How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

TheYeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey Everyone. i pretty new here....

I order a radio because one became available out of nowhere. and i think i might have ordered the wrong one. i have a 2013 ram 2500. My radio is from a 2019 ram 1500. its the 8.4 uconnect. and everything works on it, which is amazin. except...... i don't have a climate control icon on the screen anywhere. can anyone help me? is there an update that i need to look for for the head unit? or is the entire wrong unit...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
What's the pn on the radio?
Is it from a 4th gen classic truck or an "All New" 5th gen 1500?

What was the original radio in your 13 ram 2500...
Did you do the 8.4 conversion?
If so, what parts did you use/how did you do it?

M² Mods.

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone seen or heard anything about the Uconnect 5 radios and whether or not they will be able to be retrofitted for 4th gens? I've been dying to get a carplay compatible radio but I've been holding off for the newest ones with wireless carplay

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hey Everyone. i pretty new here....

I order a radio because one became available out of nowhere. and i think i might have ordered the wrong one. i have a 2013 ram 2500. My radio is from a 2019 ram 1500. its the 8.4 uconnect. and everything works on it, which is amazin. except...... i don't have a climate control icon on the screen anywhere. can anyone help me? is there an update that i need to look for for the head unit? or is the entire wrong unit...

Also how long has it been in the truck? I think the radio needs time to read the BCM to know what your truck has before some of the controls show up. I'm pretty sure when I first hooked mine up it was missing a lot of functions. Next day they were all there.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anyone seen or heard anything about the Uconnect 5 radios and whether or not they will be able to be retrofitted for 4th gens? I've been dying to get a carplay compatible radio but I've been holding off for the newest ones with wireless carplay
Just watched this today...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

To my knowledge uConnect 5 won’t be available in Rams until 2022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
To my knowledge uConnect 5 won’t be available in Rams until 2022

Then here's to hoping for a 2022 classic!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone figured out the Ram 2018 USB Hub backlight? I read on this thread that it does not work. On mine I noticed that the backlight works when the USB cable is unplugged, I’m wondering if the harness required to connect the 2018 USB hub is bringing power when it shouldn’t?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Has anyone figured out the Ram 2018 USB Hub backlight? I read on this thread that it does not work. On mine I noticed that the backlight works when the USB cable is unplugged, I’m wondering if the harness required to connect the 2018 USB hub is bringing power when it shouldn’t?

There isn't a nearby Pnl Lamps Driver signal anywhere in the 13-17 jumpseat/console to get the required signal into the new 8pin 2018 hub connector (pin 2, which is empty on the adapter harness)...
... The closest consistent spot it can be found is the trailer brake switch connector (pin 8), but then you also have to figure out how to get one wire down through the hinge, up to the dash area to make the splice. (See also this related post 40 about 2018 Console Lid swap in CircuitGuy's thread.)

M² Mods.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The yeti. If its a delphi radio out of a new body style truck it will not have ac controls on the screen.the new trucks have two available 8.4 radios.the one with nav is two pieces a screen and separate unit.the other is one piece like the older radios but is only available with manual hvac controls and therfore no controls on the screen.was disappointing to find this out when I bought a 2019 new body style big horn.i tried one of these radios in my 18 and thought it was missing some functions but come to find out they weren't even on the radio in a new body style truck.the Delphi could be a nice chip car play upgrade in a non 8.4 truck if used with infotainments manual control update bezel possibly.i think everything else worked when I installed it on my 18 just can't confirm for sure.if infotainment start selling a 2000 dollar kit with a uam iam going to be pissed.you can get the uams mint used for under 500.00.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There isn't a nearby Pnl Lamps Driver signal anywhere in the 13-17 jumpseat/console to get the required signal into the new 8pin 2018 hub connector (pin 2, which is empty on the adapter harness)...
... The closest consistent spot it can be found is the trailer brake switch connector (pin 8), but then you also have to figure out how to get one wire down through the hinge, up to the dash area to make the splice. (See also this related post 40 about 2018 Console Lid swap in CircuitGuy's thread.)

M² Mods.

I’m missing something here... the backlight on my 2018 USB Hub works when only the big connector (AUX harness) is connected, as soon as I connect the USB cable the backlight turns off so it seems the AUX harness is supplying power to the USB hub backlight. Why is it when I connect the USB cable the backlight shuts off?

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had any issues updating their UAQ?
I'm nervous to try updating the software on it to 22.6.
The head unit works fine right now, although it can be a little laggy sometimes.

I'm just nervous of fixing something that isn't broken. Especially considering I have a Canadian truck with a Canadian Radio.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The head unit works fine right now, although it can be a little laggy sometimes.

I'm just nervous of fixing something that isn't broken. Especially considering I have a Canadian truck with a Canadian Radio.

Did my UCQ to 22.6 no issues.

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alright so I’ve been looking through the thread and read at least 50% of it. I think I’ve figured out what all I need to do the swap; I’ve ordered the hub, conversion harness, harness to get the soft keys working for heated/cooled seated and heated steering wheel from infotainment but I still need to find the radio.
I’ve got a 2014 2500 that came with the RA4 and 7 speed ATC...would I need anything else or am I just missing the radio?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

If it ain't broke, don fix it. Doing so usually ends in "Fixing it until it is broken".

Charles Koffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Completed my swap on 2019 1500 Classic Express quad, started with the 5" screen, 7 speed fan, SXM, backup camera and bluetooth. Thanks to MPGRIMM2 for all the help and building the needed harness. So first off I though I was being smart I bought a head unit from a 2019 new style big horn the UAM non nav made by Delphi, plugged it in and has some functionality but here is what did not work, backup camera, Apple carplay or Android auto and the climate control was a bit funky. So after some discussion with MPGRIMM2 realized I needed the UAQ or UAS as I have the classic which seems to retain everything from 2018 including BCM etc. These are the parts I used and everything works great, 30 min start to finish. I did not need a new hub as this is a 2019 and it had the updated version. No programming needed with AlphOBD. You may need the 911 stub depending on what you start with.

68366552AA A/C & Heater Module
1UJ96DX9AE
TEMP W/CONTROL PANEL
A/C & Heater Module Conversion harness single zone manual supplied by MPGRIMM2