How to: V6 Efan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The boost in MPG from any one item is going to be very small.
It's the combination of 3-4 mods that'll net you a 2 or 3 MPG increase.

And over a base of even 18 MPG, +3 MPG is over a 15% increase!

MeanSRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having some issue after the install......
2011 Ram R/T with the Amazon purchased TYC fan & Autozone (motorad) 180 thermostat, Trinity tuner to set fans at 190.

Install went smooth, but the nut was a challenge as others have said, but I did get it off after making a pulley holding tool from an adjustable slip-nut wrench with some bolts threaded into the jaws (worked well!) to hold it from turning.

After the install I filled the coolant overflow tank with about 3/4 gallon of coolant.

Then I started the truck to let it warm up to check for leaks....all is good to this point, with no leaks.

The fan came on at the new fan setting I programmed into the Trinity (190), but then the temp just kept on going up to 220.

I then shut it off & let it cool down as it was getting dark at that point.
I drove it to work the next morning about 20 mile & kept a close eye on the temp the whole trip (Stressful).

When sitting at stop lights the temp would go up to 230 (about 3/4 on dash gage) with the fan running strong. As I drove, it would cool down to about 210, but then would go back up to 230 when stopped at a light (fan never shut off).

Then I got on the highway and drove about 70 mph, the temp dropped all the way down to 179 in about 2 miles.

I then exited the highway & had to stop at another light & the temp went back up to 205 in about 2 minutes.

Then I drove for about a minute at 35 mph & the temp went back down again to 180.

At this point I made it to work, & as I was parking the temp was at 195 but rising again.

So obviously something is not working properly. It appears the thermostat is working or it wouldn't cool down like it does, so coolant is flowing. The fan turns on & off when it is supposed to, so that looks fine too.

I do feel some vibration in the seat when the fan kicks on....do others feel this?

Is there a air purge process for the coolant that needs to be done?

Should I have added coolant to the radiator instead of the coolant tank?

This has me scratching my head.....:wtf2:

Any ideas guys?

MeanSRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found the issue...all is good

Well after I got home I found out the root cause of my high temps.

I thought I had purchased the pre-mixed 50/50 coolant, but after further review, I grabbed the wrong jug. :doh2:

I put in almost a gallon of full strength anti-freeze & this didn't provide enough water to actually cool the engine when not moving.

So....I drained some off & added the water & now my temp only fluctuates between 178-185.

I like the Mod & think it will add to the reliability of the motor & also provide a small amount of power increase.

What I don't like is, I get a good amount of vibration that I can feel in the Steering wheel, Seat, Shift knob...etc. when the fan is running & I am sitting at a light.

I am going to try some rubber bushings or spacers on the fan attachment points to see if that will eliminate it.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Glad you found out what was going on with the temps. Post back if you find a fix for the vibration.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Cactuar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Express Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7L MDS VVT
Well after I got home I found out the root cause of my high temps.

I thought I had purchased the pre-mixed 50/50 coolant, but after further review, I grabbed the wrong jug. :doh2:

I put in almost a gallon of full strength anti-freeze & this didn't provide enough water to actually cool the engine when not moving.

So....I drained some off & added the water & now my temp only fluctuates between 178-185.

I like the Mod & think it will add to the reliability of the motor & also provide a small amount of power increase.

What I don't like is, I get a good amount of vibration that I can feel in the Steering wheel, Seat, Shift knob...etc. when the fan is running & I am sitting at a light.

I am going to try some rubber bushings or spacers on the fan attachment points to see if that will eliminate it.

Hmm. I installed the same Chrysler V-6 fan sold from Amazon, but I'm not getting any vibration when the fan cycles on. It actually seems quieter and smoother than when the clutch fan engages.

If you inspect the blades do you find any damage, or do they all seem to have the same curvature and length? Also I saw a warning label on my fan stating if you leave it lying down on its side that the bearing oil will leak out. When you unpacked the fan did you find any oil inside the plastic wrapper?

Just a few things to look at. Sorry to hear about your issues.

MeanSRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The blades all look to be uniform & in good shape. I didn't have that sticker on mine, but didn't notice any oil inside box or the fan when I opened to install. I may just order a replacement from Amazon since there customer support is so awesome. Since that Damn nut is off & clutch fan is removed, I should be able to swap a new fan in & compare in a matter of minutes, then return the other one within the 30 days Amazon gives me to return to first one.
Thanks for the heads up on the bearing oil, I will look at the next one close.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Anybody have actual CFM numbers on both the stock clutch fan and the V6 Efan conversion? Just wondering, looks super simple.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you everyone since my last posting that have used this DIY for installing your own fans and I'm really glad you all found it helpful.

As far as the vibrations go, I do get them myself but I think mine are pretty minor or I've just gotten so use to it that I don't really notice it. But I think they might be caused by the whole shroud sitting in it's brackets a little loose but nothing to really worry about unless the vibrations really bother you.

As for the CFM's...no idea but I'd say the efan blows the clutch fan out the water.

Oh and no I haven't done any towing.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
is there a quality issue with the amazon fans regarding the vibrations? or are they the same OEM fan you would get from the dealer?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is there a quality issue with the amazon fans regarding the vibrations? or are they the same OEM fan you would get from the dealer?
Mine has been great for over a year. It's not an OEM fan, but a replica replacement from TYC. The OEMs have a white fan blade and the TYCs have a black fan blade.

The vibrations are normal. The fan is directly bolted to the radiator which is bolted to the body of the truck so the vibrations travel. Just a nature of the beast, but they're not bad at all! Barely any more vibration than the engine itself and that's how I know my fan is coming on and working properly.

Does anybody know if this will work for the 4th gen 4.7s?
I've heard of some 4.7s coming with the e-fan.

Can you get a pic of the electrical plug on the driver side of the fan shroud? I could tell you for sure if you could post the pic.

Last edited:

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try to get a pic in a few hours if it's not raining. I wanna say it's the exact same plug but not 100% sure

operator

Professional Firefighter Captain
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
a few questions about e-fan...

does the e-fan void your warranty on the 5.7's if you use the factory v6 fan?

do i have to switch thermostats if so can i just switch thermostat and not change setting to 195 for the fan to come on?

I live in louisiana our weather here is bipolar rain one day hot the next and cold front the day after would this be something that would hold up to that? Some input from ppl who live in an area where it gets really hot during the summers would be helpful that is what my main concern is hot days. Will it hold up in traffic and on long trips?

Cobayashi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does the e-fan void your warranty on the 5.7's if you use the factory v6 fan?

do i have to switch thermostats if so can i just switch thermostat and not change setting to 195 for the fan to come on?

I live in louisiana our weather here is bipolar rain one day hot the next and cold front the day after would this be something that would hold up to that? Some input from ppl who live in an area where it gets really hot during the summers would be helpful that is what my main concern is hot days. Will it hold up in traffic and on long trips?

^^^^ im with this guy living in south Louisiana, if these can be done with minimal effort and warranty headache. i would consider this since its mostly plug and play while removing a good deal of parricide drag on the motor

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any long term reviews on towing with this? Also can anyone tell me the stock thermostat temp is

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No towing here, just hauling ass and it has been holding up great!

Stock thermostat is 203-205.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I just ordered the fan from the link in the original post. I can't wait to get this done, I've had the thermostat laying around for a few weeks now waiting to do this all at once.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any negative effects if I do the install but leave clutch fan on? Till I can get it removed?

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or will it act just like the stock setup?

Last edited: