How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, I use Fluid Film on a bunch of things around the house

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@U&A is it the Fluid Film AR or the Fluid Film Heavy Wheel Well Grease? Both look like they would work for the wheel well lips....

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
@U&A is it the Fluid Film AR or the Fluid Film Heavy Wheel Well Grease? Both look like they would work for the wheel well lips....

I used the actual AR only because it had such a LONG time frame between applications. It was somthing like every 3years. I only used in in the “ high spray” areas.
Haven’t tried the “wheel well grease”

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to pick up a couple cans and give it a try. I usually use oil in areas like rockers and so on. Oil seeps into the tiny space between where seams are stamped over ....and hasn't let me down.

Is this stuff thin enough to seep into the small creavices (seams) like oil will? It seems like it would be 'thicker' and not soak down into folded metal. What's your experience? Thanks

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my older GM short wheelbase truck, the main rear cab support (to the frame) is right between the box and the cab. That bracket has a 'catch' on it that captures and holds dirt, salt, water, leaves .....and whatever falls between the gap at the cab/box. The brackets then rust out and then the back of the cab falls down when the bracket is 'gone'. The bracket is riveted to the frame, nobody sells a replacement, and making a new one is really tricky due to all the angles and contours ...and the height has to be perfect or the cab won't sit level. It was a lot of work. I went to the salvage yard just to see if there were any I could cut off but they were all rusted a lot worse than mine! Every one of them.

So, I get what the O/P was saying. Drilling a hole in those brackets and putting oil or a rust preventative in there would be a great way to save a big problem down the road!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to pick up a couple cans and give it a try. I usually use oil in areas like rockers and so on. Oil seeps into the tiny space between where seams are stamped over ....and hasn't let me down.

Is this stuff thin enough to seep into the small creavices (seams) like oil will? It seems like it would be 'thicker' and not soak down into folded metal. What's your experience? Thanks
Oil would work as well in fact I used to use drain oil my vehicles. It's just kind of flammable and illegal in most cases but yes it works well.

Fluid Film does go on thicker than oil but it does creep long after application. I'm assuming Krown and other similar products do as well.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just add something small to HEMI’s thread....

I wear it one piece Tyvek suit over my clothes. Super cheap just throw it away when you’re done.

Also this year I did not have my air compressor so I took a chance and opted for a cheap harbor freight airless paint sprayer. I also used instead of propane to heat the fluid film, a George Foreman grill ( LOL...) with a pot full of FF sitting on it. On low setting it took about an hour to get nice and liquidy and it sprayed perfectly and the harbor freight airless sprayer did a fantastic job.

I will Post a picture of what I’m about to explain but the only issue I thought I was going to run into was when I was laying on the ground the sprayer would be tilted therefore not sucking liquid from the bottom of the cup. I simply cut off about 3/4 of the plastic pipe that sticks down into the cup and put a rubber hose on it just long enough so it would bend down at an angle to the bottom corner of the cup when I lay down on the ground. This allowed the hose to suck all of the liquid out of the cup instead of running out because the gun was at an angle.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Undercarriage spray

Fluid Film, Boeshield, and Krown T40 all work well for this application. I would also add to remove the tail lights on the newer Rams (2 torx screws) and spray the inside of the box inner/outer.

See attached pics for undercarriage spray wand I made. It rolls on casters with 4 nozzles. The spray head came from Amazon and then to Lowes or Home depot for extensions and fittings. I added pipe insulation so I don't scrape my rockers on lower vehicles. Works well with just about any pressure washer.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fluid Film, Boeshield, and Krown T40 all work well for this application. I would also add to remove the tail lights on the newer Rams (2 torx screws) and spray the inside of the box inner/outer.

See attached pics for undercarriage spray wand I made. It rolls on casters with 4 nozzles. The spray head came from Amazon and then to Lowes or Home depot for extensions and fittings. I added pipe insulation so I don't scrape my rockers on lower vehicles. Works well with just about any pressure washer.
That's pretty damn ingenious!

