How to fix my mushy transmission shifts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jough Blough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am the original owner of a 2008 dodge ram 1500 4 x 4 quad cab. It only has 108,000 miles and has always had mushy shifts. Does anyone know how to connect with the transmission computer to improve shifting to a more firmer shift?

OP
OP
J

Jough Blough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shifts firmer but at higher rpm. I was hoping to get it to shift up firmer at lower rpm and lighter throttle for better mileage.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I notice it lower in mine when I use the tow haul button, but my tranny is built and has a shift kit. Was hoping it would help in your case.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Somebody has to make that already.

I have an Edge Juice tuner on my truck. It does allow you to reprogram the shift points. It's "vehicle specific" so I don't know if it's available for your year and model, but I have to believe if I have this, you can find something. Maybe even a sport shift add on with paddles. Heck, maybe even from a Dodge Charger or Challenger.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Older Superchips tuners were capable of reprogramming the shift schedule if the option was purchased. No one bothers with the RFE anymore.
I would like a device that would allow me to shift it manually.
You can, unless you mean being able to specifically select ALL gears. Then no, not doable.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 03 and to my knowledge, it's the only model year you can actually disconnect it?
It was like adding a shift kit afterwards it shifts so hard now.
Best free mod I've done.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 03 and to my knowledge, it's the only model year you can actually disconnect it?
It was like adding a shift kit afterwards it shifts so hard now.
Best free mod I've done.
That's disconnecting torque management (aka TMR mod).