How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So what your saying is I just gotta want it more lol I'll try again when the weather gets up over 25 degrees.
If you use a plastic trim removal tool it will pop right off but I understand not wanting to get this done in the cold...I too have no garage.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you use a plastic trim removal tool it will pop right off but I understand not wanting to get this done in the cold...I too have no garage.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yea using my plastic pry tool helped a bunch, here's the part number:

k9xvDn6OFIZo6WLtUfE01lxzYDE9lHdeQzdd92EzhGjw=w2400.jpg

Also it's Revision A

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.4 back.JPG

So I added the new 2018 8.4 with Navigation into my 2017 1500, over the Christmas. MPGrimm wanted me to let you guys and girls know how it went. It was a very easy install and I have had zero issues with the radio. Sound and functionality throughout is great, with no glitches. The only thing I haven't gotten absolutely perfect yet is the ATC but that is because I am still lacking the humidity sensor. The radio is a 22.5 which MPGrimm said was the latest upgrade. I was able to call and get my Sirius XM working first night and they gave me another two months free. The radio was brand new and MPGrimm made the conversion harness. It was extremely well made and he really was good about answering questions. I have had quite a few! I also did the Speedometer upgrade which is worth every penny spent. It took all of 15 minutes to install. Over all the biggest thing I have learned through the upgrades is; that even though the body styles are the same from 13-18 the wiring is not. So there are still limitations on what you can do. I purchased AlphaOBD and that has helped as well through out this process, its a small price to pay for what it does. If you guys and girls have any questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

dondre47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I’ve read this thread and now thinking of doing this mod but getting confused about the hvac system and backup camera. I have a 2016 1500 Laramie with 8.4 auto dual climate control... do I need anything other than the headunit, hub, and harness??

Also can anyone confirm the backup camera option is missing on the upgrade or if the quality of the camera is not as good as before?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok I’ve read this thread and now thinking of doing this mod but getting confused about the hvac system and backup camera. I have a 2016 1500 Laramie with 8.4 auto dual climate control... do I need anything other than the headunit, hub, and harness??

Also can anyone confirm the backup camera option is missing on the upgrade or if the quality of the camera is not as good as before?

@Mpgrimm2 at M2Mods can set you up with the harness and tell you whatever else you would need to do the conversion. As for the camera I have a UAQ conversion in my Express and in the daylight the camera image couldn't be better but in the dark of night here in the desert the image is a little grainy. I'm ordering LED backup bulbs to see if it's more of a lighting issue than a head unit characteristic at night.

I love my UAQ!!!!!

dondre47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Mpgrimm2 at M2Mods can set you up with the harness and tell you whatever else you would need to do the conversion. As for the camera I have a UAQ conversion in my Express and in the daylight the camera image couldn't be better but in the dark of night here in the desert the image is a little grainy. I'm ordering LED backup bulbs to see if it's more of a lighting issue than a head unit characteristic at night.

I love my UAQ!!!!!

Is the icon to turn the backup camera on as on option? For example while driving can you turn on the camera?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is the icon to turn the backup camera on as on option? For example while driving can you turn on the camera?

Yes, there is a camera button on the Apps screen. I went for a ride and hit the button while I was moving the camera came on and went off about 15 seconds later, it doesn't stay on all the time.

dondre47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, there is a camera button on the Apps screen. I went for a ride and hit the button while I was moving the camera came on and went off about 15 seconds later, it doesn't stay on all the time.

Awesome, that’s how it’s supposed to work. Thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 16 big Horn with the UAQ functions just as it did with my 8.4 before. My dual zone ATC, camera, etc... All as I'd hoped they would be. The ONLY functionality lost is that I can't add the subscription for app access from my phone... No big deal for me though. The only other thing I've noticed (barely) was that every now and then, my proximity sensors don't sound, but I haven't been able to recreate the conditions that cause that... It's just so random.

