How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snipermaven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone I have a 2013 Ram 2500 that came factory with the 8.4 vp4 radio with dual climate control and heated/vented seats . I upgraded to a UAS radio got the conversion harness from infotainment to get the heated/vented seats to work I also upgraded the hvac module to P/N 68366553AA and I still don’t have full control of my climate controls. I’ll be on the lowest ac setting and when I press the hot button once it jumps to hi it will not display the temperature just says hi or low. Does anyone know of a fix for this. I also have a video of the issue as well.
I have this same problem. I installed the UAS and harnesses and everything works except the temperature. I only have HI and LO. Mine is a 2013 Ram 2500 Longhorn. Dual ATC with 7 speed fan. I also upgraded the HVAC module and it did not help.

I’m at a loss.

Leveil22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m have two units both have different issues one is out of a 23 all my temp settings are metric and rear camera the other is out of a 18 and it is not working with my auto hvac system only gives me high and low for temperature control

What do I need to fix these issues

13 longhorn

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
For those having issues...

* If you did an 8.4 upgrade/HVAC conversion from a smaller radio, please list how you did so/actual parts with PNs/ and where you got the harness set/upgrade kit from?? (It wasn't me)

Such as:

What year is the truck?
1500?
4th Gen?

Factory HVAC Fan Speed: (4 or 7)

what radio you originally had?
(ie RA2 5.0” radio with Phone/VR button & Mics on Mirror / headliner for handsfree calling? Satellite Radio WITH Roof Antenna?? )

Factory installed 8.4 Radio with Dual Zone ATC?

What year/model 8.4 radio you plan to use?
(13-17 Ra3/Ra4 or 18 UAS/UAQ... Actual PNs please),

Do you have a Backup Camera/Cargo Cam? (Where do they display?)

Note:
I don't generally provide much assistance, if any, for competitors products (& not privately). Ref: here & here

Last edited:

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m have two units both have different issues one is out of a 23 all my temp settings are metric and rear camera the other is out of a 18 and it is not working with my auto hvac system only gives me high and low for temperature control

What do I need to fix these issues

13 longhorn
My guess is the metric one came from Canadian truck and other one I think you need a HVAC conversion since the newer radios aren't directly compatible with older HVAC system. Think you just need a harness, but not 100% sure. I also converted mine to auto temp control which meant installing new module behind glove box, new sun sensor which is on the dash and temp/humidity sensor which goes behind the panel under steering wheel. Super easy install if you get a full kit with everything or check for part numbers and order everything individually. Somewhere in this thread it lists what is needed. Or maybe it's in a HVAC thread on here.

JEFFREY W WHEALEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'm looking to do this upgrade to get Android Auto in my 2016 Laramie. I have Nav, SiriusXM, and the 8.4" Uconnect.

Can I buy a UAS headunit to throw in this truck and keep the SiriusXM? I don't want to use the app in android or iphone, I want to use to the built in tuner for SiriusXM.

silvrzuki77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, just wanted to say I finished my 8.4 UAS radio from a 19 into my 18 2500. I used Mpgrimm2 wiring harness and it was such a smooth process!!!! Mike made it simple and was super helpful if I had any questions! I did the 7 speed fan conversion and the single zone ATC. I was concerned at first because of my engine tune, but got lucky and everything is working as it supposed to! Super stoked for his product!

MGD81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Have an interesting one for the hvac experts on here.

I put a UAQ from a 20 Compass into my 17 2500 bighorn a couple of months ago, everything has been working great apart from the odd "device not supported" message.

Last week while driving through salt lake it was 101f outside and started to get really hot in the cab. Fans were on full blast but no air was coming out of the vents. What very little air was coming out was cold, so I know the AC system was still working. I turned the HVAC off and drove with the windows down for about ten minutes, then turned it back to auto and everything started working fine again.

Any ideas?

kev73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For the 2018 model year RAMS, the 8.4 Radios were changed from the previous VP3/VP4 Harman radios to the 4C/4C-Nav radios made by Panasonic. The biggest advantage of these new 4C Radios is the support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The radios themselves fit the same mount as 2013-2017 RAMS and the radios require no special programming to work. They read the BCM of the truck just like the VP3s/VP4s. However there are some known issues and components that need to be changed to make it work 100%.

Thanks to MPGRIMM2, RICKS RAM, 00R/T, and STDECO for volunteering to test these radios in their trucks. As a result, we have had them working in a 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 trucks. We have tested seats, backup cameras, cargo cameras, android auto, apple car play, and most of the radio's standard functionality in these models.

View attachment 397333

There are two distinct versions of the radio. The 4C (Sales Code: UAS) and the 4C-Nav (Sales Code: UAQ). The only difference between the radios is that the UAS does not have built in navigation and the UAQ does. Both units support CarPlay and Android Auto. However, unlike the previous VP3 radios, Built in navigation cannot be purchased and added to the 4C radio.

Components Needed

RADIO: 68331631AH (UAQ) or 68331635AH (UAS)
MEDIA HUB: 68328704AC (RAM) or 5XG28DX9AC (Compass)
MEDIA HUB CONVERSION HARNESS

RADIO
It is important that you get a radio that has the correct mount as the mount is now forged as part of the radio housing. Even though a radio out of an 18 Charger/300/Durango/etc will technically function the same as the RAM radio, the mount will not fit the RAM. Can these radios be modified to fit in a RAM.. Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend it. I broke a screen trying to transplant a UAQ radio into an existing VP4 mount.

It is also important that you get a MY18 radio. All MY18 radio part numbers start with 683.... The RAM themes are only available on MY18 year radios and the firmware must be at least version 18. There is a round colored dot on the top of each radio that has a number in it that reflects the firmware version that the radio had on it when it shipped from the factory. Anything less than 18.7 may have functional problems. It is possible to upgrade radios with older versions of software (I have upgraded to 18.14 all the way from 15.5 on one radio) but I also had one fail the upgrade process. Be wary of "AA" revision radios as they are really a crapshoot of what you are actually going to get.

As of now the radio can be purchased brand new from FCA. The cost is around $1200 for the UAQ, and about $100 for the hub.

View attachment 397334

View attachment 397335

MEDIA HUB

The media hubs in pre 2018 RAMs will not work with the 2018 Radios. Unfortunately RAM changed the form factor of the media hub in the 2018 RAM Trucks. The 2018 hubs are oblong in shape compared to the square 2013 - 2017 hubs. The closest compatible hub that will fit the existing opening is the compass hub. It is not an exact fit, but it generally fits. Changing the hub in a center console truck is easier than changing it in a jumpseat equipped truck.

2018 RAM HUB

View attachment 397336

View attachment 397337

The connector on the rear of the media hub is also different, so a conversion harness will need to be built to adapt the current 6 pin connector to the 8 pin on the new hubs.

View attachment 397338

View attachment 397339

Jump Seat Insert Replacement
Trucks that have a jump seat can order part number 68376066AA which is the insert with the correct cutout for the 18 RAM USB Hub. The cost is around $95. MPGrimm2 has recorded several videos showing how to change the insert.

See his full post here: Jump Seat Insert Replacement.

Known Issues

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats and Heated Wheel will not work on 2013 and 2014 trucks (They will be on the screen but will be grayed out).

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats will be missing on trucks that added factory heated/vented seats.

Settings menu may not reflect correct setting options on 2013 trucks.

Backup Camera button may be missing on 2016 and 2017 trucks. (Camera will work when in reverse, button on radio is missing).

There is no way to factory reset a radio.
is part number 68331631ah the only one that will work for the swap i see some on ebay with part number 68331631aj

critter_2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
So I’m guessing that it’s safe to assume that if I see an 8.4 listed on eBay that supposedly came out of a 2019 Ram but has a part number that starts with 682 that they stuck an older radio into the 2019 bezel unit?
Hey! Did you ever get an answer to this or try it? I have the option of getting from a 2019 Jeep Cherokee
68289297AF build date June 2018
Or from a 2023 Jeep Renegade
6861518 (can’t see the rest) and date code is 0662 (can’t see the date on the bottom of the sticker)

Any insight from anyone? Thanks!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
is part number 68331631ah the only one that will work for the swap i see some on ebay with part number 68331631aj
Last 2 letters don't matter (generally) with Mopar PNs...