Thanks didn't even think about taking the rear taillights out that's a great idea

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hay hemi,

Forgot to say I did not find the strap over the gas tank we were talking about needs a hole drilled in it do we have confirmation the heavy duty trucks have the same set up?

I looked over real hard and there is nothing that I can see that needs a hole in it. I could be missing it

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hay hemi,

Forgot to say I did not find the strap over the gas tank we were talking about needs a hole drilled in it do we have confirmation the heavy duty trucks have the same set up?

I looked over real hard and there is nothing that I can see that needs a hole in it. I could be missing it
Honestly I don't know what a HD frame looks like. On the 1500s the gas tank strap is locked into the part the mount on the driver's side frame rail on one side of the tank and bolted to the cross member right on the inner side of the tank. Then that cross member is welded to the passenger frame rail which is where it also hold water. If that makes any sense at all. I tried to get a good pic of this but because I'm laying on the ground I couldn't zoom out enough to get the whole gas tank. Just follow the gas tank straps and it'll be pretty obvious if it's similar to the 1500s.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Looked at your pictures little harder ..... now I know what you’re talking about. that brace the goes from one frame rail to the other ( over the gas tank) has 2 drain holes at the bottom of each end on the HD trucks. Ill take a pic tonight when i also take a pic of the spray gun settup i used.

This thread rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looked at your pictures little harder ..... now I know what you’re talking about. that brace the goes from one frame rail to the other ( over the gas tank) has 2 drain holes at the bottom of each end on the HD trucks. Ill take a pic tonight when i also take a pic of the spray gun settup i used.

This thread rocks.
Really? There's drain holes on the HD frames??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Warning Warning Warning

Don't tell anyone you are doing this to your truck! I have a line of damn folks wanting me to do this for them. Wife, Wife's sister, Wife's sisters boy friend and so on. I doubt I will be doing anything but spraying fluid film for the entire damn winter. I'm not joking, don't tell anyone you are doing this stuff unless you don't mind doing it for the entire familia.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Warning Warning Warning

Don't tell anyone you are doing this to your truck! I have a line of damn folks wanting me to do this for them. Wife, Wife's sister, Wife's sisters boy friend and so on. I doubt I will be doing anything but spraying fluid film for the entire damn winter. I'm not joking, don't tell anyone you are doing this stuff unless you don't mind doing it for the entire familia.
Too late for me. Already done my dad's Pathfinder and my father in laws Frontier lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nobody has ramps, and nobody wants to get under there even if they did. Take a guy like me who don't mind living in grease, well there ya go. I guess it is our role in life, to do the dirty stuff. Actually FF smells so good I don't have mind just to get some good wif's in. I'm sure this could be a little good side biz, I'm totally sorry I didn't get into this when I had a detailing business. I believe this could have saved that business. The hardest thing to do it get return business, something like this could get people in every winter and follow up with a summer detail.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too late for me. Already done my dad's Pathfinder and my father in laws Frontier lol

The Frontier my RAM replaced was when I found Fluid Film. It was too late for the original bed, and even the replacement bed needed some help, but the FF I applied 1.5 years ago is still caked onto the underside of the replacement bed.

Worked damn well as far as Im concerned!

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nobody has ramps, and nobody wants to get under there even if they did. Take a guy like me who don't mind living in grease, well there ya go. I guess it is our role in life, to do the dirty stuff. Actually FF smells so good I don't have mind just to get some good wif's in. I'm sure this could be a little good side biz, I'm totally sorry I didn't get into this when I had a detailing business. I believe this could have saved that business. The hardest thing to do it get return business, something like this could get people in every winter and follow up with a summer detail.
Yeah there's actually a guy 5 miles from me that does this officially through Fluid Film but charges $160 for "large trucks". For $160 I got everything I need to do it many times myself. Plus no one is going to do a more thorough job than you. But I'm sure he makes some money doing it for people who wouldn't want to crawl under their vehicles and get greasy.