How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearhead383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the exact same truck and had NO issues making the jump to the new head unit. Just waiting on the new media hub and cable to use Apple car play, but the head unit was plug and play. Took me all of about 15 to tear the dash apart, install, and button things back up. I had serious reservations before I did it, but I purchased the radio from a vendor on eBay who agreed to give me a refund if it didn't work to my likings. So glad I did it because I was seriously considering trading in on the new 2500 when it gets released. I was just so disappointed that many other car makers were able to get this type of functionality on their late model systems, and really let FCA hear about my discontent with their short sided planning. Now I'll likely keep the truck for many years to come.
Sounds like we were in the same boat. So basically, all you needed was the head unit, media hub and adapter cable? Any functionality loss like the heated seats/steering wheel or HVAC controls? And how does the backup camera quality look? Sorry for so many questions, but with the cost of this upgrade I want to make sure I've covered all bases before I pull the trigger.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sounds like we were in the same boat. So basically, all you needed was the head unit, media hub and adapter cable? Any functionality loss like the heated seats/steering wheel or HVAC controls? And how does the backup camera quality look? Sorry for so many questions, but with the cost of this upgrade I want to make sure I've covered all bases before I pull the trigger.
Thanks!

Everything functions just as it did before, and I've had no issues with my backup camera.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks!

I would suggest purchasing the head unit from someone willing to give a refund if it doesn't function properly. You may eat shipping costs if you have to return it, but at least you have peace of mind.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just wanted to report that I installed a brand new 2018 UAQ in my 2015 Big Horn with Dual Zone auto Climate about a month ago, I finally got a chance to check on my climate control mixer. My truck does not need the 2018 climate control module, when the temperature is set at 70 and the ambient temperature is about 40 degrees, the mixer door goes all the way up to give me full heat, and if i force the temperature down to "LO" it goes down to full cold. That being said I'm gonna have a brand new in box 2018 Climate control module up for sale very soon once i get some pics.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks!
What year and model/trim/radio is your truck?

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just wanted to report that I installed a brand new 2018 UAQ in my 2015 Big Horn with Dual Zone auto Climate about a month ago, I finally got a chance to check on my climate control mixer. My truck does not need the 2018 climate control module, when the temperature set at 70 and the ambient temperature about 40 degrees, the mixer door goes all the way to give me full heat, and if i force the temperature down to "LO" it goes to full cold. That being said I'm gonna have a brand new in box 2018 Climate control module up for sale very soon once i get some pics.
A few questions:
Can you pop off the right side dash panel and tell us what PN your factory HVAC module is?

Do you have a 2015 1500 or 2500?

What "application version" is on the 18 UAQ you have? (18.14 , 19.9, 21.9, or 22.5)
-->on driver side press (hot)+(cold)+(front Defrost) for 6secs to get to dealer menu.

M² Mods.

Gearhead383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would suggest purchasing the head unit from someone willing to give a refund if it doesn't function properly. You may eat shipping costs if you have to return it, but at least you have peace of mind.
Great suggestion. I don't mind eating the additional shipping cost... good piece of insurance. Was yours out of a 2018 Ram?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Great suggestion. I don't mind eating the additional shipping cost... good piece of insurance. Was yours out of a 2018 Ram?

Yes, but it came from some sort of Jeep that had the same mounting pattern as my Ram because it lined right up.

I only know it was a Jeep because it flashed Jeep on the head unit when I first put power to it. It kind of freaked me out at first, but after the first power cycle, everything changed to Ram, and I had all of the features available on my truck at my fingertips again.

Gearhead383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What year and model/trim/radio is your truck?

M² Mods.
It's a 2016 Bighorn 2500 Crew Cab 6.4 Hemi. It has the Luxury Group option with the Uconnect 8.4 (RA3). I'll add that is has the front row jump seat; not the big center console.

MTLKEBEK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was there someone that 3D printed a filler panel for the compass media hub to go into the full length consoles of pre-2017 models? I'm leaning towards the compass hub to avoid chopping up my console.

The texture with 3D printing would look back in my opinion. I'm looking to have a sheet of PVC cut to size. I'll send pictures once it's done.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The texture with 3D printing would look back in my opinion. I'm looking to have a sheet of PVC cut to size. I'll send pictures once it's done.
It depends on the quality of the printer. Small DIY (cheap) might not leave as nice a finish as a more expense one with filer resolution. But the part can be easily filled and painted.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So... Having the UAQ for almost a week now, I've noticed the two following features missing:

1) No Uconnect or SiriusGuardian. I think it could be possible if the actual Vin could ever be officially associated with the new UAQ. When I called, Uconnect ignorantly insisted that the subscription had absolutely nothing to do with the installed head unit. I would have argued more, but my rep answered the phone with an attitude. No big deal because I didn't renew Uconnect after the first year.

