How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just finished installing the Flashlogic Remote Starter Dodge RAM 2013-2017 1500 2500 3500 Plug N Play Harness FLRSCH10 in my 2017 Ram SLT.
Skipped the horn and the hood pin but plugged in the parking lights.
It was so simple.
Really is plug and play other than plugging the module into their website for the key cloning. Push the lock button 3X and truck starts!
Would definitely recommend it!
Got mine for $160 on eBay.

Tempted to just go with this. Seems easier

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
Hey Guys. Trying to add remote start to a 2017 Dodge 5500 Tradesman. I have read and read through all the forum posts about this, but still see conflicting information in regards to bypassing the hood switch.

Here's where I am at:

- I have purchased overlays for my current tipstart keys
- Have programmed all the settings via AlphaOBD according to the document in the google drive above with success
- Going back to page one of this thread, I have verified on the body side of the Gray connector in the PDC that there is wiring, but on the on the front side on pins 1 & 2 there is no wiring, nor is there any factory wire present near the latch.

When I double click the remote start button The doors lock and the horn honks and I can see "remote start aborted - hood ajar" on the cluster. (so I pretty sure I'm close!) If I run a jumper wire in the gray connector from pin 1 over to pin 2 on the connector, when I try to remote start I just get the door lock and honk, and the Cluster powers on, but remains blank with no message.

I have tried changing the resister settings to both 500ohm series & parallel and 1K parallel resistor in alfaOBD, but no change.

So yes I have read there are some people that say run a 1000 ohm resistor to ground on pin 11 on the harness in the body, but since it appears I have wiring to pins 1 & 2 on the grey connector inside the PCM, I would assume I could just do it from there? No? And since pin 2 is supposed to be the sensor ground shouldn't I just be able to jump from pin 1 to pin 2 with the 1000ohm resistor?

This seems like the easiest method, BUT....

1. I haven't read anywhere of someone doing this successfully from this gray connector location.
2. I haven't read a for sure confirmation that the 1000ohm resistor jump even works (there are still people claiming that the just grounding out a pin works.) Just people suggesting it.

Of course I know I can go back to page one to order the new latch and sensor and a plug repair kit, but someone on here must have jumped and bypassed this sensor successfully.

Can anyone confirm any of the above? And am I right on my assumptions?

Thanks!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey Guys. Trying to add remote start to a 2017 Dodge 5500 Tradesman. I have read and read through all the forum posts about this, but still see conflicting information in regards to bypassing the hood switch.

Here's where I am at:

- I have purchased overlays for my current tipstart keys
- Have programmed all the settings via AlphaOBD according to the document in the google drive above with success
- Going back to page one of this thread, I have verified on the body side of the Gray connector in the PDC that there is wiring, but on the on the front side on pins 1 & 2 there is no wiring, nor is there any factory wire present near the latch.

When I double click the remote start button The doors lock and the horn honks and I can see "remote start aborted - hood ajar" on the cluster. (so I pretty sure I'm close!) If I run a jumper wire in the gray connector from pin 1 over to pin 2 on the connector, when I try to remote start I just get the door lock and honk, and the Cluster powers on, but remains blank with no message.

I have tried changing the resister settings to both 500ohm series & parallel and 1K parallel resistor in alfaOBD, but no change.

So yes I have read there are some people that say run a 1000 ohm resistor to ground on pin 11 on the harness in the body, but since it appears I have wiring to pins 1 & 2 on the grey connector inside the PCM, I would assume I could just do it from there? No? And since pin 2 is supposed to be the sensor ground shouldn't I just be able to jump from pin 1 to pin 2 with the 1000ohm resistor?

This seems like the easiest method, BUT....

1. I haven't read anywhere of someone doing this successfully from this gray connector location.
2. I haven't read a for sure confirmation that the 1000ohm resistor jump even works (there are still people claiming that the just grounding out a pin works.) Just people suggesting it.

Of course I know I can go back to page one to order the new latch and sensor and a plug repair kit, but someone on here must have jumped and bypassed this sensor successfully.

Can anyone confirm any of the above? And am I right on my assumptions?

Thanks!

Try starting the engine, take it for a short drive, and try the remote start again with the jumper in place. Sometimes the truck needs to be drove for some reason and have a couple key cycles for it to take.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
Try starting the engine, take it for a short drive, and try the remote start again with the jumper in place. Sometimes the truck needs to be drove for some reason and have a couple key cycles for it to take.

I will try that and see.

To clarify. You are saying try the wire jumper again from pin 1 & 2. (Not a resistor - which I current don't have my hands on one of those)

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I will try that and see.

To clarify. You are saying try the wire jumper again from pin 1 & 2. (Not a resistor - which I current don't have my hands on one of those)

Correct. Most that go the " cheaper" route will cut the wire coming out of pin 11 and just ground it. Pin 11 is a pain to get too.

The remote start kit you would buy doesn’t come with a resistor. All the Mopar kit includes is 2 keys, hood latch and a harness that has a ground and a wire that goes to pin 11. Which tells the bcm whether the ground connection to the latch has been broke.

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
Correct. Most that go the " cheaper" route will cut the wire coming out of pin 11 and just ground it. Pin 11 is a pain to get too.

The remote start kit you would buy doesn’t come with a resistor. All the Mopar kit includes is 2 keys, hood latch and a harness that has a ground and a wire that goes to pin 11. Which tells the bcm whether the ground connection to the latch has been broke.

Great. I will try the jumper again now that I have driven it. One other question.

Does it matter which setting in the CBC I/O Usage-Hood ajar switch if you are trying to use a jumper?

I have tried changing the resister settings to both 500ohm series & parallel and 1K parallel resistor in alfaOBD, but no change. The write up on google docs says to use 1K parallel resistor setting. But there are several posts in this thread to use 500 ohm series & parallel resistors.
Again. Conflicting...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Great. I will try the jumper again now that I have driven it. One other question.

Does it matter which setting in the CBC I/O Usage-Hood ajar switch if you are trying to use a jumper?

I have tried changing the resister settings to both 500ohm series & parallel and 1K parallel resistor in alfaOBD, but no change. The write up on google docs says to use 1K parallel resistor setting. But there are several posts in this thread to use 500 ohm series & parallel resistors.
Again. Conflicting...

I think the resistor choice maybe more on a truck to truck basis. Try 1k. If that doesn't work try 500/500 and then we'll go from there

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
(BTW - I left the 500/500 resistor setting And it took)

This was exactly the FIX! Tried it again and remote start worked perfectly. I’ve learned to let the vehicle sit for 30 minutes to make sure changes took. But didn’t know a drive and few key cycles would make a difference. THANK YOU!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
This was exactly the FIX! Tried it again and remote start worked perfectly. I’ve learned to let the vehicle sit for 30 minutes to make sure changes took. But didn’t know a drive and few key cycles would make a difference. THANK YOU!

Good to hear. When I did mine I went through everything 3 times and still would only get the doors to lock, lights would flash and horn would honk. Let it sit overnight and nothing. Ran to the store and back, decided to try it again and it worked. So there is something with adding the remote start the truck needs at least one key cycle and possibly a short drive to take.

John7821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you get the 4 digit pin from the dealer. I have a 17 model so no need to replace the module but I'm guessing I still need to have the pin to reset the module with alpha obd

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
How do you get the 4 digit pin from the dealer. I have a 17 model so no need to replace the module but I'm guessing I still need to have the pin to reset the module with alpha obd

Yes you'll have to reset the module. Some dealers won't give it out, will charge upto a $100 or are mislead on whether they can or how many they can give out per day. Go into your dealer to the service department and ask for the 4 digit pin for the rf hub. If they want more than $15 walk out. You can use a app called Chrysler pin puller and for $15 get it yourself. A lot of people have used it with zero issues.

Stlram81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Attempted the remote start today. I had the plug so I just got the hood latch. I installed it and followed the wrote up. No luck. Lights flash and doors lock but no start. I let it sit. Drove it. And let it sit some more. Still nothing. I'm assuming that since the plug was there it's connected on the other end? I didn't try the different resistor setting. I used the 1000ohm as the write up said. Is there something else I'm missing? I figured it was to easy lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm in the middle of this process myself. I had wiring on the driver side of pcm connector for the hood latch but I had nothing in the passenger side of pcm connector or in pin 11 at BCM. I will now have to populate pin 11 at the BCM. I wonder if your wiring is setup like mine.
2018 1500 Express

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Attempted the remote start today. I had the plug so I just got the hood latch. I installed it and followed the wrote up. No luck. Lights flash and doors lock but no start. I let it sit. Drove it. And let it sit some more. Still nothing. I'm assuming that since the plug was there it's connected on the other end? I didn't try the different resistor setting. I used the 1000ohm as the write up said. Is there something else I'm missing? I figured it was to easy lol.

Try 500/500

Stlram81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I tried the 500/500. I'm getting the remote start aborted hood latch open so it's not landed on the BCM I'm assuming. Guess that's a fight for another day. I was just rereading the thread and got to that part. Thanks for the quick suggestion. This is an awesome step by step. Hell of a job.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So I tried the 500/500. I'm getting the remote start aborted hood latch open so it's not landed on the BCM I'm assuming. Guess that's a fight for another day. I was just rereading the thread and got to that part. Thanks for the quick suggestion. This is an awesome step by step. Hell of a job.

Try resting the rf hub then take a quick drive