Post # 3881 - Good Info on 4th Gen Ram Panasonic 4c Internal Hardware PNs vs Mopar PNs

Sultan

Reaction score
Adding Some Notes here ....

Post # 3881 - Good Info on 4th Gen Ram Panasonic 4c Internal Hardware PNs vs Mopar PNs

---- UAQ/UAS 4c Upgrade /BuCam issue on Manual Trans G56 trucks ----

------------ Panasonic 4th Gen 4C Delamination notes ------

Get a new (LA084X01 SL03) Screen/Digitizer assembly (definitely not an SL01 version… SL02 maybe) ~ $400 -$500 and replace it yourself
…. Or send it off to United Radio (Peachtree GA) recommendedor NavRepair (FL)

DavicArm_0 (C&H Car Stereo)
is reputable << VIDEO >> How to Fix Delaminating OR Bubbles 8.4" U-connect VP3 VP4 LCD MONITOR Touch-Screen Radio Navigation

Reference’s to help

>> @SitKneelBend is a great resource for help replacing the screen and gave me pointers. I donated my old screen to him to play with trying different ways to repair it. If you can, please do the same.

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio POST 3051

>> He recommends replacing the original Thermal Pads while you’re in there, I did (Arctic Thermal Pad 145 x 145 x 1.5 mm - Silicone Based Thermal Pad).

>>> Some of my posts 8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating Post 209 and Post 223 -232 about it.

Also recommend this...
Amazon.com: 2X BROTECT Matte Screen Protector for Uconnect 8.4 (Ram 1500/2500 / 3500 / Chassis Cab), Matte, Anti-Glare, Anti-Scratch: GPS & Navigation
www.amazon.com

Other Info

RamForum - UAQ/UAS Digitizer Replacement Steps

YouTube - 2017 2018 HOW TO REPLACE Replacement 8.4" Uconnect 4C UAQ LCD MONITOR Touch-Screen Radio Navigation

You Tube – (Factory Radio Parts) - How to disassemble and repair the Uconnect 4 & 4C 8.4 Inch Touchscreen UAS & UAQ Panasonic Radio
Hello dear,
Do you have update for this
uconnect 8.4 UJQ Navi
Version No: IR 21.9
Radio part number: 68396536AB

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hello dear,
Do you have update for this
uconnect 8.4 UJQ Navi
Version No: IR 21.9
Radio part number: 68396536AB
I only have USA and a few Canadian FW updates....

I would like to know what the Panasonic internal hardware part number is for your radio part number in Saudi ??

ie: CN-SC2xxxxx (or similar)

** Internal HW PN is available via radio info screen in the 'Dealer Menu' ...

>> With Key in RUN, press and hold all 3 for 5-10 secs ( or bottom corners of radio screen)
... TEMP UP + TEMP DWN + FRONT DEFROST
( use driver side Temp buttons on dual zone)

Sultan

Reaction score
I only have USA and a few Canadian FW updates....

I would like to know what the Panasonic internal hardware part number is for your radio part number in Saudi ??

ie: CN-SC2xxxxx (or similar)

** Internal HW PN is available via radio info screen in the 'Dealer Menu' ...

>> With Key in RUN, press and hold all 3 for 5-10 secs ( or bottom corners of radio screen)
... TEMP UP + TEMP DWN + FRONT DEFROST
( use driver side Temp buttons on dual zone)
this is the info

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-24 at 15.14.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-24 at 15.14.58.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 8

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
this is the info
Thanks.
CN-SC M7 Z0FL

Looks like the ' Z ' = rest of the world (vs USA) based on your application version which is on v21.9.x.

So it looks like that's a 2017/18 Chrysler/Challenger/Charger 4C Nav Radio.

I'm now sure where you should reach out about sw updates... Maybe CustomTronix would know? (@Jimmy07 ?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byteme