How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So if anyone has an extra UAQ available or know where I can get a decent deal on one shoot me pm. I’m in the market to upgrade.
@Gibbs has one for sale right now

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well, I took the plunge. I had bought a UAQ on eBay at a really great price, but after reading all off the troubles, I decided against installing it, and even arranged for a refund with the buyer. Tonight, I just couldn't help to see what would and wouldn't work.

My truck is a 2016 2500 Big Horn with the 8.4 Nav, and dual zone AC. The install was a breeze, but I panicked a little when under power, Jeep splashed on the screen and I couldn't see my seat heaters. I cycled power and voila... EVERYTHING works, to include the HVAC controls. I called Sirius and they transferred my travel link and music subscriptions over.

All that is left to do is pickup the hub and cable.

After reading everybody's experiences, I truly think that as long as you are going from an 8.4, you won't have an issue. It seems that the problems creep in when you jump from the smaller head units.

So, who wants to sell me a hub to go in a full length center console? I'll be teaching out to Mpgrimm2 for the cable.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does anyone know where I can get a media hub compatible with the UAQ, that fits in my 2016 full length console?

Now that I have the radio, I'd love to use carplay.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Who is it here that has the standard cab that came from the factory with a UAQ / UAS? I'm pretty sure I remember @Mpgrimm2 mentioning it one time.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Was there someone that 3D printed a filler panel for the compass media hub to go into the full length consoles of pre-2017 models? I'm leaning towards the compass hub to avoid chopping up my console.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was there someone that 3D printed a filler panel for the compass media hub to go into the full length consoles of pre-2017 models? I'm leaning towards the compass hub to avoid chopping up my console.

I dunno but now that's awesome use for a 3D printer. Whomever it is would have lots of business if they stepped up. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah...I think they could have a helluva good thing going if they combined the hub, with the filler panel, and the cable sold by Mpgrimm2 into a nice little package deal.

When I first started this, I reached out to Infotainment and asked to buy the hub and cable. They told that they wouldn't sell just those parts, that I would have to buy the entire system. Glad I found this site and didn't...They almost got me:)

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Who is it here that has the standard cab that came from the factory with a UAQ / UAS? I'm pretty sure I remember @Mpgrimm2 mentioning it one time.

Mpgrimm2 asked me if I'd be willing to do one and I am (I've designed a couple of other 3D printed parts for our trucks) but I don't have a UAx radio, the appropriate hub or a full length center console so I need someone to provide me with access to the hub and console for detailed measurements. I had a person who was supposed to be loaning me a hub and providing measurements of the console opening, but it hasn't happened yet. If someone who lived relatively close, say, someone with Albany, NY in their profile location... :) , wanted to meet up and let me get measurements, we might be able to get something going.

-K

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When I first started this, I reached out to Infotainment and asked to buy the hub and cable. They told that they wouldn't sell just those parts, that I would have to buy the entire system. Glad I found this site and didn't...They almost got me:)

I had a similar issue with them. I wanted to buy everything in their tow mirror package except the mirrors themselves. Nope, wouldn't do it. Ended up buying everything piecemeal and saved over half what they charge. And if AlphaOBD had been around/known at the time, I could have saved another $200 by buying it and not a Genie. (Which didn't fully work anyways, it didn't set the tow mirror option. I didn't get that working until I got Alpha.)

-K

That reminds me, I need to see if that Genie is on their buy-back list...

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mpgrimm2 asked me if I'd be willing to do one and I am (I've designed a couple of other 3D printed parts for our trucks) but I don't have a UAx radio, the appropriate hub or a full length center console so I need someone to provide me with access to the hub and console for detailed measurements. I had a person who was supposed to be loaning me a hub and providing measurements of the console opening, but it hasn't happened yet. If someone who lived relatively close, say, someone with Albany, NY in their profile location... :) , wanted to meet up and let me get measurements, we might be able to get something going.

-K

PM sent

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah...I think they could have a helluva good thing going if they combined the hub, with the filler panel, and the cable sold by Mpgrimm2 into a nice little package deal.

They almost got me too.......... Before I found the Forum and M2Mods, I ordered a 2018 RA2 radio from Infotainment for $399, when it came it was a long back and wouldn't fit the inner dash. I called them and they told me to send it back for exchange and when they received it they said "well we don't have any of those now, you'll have to wait". I got a refund and when they had the correct radio they then priced it at $599, wtf. (the owner later agreed to honor the $399 price)

Long story short, I found the Ramforum, the wonderful people here and M2Mods being Mpgrimm2 and Deereguy and now for pennies on the Infotainment dollar have a UAQ radio.

And yes, when I asked Infotainment for individual items, like a UAS or UAQ with no hub (I have a 2018), I too was told "we don't split kits up"

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Seems like their loss. I'm sure they get people on the hook that do little research; however, they could really appeal to the DIY'er here by boxing build your own kits. Not every truck is the same, and not every truck owner has the same skill set as the next...as quite evident by the great feedback on this forum.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like their loss. I'm sure they get people on the hook that do little research; however, they could really appeal to the DIY'er here by boxing build your own kits. Not every truck is the same, and not every truck owner has the same skill set as the next...as quite evident by the great feedback on this forum.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@mjf6175 (Mike F.) has a 2017 RC 3500 Big Horn with factory RA3 & upgraded radio to...?

-K
If mjf6175 (Mike F.) has a UAx radio, he is up there in NY (can't remember where).

M² Mods.

Gearhead383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well it took most of the afternoon to read these 80 pages and I must say I am intrigued about this radio upgrade. It seems the issues I am most concerned about is the poor backup camera quality and the uncertainty of which HVAC module to use. Neither that big of a deal, but does it offset the ability to have Android Auto? That's the struggle I'm having. My truck is a 2016 2500 Bighorn with 8.4 Uconnect w/o nav and dual climate control. I'll continue to "research" this upgrade hoping it will sway me one way or the other.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well it took most of the afternoon to read these 80 pages and I must say I am intrigued about this radio upgrade. It seems the issues I am most concerned about is the poor backup camera quality and the uncertainty of which HVAC module to use. Neither that big of a deal, but does it offset the ability to have Android Auto? That's the struggle I'm having. My truck is a 2016 2500 Bighorn with 8.4 Uconnect w/o nav and dual climate control. I'll continue to "research" this upgrade hoping it will sway me one way or the other.

Your factory Dual Zone ATC 8.4 truck may work fine with the HVAC module you already have. Setting the HVAC config for ATC seems to remedy the HVAC module mismatch issue on trucks that have run into the problem.

M² Mods.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I have the exact same truck and had NO issues making the jump to the new head unit. Just waiting on the new media hub and cable to use Apple car play, but the head unit was plug and play. Took me all of about 15 to tear the dash apart, install, and button things back up. I had serious reservations before I did it, but I purchased the radio from a vendor on eBay who agreed to give me a refund if it didn't work to my likings. So glad I did it because I was seriously considering trading in on the new 2500 when it gets released. I was just so disappointed that many other car makers were able to get this type of functionality on their late model systems, and really let FCA hear about my discontent with their short sided planning. Now I'll likely keep the truck for many years to come.