How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
This is definitely a first.

What is the pn of your UAx radio and what is the application version? (Dealer menu)

Do you have an AlfaOBD to verify associated BCM/camera features are ALL enabled? (Year/model of your truck?)

M² Mods.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With or without the add on harness I have no camera with the UAQ. Pop the RA4 in and zero issues works as it should.

Any thoughts that this might be related to my truck being a manual?

Here's what I see in reverse. Sonar display, back up lights on but zero camera.View attachment 154377

I'm just jealous of that radio lol [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This is definitely a first.

What is the pn of your UAx radio and what is the application version? (Dealer menu)

Do you have an AlfaOBD to verify associated BCM/camera features are ALL enabled? (Year/model of your truck?)

M² Mods.

Not sure on the PN and how do I get to the dealer menu on these ones? The ra4 I just held the hot/cold button but that doesn't seem to work for me.

I have AlfaOBD and already verified it was activated.

Disconnected batteries for a while and did the ground out the positive thing folks suggest for funky stuff and no change.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Press hot + cold + front defrost for 6 secs

Edit: PN is on the side of the radio... 6833xxxxAx

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Not pulling it back out tonight.

Think doing a hard reset would do it?

Info says phone and upper corner does a reset
I thought FCA removed that option for a reset ... Bit you can try it. Battery pull is only way now.

M² Mods.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I thought FCA removed that option for a reset ... Bit you can try it. Battery pull is only way now.

M² Mods.

It didn't work. I guess I'll just let it sleep overnight again and see what it does over the nest few days. It's strange some folks say it takes days for stuff to show up... I wonder if this is just one of those features.

Could it be any issue like the seats not working without the adapter? Meaning it's not getting the right signal it needs?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It didn't work. I guess I'll just let it sleep overnight again and see what it does over the nest few days. It's strange some folks say it takes days for stuff to show up... I wonder if this is just one of those features.

Could it be any issue like the seats not working without the adapter? Meaning it's not getting the right signal it needs?
IDK. May depend on your radio PN and application version. Not sure if your UAQ would have displayed the backup camera before hooking up the seat interface module or not. The seat module intercepts 2013-2014 CANbus messages to the radio and recodes then for compatibility with the 2018 radio. It may have affected something internally SW wise on the radio or or could just be a bad radio. May want to contact Infotainment/NavRepair (where you got the seat module from) and see what they say. I know if you don't have the SD card/extra USB ports show up on the radio, they have to program it directly into the radio (per their earlier info).

M² Mods.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
IDK. May depend on your radio PN and application version. Not sure if your UAQ would have displayed the backup camera before hooking up the seat interface module or not. The seat module intercepts 2013-2014 CANbus messages to the radio and recodes then for compatibility with the 2018 radio. It may have affected something internally SW wise on the radio or or could just be a bad radio. May want to contact Infotainment/NavRepair (where you got the seat module from) and see what they say. I know if you don't have the SD card/extra USB ports show up on the radio, they have to program it directly into the radio (per their earlier info).

M² Mods.

I got the radio from a dealer and installed the OEM tray and media center to keep it clean.

I just went into my AlfaOBD and disabled the rear camera. I'm going to let it sleep a bit and enable the camera again to see if that will force send the signal.

I guess I could yank the radio again and leave the harness in and see if the RA4 still displays the camera.

While I love the radio I am frustrated with this camera.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

M² Mods.

Also I hit up infotainment yesterday about the harness. Said I was the first one to report an issue like this and gave me some reset procedures(disconnect batteries stuff) and let it do its thing for 72 hours.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So it gets even weirder...

I enabled the camera again and also kicked on the cargo cam for *****/giggles and got the csm for the cargo cam... clicked on it and then selected the backup cam boom I can see the feed! So that's better... but still nothing when i go into reverse!

Something is screwy.
20190205_184258.jpg 20190205_184245.jpg

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I enabled the camera again and also kicked on the cargo cam for *****/giggles and got the csm for the cargo cam... clicked on it and then selected the backup cam boom I can see the feed! So that's better... but still nothing when i go into reverse!

Something is screwy.
View attachment 154453 View attachment 154454
I know this won't help but I have a suspicion that it has something to do with your truck being a manual.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know this won't help but I have a suspicion that it has something to do with your truck being a manual.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

I do too. Something tells me I'm going to be running a jumper wire to get whatever that missing trigger signal to apear.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I do too. Something tells me I'm going to be running a jumper wire to get whatever that missing trigger signal to apear.
It's all over the Canbus, no direct trigger. Maybe a setting in the BCM is missing that's needed for the later radio.
(Didn't know you had a manual transmission truck?).

You could also have the dealer reload the factory BCM configuration into your truck and start over without the seat module and see what happens.

M² Mods.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's all over the Canbus, no direct trigger. Maybe a setting in the BCM is missing that's needed for the later radio.

You could also have the dealer reload the factory BCM configuration into your truck and start over without the seat module and see what happens.

M² Mods.

I am going to scan through the AlfaOBD options and see if I see anything that could relate to that signal.

My truck doesn't go to dealers anymore. They screw up more than they fix.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

M² Mods.

Also since I am getting indications that the canbus sees/has the reverse signal(reverse lights, sonar activation) I need to figure out which pins on the radio harness is looking for the camera inputs (2 or 3 I assume).

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Also since I am getting indications that the canbus sees/has the reverse signal(reverse lights, sonar activation) I need to figure out which pins on the radio harness is looking for the camera inputs (2 or 3 I assume).

Backup camera pins:

31 - Video1-RVC Video 1 Input (Camera Signal)
32 - Video1-RVC Video 1 Input (Camera GND)
33 - Video1-RVC Video 1 Input (Camera Shield)

-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Something is screwy.
View attachment 154453 View attachment 154454

Loco I have to think that this is related to the manual transmission. I also have a 2016 3500 in a manual and just picked up a radio from a 2018 yesterday. I don't have the other parts yet but I did the install of the radio and am having the exact same problem as you. My reverse cam pops up on the cameras options but not when I put it in reverse.