I Just Can't Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I swapped out my muffler again today.....I believe this makes my 11th muffler to date. If I recall correctly, I've had 14" Magnaflow, Borla Pro XS, Spintech 9000XL, Black Widow Venom 250, Solo Performance Mach 44, Flowmaster 50HD, Spintech 3000XL, 18" Hearthrob, Spintech 8000, 24" Magnaflow....and now a Dynomax 6" round Ultra-Flo. If interested, you can search my older threads for a rough breakdown of some of these.

I've been after a deep sounding exhaust with a descent amount of outside noise, but low interior sound with no drone. As you know, that's a hard combination to find. Some of the above failed miserably, while others were pretty good....but I just can't leave well enough alone.

So far I'm really digging the Dynomax Ultra-Flo. It's the 6" round model with 16" case (PN: 17223) 3" in and 3" out connected to a MF y-pipe. It sounds awesome. Deep tone and no drone. I've been driving around my normal routes and I haven't heard the least bit of drone (where I'd normally hear it with other mufflers). When I opened the box and saw how small the muffler is I thought it was going to be loud.....it isn't. Loudness wise I'd put it in the 14" Magnaflow territory.

Interior volume is lower than the MF 24" I've been running for the past few months. Exterior volume is definitely louder and deeper. It seems to be quieter at idle, but roars pretty good when accelerating. I'm not sure what will happen when I get more miles on it, but I'm really liking it so far. This isn't a muffler that gets talked about very much, but believe it ought to be on people's radar if your looking for a deep tone exhaust with very low interior noise, and healthy exterior volume.

I'd like to send a shout out to member abouttobeglue as I came across this Dynomax muffler reading some of his posts about the Gibson MWA race muffler.

Last edited:

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been through several myself. Just recently put my stock muffler back on because I’m so sick of the interior drone.

I have long tubes with no cats. So it’s been basically impossible for me to find a muffler that sounds good and doesn’t create the drone.

MoparTed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Well, I swapped out my muffler again today.....I believe this makes my 11th muffler to date. If I recall correctly, I've had 14" Magnaflow, Borla Pro XS, Spintech 9000XL, Black Widow Venom 250, Solo Performance Mach 44, Flowmaster 50HD, Spintech 3000XL, 18" Hearthrob, Spintech 8000, 24" Magnaflow....and now a Dynomax 6" round Ultra-Flo. If interested, you can search my older threads for a rough breakdown of some of these.

I've been after a deep sounding exhaust with a descent amount of outside noise, but low interior sound with no drone. As you know, that's a hard combination to find. Some of the above failed miserably, while others were pretty good....but I just can't leave well enough alone.

So far I'm really digging the Dynomax Ultra-Flo. It's the 6" round model with 16" case (PN: 17223) 3" in and 3" out connected to a MF y-pipe. It sounds awesome. Deep tone and no drone. I've been driving around my normal routes and I haven't heard the least bit of drone (where I'd normally hear it with other mufflers). When I opened the box and saw how small the muffler is I thought it was going to be loud.....it isn't. Loudness wise I'd put it in the 14" Magnaflow territory.

Interior volume is lower than the MF 24" I've been running for the past few months. Exterior volume is definitely louder and deeper. It seems to be quieter at idle, but roars pretty good when accelerating. I'm not sure what will happen when I get more miles on it, but I'm really liking it so far. This isn't a muffler that gets talked about very much, but believe it ought to be on people's radar if your looking for a deep tone exhaust with very low interior noise, and healthy exterior volume.

I'd like to send a shout out to member abouttobeglue as I came across this Dynomax muffler reading some of his posts about the Gibson MWA race muffler.

Hope it works out but have you tried then Carven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I’ve been through several myself. Just recently put my stock muffler back on because I’m so sick of the interior drone.

I have long tubes with no cats. So it’s been basically impossible for me to find a muffler that sounds good and doesn’t create the drone.
I bet that sounds pretty good

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I recently switched from a Flowmaster 50HD to the Flowmaster 70 Series. Maybe not as much sound as "you" would want on the outside, but their chamber is long so it has a REALLY deep rumble to it. I started pulling a large camper so I didn't want a very loud exhaust since I am in the 3-4,000 rpm range a lot. The description says it is just a little louder than stock, but I feel it is quiet a bit louder than that. This is on a 6.4L 2500 & I dumped it before the axle so I do get some drone. For me it is the best sounding muffler I have ever bought.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope it works out but have you tried then Carven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope, haven't tried a Carven. Vids sound good but have heard complaints about drone and being on the loud side so I've stayed away from them.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I bet that setup is difficult to tame. What mufflers have you tried?

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I had a titan with jba LTs and high flow catted b pipes which I believe blew out after a few miles- you could see straight through the cats when they were new anyway, I had a mf 14 that instantly blew out and sounded terrible so I got a mf 22 and it sounded good at first then blew out after 2 months then I sold the truck. My point is it seems like if you have headers those packed mufflers don’t last they work fine in a stock set up though

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol I feel our pain, I'm at 10 now I believe and for me it's always the drone that make me change. I have long tubes headers so that isn't helping to tame the beast and need cold start to not wake up the dead and ideally my neighbor.

Tried different size Magnaflow and Borla ProXS, Flowmaster 50 HD, Carven TR, Vibrant Ultra Resonator, Mufflex J-Pipe

Tone wise the Flowmaster 50 HD was my favorite, but killed my up top power and was droning when the truck was full or towing. Carven TR was also very nice sounding, but only for a minute because was stupidly loud.

