Hyperflashing? Defective?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So... my truck came with smoked head/tail lights, look cool, dangerously dark.

Checked the bulbs inside, figured out the lumens and bought LED brake lights that were almost 3x the lumens. Hoping being 3x brighter means they'd offset the smoked housing.

Looking online at hyperflashing, it's almost like when a turn signal goes out and the other one goes fast.

I plugged in the bulb for the rear brakes, pressed the brakes and nothing. Turned the bulb around. Nothing. Turned the car on and bulb was dim and ultra-fast flickering. Not at all like what I'm seeing in youtube videos.

Before I waste more money buying load resistors... is this how hyperflashing is? or something else completely and send the bulbs back?

https://amazon.ca/gp/product/B078XP97W3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you already install the resistors?

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Didn't come with any... ad said may need them if used with turn signals otherwise should be plug'n'play.

What I find odd is that it's not flashing/blinking like YouTube examples rather it's a very fast dim flicker. Plus, only turned on when truck was started. Expected it to have lit up when brake pedal pressed even with truck turned off, since the regular bulbs would.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well... was clear that the seller on Amazon wasn't from around here. Asked about the lights because not typical hyperflash behaviour, and wanted me to buy the load resistors to test with.

Was out last night driving, country road, and well, decided forget it. Smoke out on these lights are just too dangerous unless city driving (street lights) which I am mostly not doing. Highbeams were like dull daytime lights when driving. I am gonna install the LED headlight kit, which came with load resistors and canbus... see how those are before I ditch these.

Tails... had the car on, walked around and looked and don't seem that bad really... almost been rear-ended a few times since owning this truck, but really, the red light shows up pretty well... not sure what the deal is there.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about a 2003, but my 2014 has leds in tails with no resistors, but the led turn signals in the tails did need resistors. Some aftermarket lights have the resistors built in, but sounds like yours may not since the seller mentioned may need if using led in the turn signals.

Regardless, if you are going to try another set of led turn signal bulbs, you will need the resistors. Install them first and see if signals then work properly. If not, then maybe you need new led signal bulbs.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well, like I said... I'm not trying turn signals.... it was for the brakes. Everything I see online says you'll need load resistors for turn signals, no mention of brakes. Plus, these didn't flash like every example I saw online for hyperflashing, it was a very dimly lit fluttering, like 3-4 blinks per second, rather than a steady 1 blink per second. That's what threw me, and what the seller didn't seem to understand so, rather than buy load resistors and possibly still have an issue, I just returned them.

Do you recall which LED lights you purchased? I'm after something 800 lumens or greater in red so it will show up better than what I have.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Ah ya, I emailed them because they didn't list lumen, which was weird for a company that makes lights... been over a week and still no response. That's why I didn't get them. Maybe I'll give another search for it.