How's this for CRAZY....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hot Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I got a crack in my 2019 1500 Laramie Longhorn, Gieco arranges for Safelight to come to my house to do the repair (I insisted on O E M glass), An hour or two into the repair the tech comes to my door to tell me that he has to drive the truck to re-calibrate, but that the battery is somehow dead! (I drove the the truck a 1/2 hour b4 with of course no problem). O.K., so I start her with my booster pack & off he goes, only to come back 2-3 minutes later now telling me that the truck won't up-shift out of 1st. Sure enough, no shifting AND now the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree! Technician calls his shop, talks to his boss who tells me that it's not their fault & it's just "coincidence" ! So here I am now footing a $1000+ bill from the Dodge dealer to where it had been towed & I'm having to file a small claims case against Safelight!!! Anybody got any ideas ???? THANX!

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Is it the original battery?

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm on my 3rd windshield in as many years with no issues.

Is it possible the tech got anything wet?

It could be coincidence. Do you have any known leaks? I've learned not to rule out councidence.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like the battery failed . Have it load tested. Have you checked for any codes ? Probably a coincidence them working on it.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Do they do a water test when installing the new windshield?

Could he have got something under the dash wet?

If not, I'm not sure how Safelight could have caused the issue.

My bet is the battery was otw out and his install just pushed it over the line.

Interested to see what the 'fix' is going to be.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
since geico is the one who started this mess, i would let them finish it
(now i understand geico is a cut throat insurance company and your best interest is not theirs, so good luck with that)

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They leave the doors open for extended periods
Of time and that could of been the batteries last fight

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the battery was crapping out. Hopefully the o/p will keep us posted on the fix for the issue

My4thRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic Tradesman
Engine
V6 Pentastar
CRAZY........maybe I am. But I don't know why you would need to drive and calibrate a windshield repair?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CRAZY........maybe I am. But I don't know why you would need to drive and calibrate a windshield repair?
It's all the new stupid proof driving features, like lane departure, automatic braking, etc. I believe there's sensors inside the rearview mirror. I bet it's the combo of dead battery, and the Safelite guy screwing up the calibration (it probably plugs into the OBD2 port) with the wrong settings.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the sensors just unplug and i'm sure they've changed a lot of windshields without any issues. Hopefully Safelight trains their people to do the job right.

but, until we hear back from the OPster, we can all freely give our opinions...right? as for me, i'd let the dealer tell me what happened and if they find SL was at fault...go after them, now you have proof.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dammit!.....I would like to know the outcome of this also....
Like the Paul Harvey reference .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500