Next is the MF 22" 5x11 with my single exit tail chop right before the resonator (dump right after the axle), my issue with this one is that it would get full of water and freeze in winter making it much much louder. Installed a new one and made a 1/8 hole at the lowest part of the muffler and so far so good.

Things I would like to try are the Solo Mach 82, Borla muffler from their catback or true dual using 2 Borla ProXS (19" Body)

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol I feel our pain, I'm at 10 now I believe and for me it's always the drone that make me change. I have long tubes headers so that isn't helping to tame the beast and need cold start to not wake up the dead and ideally my neighbor.

Tried different size Magnaflow and Borla ProXS, Flowmaster 50 HD, Carven TR, Vibrant Ultra Resonator, Mufflex J-Pipe

Tone wise the Flowmaster 50 HD was my favorite, but killed my up top power and was droning when the truck was full or towing. Carven TR was also very nice sounding, but only for a minute because was stupidly loud.

Next is the MF 22" 5x11 with my single exit tail chop right before the resonator (dump right after the axle), my issue with this one is that it would get full of water and freeze in winter making it much much louder. Installed a new one and made a 1/8 hole at the lowest part of the muffler and so far so good.

Things I would like to try are the Solo Mach 82, Borla muffler from their catback or true dual using 2 Borla ProXS (19" Body)

Ha...glad I'm not the only crazy muffler guy here. I had the Solo Mach 44 and it was just a notch over stock with a deep tone and no drone. I believe it may be a tad quieter than the 22" magnaflow. The 82 has the same size case so maybe a good option for you. I don't have headers so take what I say with that in mind.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I’ve run dynomax ultraflows before and always happy with them. Loud but deep is usually what I get from them. I had a dynomax ultraflow SS catback on my 14 ram and it was fantastic 23” muffler but had 2.5” tailpipes but it was aluminized or 409 and it rusted on the muffler outlets and tailpipes and it took me forever to get it off to trade the truck in. I didn’t put it on my 18 due to the shape of the muffler outlets and tail pipes. It was deep and would put it around the 24” magnaflow for loudness but had no drone. Before the dynomax I had a 18” max flow (magnaflow clone) and it droned so bad I removed it 2months after install) and that’s why I went to the dynomax, just wish it was alittle louder but it was good bc of no drone.

On my 18 I kept it stock for a year and a half but decided to put on a 19” Borla pro XS and it’s much louder than stock but deeper. Cold starts and until it warms up it’s loud and it has alittle drone between 1500-2000 only in the lower gears depending on the throttle/load. But I can keep the drone away if I don’t kid the engine without it downshifting. I like the Borla just gotta figure out a way to take some of the edge/drone off. Thought about a resonator before the Borla to increase the effective length of the muffler but it’s so minimal it’s almost not worth it.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put on Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, (2.5" collectors) with no CATs and I'm using the Solo Mach 44. GDawg's muffler assessments steered me that way. Let's put it this way, it's quieter at idle than it was with the Flowmaster 50 and manifolds. It has more base than the Flowmaster 50 so I'd say it's a quiet muffler when you want it but still very authoritative when you want it to be. Sounds great at WOT.

It has minor drone if your lugging the engine, I'd definitely say it's a header tamer, I honestly think some on this forum would find it too quiet overall. I initially thought I might need a CAT installed with the headers but I don't think I will bother as it's pretty civilized and not obnoxious in terms of smell with the Solo Mach 44.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put on Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, (2.5" collectors) with no CATs and I'm using the Solo Mach 44. GDawg's muffler assessments steered me that way. Let's put it this way, it's quieter at idle than it was with the Flowmaster 50 and manifolds. It has more base than the Flowmaster 50 so I'd say it's a quiet muffler when you want it but still very authoritative when you want it to be. Sounds great at WOT.

It has minor drone if your lugging the engine, I'd definitely say it's a header tamer, I honestly think some on this forum would find it too quiet overall. I initially thought I might need a CAT installed with the headers but I don't I will bother as it's pretty civilized and not obnoxious in terms of smell with the Solo Mach 44.

Glad I was able to help. Hope you like the Mach 44. I enjoyed it for awhile until the muffler bug hit me again. I had no drone at all with that muffler but my truck is stock. Good to know that it can tame LT headers and no cats.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a titan with jba LTs and high flow catted b pipes which I believe blew out after a few miles- you could see straight through the cats when they were new anyway, I had a mf 14 that instantly blew out and sounded terrible so I got a mf 22 and it sounded good at first then blew out after 2 months then I sold the truck. My point is it seems like if you have headers those packed mufflers don’t last they work fine in a stock set up though
I’ve blown the insides out of 2 magnaflow mufflers. 18” and a 22” with my FBO/cammed hemi.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Instead of dicking around with the muffler, change your pipe and tailpipe diameter if you want a different tone. Could've had headers and full exhaust pipe upgraded instead of wasting it chasing tail.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet that setup is difficult to tame. What mufflers have you tried?
I’ve had a magnaflow 18”, corsa, borla proxs, magnaflow 22” and now back to a stock muffler.

it’s hard to tame the drone. I’m full bolt on, catless and cammed.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Resonance is easily cured by installing resonators that have nothing more than a "trap" chamber to let the drone die within that confined space. I'm surprised none of the exhaust folks have informed you of this!

Gohawks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's you guys thoughts on 5" tips for deeper sound?
Also any suggestions on reasonably priced 5" tips?

Thanks

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Resonance is easily cured by installing resonators that have nothing more than a "trap" chamber to let the drone die within that confined space. I'm surprised none of the exhaust folks have informed you of this!
I’ve already installed a 24” resonator before the muffler and it didn’t help with the drone at all.