How-To: Add USB Charger Outlet in Rear Doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Last edited:

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nice work! And a great video too! Good camera angles and to the point, no fast forward needed. Can't wait to see what else you do! Subscribed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is actually really cool.... If I didn't have 2 other projects lined up in the garage I would buy the stuff for it.

sickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great idea and seems like a pretty good location. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for posting.

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Great video!!! I have been fussing with a rear USB charging port as well. I never considered the door. Such a great idea. Thank you for taking the time to do this video. Its already on my to do list.

Cheers
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jokrswylde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You know what is really irritating? This looks such an easy and awesome mod.

BUT! I know, with 100% certainty, that my attempt would include at least 2 stripped screws, a broken plastic tab somewhere, a wire cut that is not supposed to be cut, a door panel that didn't quite fit right and thus rattles every time I hit a bump, and at least 3 or 4 extra screws and fittings that I shrug my shoulders at and think "huh, wonder where those came from".

I would finish the mod dirty, sweating, cussing, and guaranteed that every time I plug a phone in to charge I would get the "Weak Charging Detected" warning.

Great video though! Very well done!

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Adding USB chargers or cigarette lighter outlets in the back of your truck is pretty easy!

What you'll need:
Amazon: USB Outlet/charger X2
Amazon: 1 1/8 Hole Saw
Amazon: T15 Screwdriver
Amazon: Wire Strippers
Amazon: Multimeter

You'll first remove the rear doors, figure out which wire to tap into at the window switch, add your wiring, drill a hole, install your USB outlet!

Let me know if you guys end up installing somewhere else.

Great post! Love the video explaining it so well. Great job, definitely gonna add this to the RAM!

OP
OP
continuecrushing
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You know what is really irritating? This looks such an easy and awesome mod.

BUT! I know, with 100% certainty, that my attempt would include at least 2 stripped screws, a broken plastic tab somewhere, a wire cut that is not supposed to be cut, a door panel that didn't quite fit right and thus rattles every time I hit a bump, and at least 3 or 4 extra screws and fittings that I shrug my shoulders at and think "huh, wonder where those came from".

I would finish the mod dirty, sweating, cussing, and guaranteed that every time I plug a phone in to charge I would get the "Weak Charging Detected" warning.

Great video though! Very well done!

Nice to hear from someone with mechanical abilities like mine!

Haha, a few spare screws should be fine. Consider it weight reduction.

ptuttle78

Reaction score
Love it. Will definitely come in handy with kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Got it done,Very simple,Thanks again

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Got the usb chargers here, waiting for my new Rockford Fosgate speakers to arrive and I will do them all at one time. Thanks again for the post on this!