I did something stupid..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I put the wrong kind of transmission fluid in my truck. I was in a massive rush, didn’t pay attention to the fact that the bottle said ATF but it was “multi-vehicle” fluid and now my truck is shifting HORRIFICALLY slow. How do i fix this massive ******? And to be clear, it was “Valvoline max life full synthetic ATF fluid”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
You're just having hell with this tranny business eh.

Pretty much, strange bc i’ve had the best luck with the ZF in my 2 300s, The 2016 Limited shifts like a dream and in my 2019 C you can’t feel them. Can’t feel them in either vehicle more that i think about it.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Russell needs to hurry up with the ZF swap!!!

If all the factory Ram 4th gen parts go into the donor truck was else is there to worry about?

By factory I mean electronics like the TCM etc

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
If all the factory Ram 4th gen parts go into the donor truck was else is there to worry about?

By factory I mean electronics like the TCM etc

If you’re talking about the swap then tuning the TCM to what the engine is rated for, as for the 4.7 it’s 310 HP and 330 LB-FT/TQ

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have a question, for the first fluid swap, is it okay to keep the filter and stuff in the first time and drain the fluid out COMPLETELY from the pan via a pump?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I have a question, for the first fluid swap, is it okay to keep the filter and stuff in the first time and drain the fluid out COMPLETELY from the pan via a pump?

I don't see why not. The idea of the first change is to dilute as much of the bad stuff as possible. The second one I'd def change the filter and let as much drain as possible.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I don't see why not. The idea of the first change is to dilute as much of the bad stuff as possible. The second one I'd def change the filter and let as much drain as possible.

Yeah, i’m thinking about driving around 30 mins with the new fluid in, draining it, and then waiting a few days for the torque converter to drain back into the pan. Thank you!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You're welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about the tq it's moving fluid as soon as you start, it will only drain back half what's in it so there's that dilution. I would just basically drain as much as u can and then refill with good in the end. Should be fine.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
You're welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about the tq it's moving fluid as soon as you start, it will only drain back half what's in it so there's that dilution. I would just basically drain as much as u can and then refill with good in the end. Should be fine.

Thank you again, you’re always such a massive help for me, haha. I’ll let you know that results later, but ik changing the fluid to WHAT IT NEEDS will fix it up :)

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Now if I could just harness all The knowledge that's rattling around in my head I'd be good haha. Like a game of pong up there [emoji1787]

LOL that’s relatable as hell!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder