I’m adding amps and speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I decided to install my system to replace the alpine speakers. I have the 9 speaker alpine system with sub. Questions is I have a 4 channel amp, and was wondering if I should jump on a 6 or 8 channel amp and run each speaker separate? I ran all new speaker wire to the speakers all separate back to where my amps are. I can combine the front tweeters and front door, rear speaker and rear tweeters. The center speaker is a mid speaker. How should I wire that in? I’m think I need at least a 5 channel amp but I don’t know enough with this many speakers to wire it the best way. I can install it no problem, just needing some fine tuning assist. My subs have a separate amp so that not included in this. Thanks

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could just run a good component set with an x-over. How high end are you going to run a channel to each speaker? If you run front and rear tweeters together you have no adjustment from front to rear. Are you planning on running a DSP? I'm going to be using a Audio Control DM-810 on my setup eventually.
You could run the 5th channel to the center.

OP
OP
CG2742

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I have the dsr1. Also I plan on wiring the front tweeters to the front door. Rear to rear and separate for the mid I bought. Basically only using 5 channels.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@CG2742 Your wiring plan seems like a recipe for terrible sound. The reason you go active with the DSR-1 is so you can have each speaker on a separate amplifier channel and full control of what frequencies go to that speaker.

Wiring the dash and doors together without knowing what you’re doing will most likely result in blown tweeters or no midbass because you had to EQ it out to protect the tweeters.

If you only have a 5 channel amp, then I would suggest running the dash and doors (each on their own channel) and then a sub. You can leave the rear doors stock for now running off of the factory amp.

Down the road you can decide to add more amp channels. I don’t recall the specs on the DSR-1, but you’ll need 7 channels if your fronts are 2 way or 9 if you go with 3 way fronts. I personally LOVE 3 way fronts in these trucks. Put 2.5”-4” midrange in the dash and the tweeters in the sail panels. With a good DSP, you’ll be in heaven. You might be able to do that right now if you skip the rear doors.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly what components do you currently have (amp, all speakers, etc.)?

You can build a pretty incredible system in these trucks if you plan it out ahead of time. You can even do it in stages as your budget allows.