MTLKEBEK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The texture with 3D printing would look back in my opinion. I'm looking to have a sheet of PVC cut to size. I'll send pictures once it's done.

Here's an idea for anyone using the USB hub from the compass:
IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0596.jpg

The measurements I took using my caliper. Note, you'll require to make alterations to the USB hub and widen the original hub opening.
IMG_0504.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Also... For everyone's information, I installed my hub from a compass tonight and carplay works like a dream. "Apple carplay" even shows up in my gauge cluster where the music source is displayed. Really digging it, and to think I almost didn't do it. Shout out and huge thanks to MPGrimm for the cable.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I'm needing some help from the collective. My truck is a 2014 1500 Limited with the 8.4AN that works perfectly. I'm having the same issue with my second attempt at installing a UAQ radio. Both the UAQ radios I've installed boot up and runs for 45-60 seconds and then restart. I read about an update in February of 2018 that resulted in this exact same thing happening that was related to Travel Link. So I used AlfaOBD to change the SDAR Travel Link Feature Present: to NO. Still reboots. I disconnected the cellular antenna connector from the radio. Still reboots. I disconnected the USB hub (The new RAM dual USB with the Adapter cable from M2Mods). Still reboots. I haven't tried to disconnect the Sat/GPS antenna to see if that makes a difference. Sirius works, CarPlay works, HD FM Radio works, Paired with my phone just fine. Navigation starts loading, but it doesn't get loaded before the radio reboots. The radio has a purple sticker showing that it's a version 18.7. According the the UConnect website when I enter the VIN from the vehicle it came out of it's up to date. Anyone have suggestions?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So I'm needing some help from the collective. My truck is a 2014 1500 Limited with the 8.4AN that works perfectly. I'm having the same issue with my second attempt at installing a UAQ radio. Both the UAQ radios I've installed boot up and runs for 45-60 seconds and then restart. I read about an update in February of 2018 that resulted in this exact same thing happening that was related to Travel Link. So I used AlfaOBD to change the SDAR Travel Link Feature Present: to NO. Still reboots. I disconnected the cellular antenna connector from the radio. Still reboots. I disconnected the USB hub (The new RAM dual USB with the Adapter cable from M2Mods). Still reboots. I haven't tried to disconnect the Sat/GPS antenna to see if that makes a difference. Sirius works, CarPlay works, HD FM Radio works, Paired with my phone just fine. Navigation starts loading, but it doesn't get loaded before the radio reboots. The radio has a purple sticker showing that it's a version 18.7. According the the UConnect website when I enter the VIN from the vehicle it came out of it's up to date. Anyone have suggestions?
Go into dealer mode and tell us what the application version is (not fw version).

(Driver side) hot +cold + front Defrost for 6-10secs

The UAx will likely need to be on application version 18.14 or higher.

What is the PN of the radio?
( 68331631Ax ? (UAQ) )

M² Mods.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Go into dealer mode and tell us what the application version is (not fw version).

(Driver side) hot +cold + front Defrost for 6-10secs

The UAx will likely need to be on application version 18.14 or higher.

What is the PN of the radio?
( 68331631Ax ? (UAQ) )

M² Mods.

So I think this might shed some light on the issue:
6f31c9151ab6bef493416bab92446a68.jpg
ceb7f9c78d6a85adddb74b6452514300.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yeah. That's a bit off from what you need.

2017 Compass UAQ radio (Canadian SW).caf097034c0a13a1a9acbbb06f5c6d29.jpg

M² Mods.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah. That's a bit off from what you need.

So is the issue that it’s a Canadian radio or that it’s out of a Compass or both? I picked it up cheap so I’m pretty sure that I can get my money back out of it. Not sure how to tell from VIN when a car is Canadian vs US.

Crazy thing is that I had the same rebooting issue with this radio too:
84c273472156d0ad7af008390a061c29.jpg

Between this and my cargo camera install I’m getting my ass kicked.