheel for $45. I bought a used clock spring for $70.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The correct clock spring should be in the column. I did the same thing, however I discovered they spun the steering wheel and broke the clock spring. They ended up selling me the steering wheel for $45. I bought a used clock spring for $70.

As stated the Clockspring will be correct IF it's truly a heated wheel but in many cases the wrecking yard spins the wheel ruining the Clockspring. They would need to center the steering wheel when they removed the column and not let it rotate so you can take it apart and install the Clockspring in your truck without letting it rotate or install the whole column in your truck but obviously just switching the Clockspring is much easier.

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to hook up the solid red wire in the passenger side seat in order for the power functions to work. You will take pins 1 through 5 colors are #1 LG/BR #2 BR/LG #3 TN/DB #4 TN/WT #5 LG/VT from the passenger seat plug and run them to the drivers side seat gray plug. Pin# 2 TN/WT 3 TN/DB 5 BR/LG 6 LG/BR and 15 LG/VT.

Okay so I hooked everything up for heated seats but when I press any of the hard buttons the light turns on for 2 seconds and then turns off. I’m getting a code from heating module saying right front heat sensor. When hooking up the wiring you said to run 5 wires in between both seats. 1 wire connects to pin 2 of the driver side seat but according to the google drive posted, that pin is for left rear heated seat temp sense but I don’t have rear heated seats. So instead of connecting to pin 2, I connected to pin 19 (heated seat sensor return) which matched up with the passenger seat. Is this my problem? Should I fix and connect to pin 2?

0C77123D-F585-4054-8A78-9B84CCE7B1EA.png

FD54FE03-EF41-4E1F-AE64-58F9BF2DCE1A.png

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I'm sorry I must have accidentally typed in the wrong info somehow on which connector was which....from the 20 pin grey connector to the passenger side seat
Pin#3 gray connector right front heated seat temp sense TN/DB to passenger yellow connector pin#3

Gray connector pin#5 right seat vent return BR/LG to pin# 2 passenger seat yellow connector

Gray connector pin#6 right seat vent feed LG/BR to pin#1 passenger seat yellow connector

Gray connector pin#15 right front seat heater control LG/VT to passenger seat yellow connector pin#5

Gray connector pin#19 TN/WT heated seat sensor return to pin# 4 passenger seat yellow connector.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check this and see if it matches what you have.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah so my wires are correct. I ran from the PDC to the driver and passenger power connectors. Also from the PDC to the two P/Y wires at gray connector on driver side. I ran 4 wires to under the steering wheel. 2 going to the obd port and 2 going to where the heated wheel terminates. I don’t think I’m missing anything else. I hooked up to the obd port just to see it work. I enabled all possible codes needed. All I get is lights for 2 seconds and then turns off.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two pink and yellow wires go to pin#7 and 8 in the drivers yellow connector not the drivers grey connector. Not sure if you typed that by mistake. Non of the wires from the PDC go to the drivers gray 20 pin connector. There is a possibility you have your wires connected incorrectly in the PDC or possibly a bad crimp or connection. It's hard to say without seeing it in person. These things are touchy. It's probably something simple. There are no other DTC codes?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990