2) No Sirius traffic. This one is a mystery. I've called Sirius and they are setting that radio, travel link, add traffic are all under active subscription. However, Sirius setup is showing no subscription for traffic. I've done two signal refreshed and radio resets... No dice. Also not a big deal because I plan to rely on Waze for traffic when I need it.

All in all, I can live with what I'm losing because of what I'm gaining.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So... Having the UAQ for almost a week now, I've noticed the two following features missing:

1) No Uconnect or SiriusGuardian. I think it could be possible if the actual Vin could ever be officially associated with the new UAQ. When I called, Uconnect ignorantly insisted that the subscription had absolutely nothing to do with the installed head unit. I would have argued more, but my rep answered the phone with an attitude. No big deal because I didn't renew Uconnect after the first year.

2) No Sirius traffic. This one is a mystery. I've called Sirius and they are setting that radio, travel link, add traffic are all under active subscription. However, Sirius setup is showing no subscription for traffic. I've done two signal refreshed and radio resets... No dice. Also not a big deal because I plan to rely on Waze for traffic when I need it.

All in all, I can live with what I'm losing because of what I'm gaining.

Even with my connections at FCA I’m still trying to get my uconnect to work with the new radio. It’s very difficult to get it working through FCA

You have to enable sirius travel link with AlphaOBD. It’s not a default setting in the UAx as it was in Ra3/4. The new UAx radios read it from the BCM. You have to turn it on in the BCM for it to show on the UAx radios

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Even with my connections at FCA I’m still trying to get my uconnect to work with the new radio. It’s very difficult to get it working through FCA

You have to enable sirius travel link with AlphaOBD. It’s not a default setting in the UAx as it was in Ra3/4. The new UAx radios read it from the BCM. You have to turn it on in the BCM for it to show on the UAx radios

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

Thanks!!! I'll hook it up and give it a go. That just leaves the Uconnect piece. Keep us posted on the traction you make with FCA. FCA should absolutely support this for owners willing to spend the money as it gives them an easy answer, and way out, for owners who complain about their lack of support for prior year models.

SirWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just figured i'd drop off my 2c as I was the first one to put one of these radios in a ram. The heated seat issue carries over to 15 also, not just 13-14s. The Durango Mount with a 30 second cut with a dremel will mount up fine using 2 screws in a ram. 2017 radios can be converted into 2018 radios. I have 3D printed adapters to use the 2018 Hub in a 13-17 lid with slight dremeling but will fit and look mostly stock.

Uh, what do you mean by 2017 radios can be converted to 2018 radios? I have a 2017 1500 Laramie with 8.4 with Nav. I really want Android Auto. Heck keeping Nav is not a requirement if I have Android Auto as that has Nav capability through the phone. Trying to figure out what my best options are. I'd like to not loose any features like my heated cooled seats, my backup camera, and so on. This thread is at 82 pages, and if this was addressed later in the thread sorry but reading 82 pages looking for that one nugget is a lot to read through.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You’ll have to change the radio...no away around that if you want android auto/apple CarPlay that functions with the touchscreen. I put the 4C in my 2016 and had no issues at all, and didn’t loose any functionality, except the ability to remote in from my phone to lock/unlock/start. That wasn’t a big loss for me since I never renewed after the trial expired.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to report that I installed a brand new 2018 UAQ in my 2015 Big Horn with Dual Zone auto Climate about a month ago, I finally got a chance to check on my climate control mixer. My truck does not need the 2018 climate control module, when the temperature is set at 70 and the ambient temperature is about 40 degrees, the mixer door goes all the way up to give me full heat, and if i force the temperature down to "LO" it goes down to full cold. That being said I'm gonna have a brand new in box 2018 Climate control module up for sale very soon once i get some pics.

What are we looking for to see if this works? I have an 18 UAQ in my 16 2500. The fan goes to 7, however, I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me, or it doesn't seem to blow like it did before the swap. I've had this since I believe September. Is there a way to tell? Thanks

*** Disregard, found what I need to look for searching.

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A few questions:
Can you pop off the right side dash panel and tell us what PN your factory HVAC module is?

Do you have a 2015 1500 or 2500?

What "application version" is on the 18 UAQ you have? (18.14 , 19.9, 21.9, or 22.5)
-->on driver side press (hot)+(cold)+(front Defrost) for 6secs to get to dealer menu.

M² Mods.

Been busy but I tried to pop the side panel off to get that part number for you but it refused to pop off. Full disclosure I didn't try very hard because when I tried it was dark out and freezing cold, is there a plastic rivet or screw I'm missing somewhere to get this thing off?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Been busy but I tried to pop the side panel off to get that part number for you but it refused to pop off. Full disclosure I didn't try very hard because when I tried it was dark out and freezing cold, is there a plastic rivet or screw I'm missing somewhere to get this thing off?
Nope, just tension clips...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk